Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Guatemala beekeeping  (Read 1690 times)

Offline glzim1979

• New Bee
Guatemala beekeeping
« on: May 23, 2020, 08:17:55 pm »
Hello all. I?m new here. Had a couple of questions. I live in northern Guatemala, Peten Department. But am originally from Pennsylvania. When I lived in Pa I had a couple of hives so I?m not completely new to bee keeping. Since moving to Guatemala I have notice a lot of bees around so I had a local carpenter make a couple of hives for me. I would have made them myself but lack the tools. I was able to remove a couple of hive from trees and also caught a swarm. I now have 6 hives and for the most part they are doing great. The bees range from extremely aggressive to extremely calm. I did run into some Africanized bees and believe me I want nothing to do with them. Bees that chase you for a mile I don?t want. Anyway two of my hives are ready for honey to be harvested. I used a fumeboard  in Pa to remove honey supers. I?m not sure what to use here. Any ideas? We live very remotely (totally off grid) and I don?t have access to a lot of things. Including bee equipment. My wife made my bee suit for me. The way some of the bees are here I would never think about opening a hive without a suit. Especially since last week when I got around 300 stings. Long story. And I made a honey extractor using a barrel and a drill. Can?t wait to try it out. I can make a time board but I?m not sure what would safe to put on it to chase the bees down.
The locals here have no concept of raising bees. When they want honey they find a wild hive and kill it to remove the honey. I have a couple of guys that are very interested in learning more about bees. Probably because a 2 liter bottle full of honey equals 2 days wages +.
Thanks in advance for any help
PS. I have yet to see any mites or hive beetles here.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Guatemala beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:34:37 pm »
Build you another super, but put a bottom on it.  Cover it with a towel or something you can lift and fold, as you don't want to expose the whole top. Remove one capped frame and brush the bees off. Place it in the empty super and cover. Repeat until honey is harvested or super is full. Carry it to the house covered.

PS. Welcome to the forum.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:41:30 pm »
Welcome!  It is good to have you. You are not alone In Guatemala using advanced beekeeping practices. There is a fellow there that I have learned from. He taught me to make my own efficient pollen traps for one example. Very nice and a nice family. He has never failed to be kind enough to answer any question that I have ask of him, (in spanish). I will give you the name of his youtube address.

Apicultura Cuilapa, Santa Rosa, Guatemala

Phillip Hall

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:03:09 am »
welcome  :happy:

what iddee posted is basically what I do when I harvest my honey.  Except that I do use a fume board under the box that I put the honey frames in.   That way it chases out the bees that I miss when I brush or shake them off the honey frames.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:59:28 am »
What about having someone build a triangle escape board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline glzim1979

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:48:27 am »
I?m not familiar with a triangle escape board. Do you have pictures or instructions?
Thanks.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:23:18 am »
This is what I use. You place it under the honey supers when you are ready to harvest, screen side down. Bees can crawl out but apparently can't figure out how to get back up. 

This link has all the info you need.  https://www.beeculture.com/make-a-triangle-bee-escape-heck-make-one-for-every-hive/

Offline Will C.

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:51:22 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kpBPcIa8Hc

Apicultura Cuilapa, Santa Rosa, Guatemala
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:07:06 am by Will C. »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 11:14:16 pm »
Search for this guy on youtube.  Apicultura Cuilapa, Santa Rosa, Guatemala

Same advice I gave in post 2

What do y'all expect from those Auburn Tigers this year? lol

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:40:19 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Will C.

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 02:10:26 am »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 02:59:44 am »
glzim1979
The video that Will C posted shows a very happy beekeeper that is showing off his honey that he has collected and anxious to get home. I suppose with the value of honey equal to wages that you gave the example, our friend there in the video must be doing well. One of the fellows in the video is a top soccer player there in that country. Im not sure how far away form this fellow that you arel. Do you have reliable transportation? Are you a Missionary?

Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 03:13:08 am »
I?m not familiar with a triangle escape board. Do you have pictures or instructions?
Thanks.

Try this on youtube. Devan clearly shows and explains how to use these.

Preparing to Harvest Honey with Bee Escapes
Devan Rawn

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 11:57:51 am »
Here you can find a lot of different styles of clearer boards. 

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/clearerboards.html
jimmy

Offline glzim1979

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 07:46:12 pm »
glzim1979
The video that Will C posted shows a very happy beekeeper that is showing off his honey that he has collected and anxious to get home. I suppose with the value of honey equal to wages that you gave the example, our friend there in the video must be doing well. One of the fellows in the video is a top soccer player there in that country. Im not sure how far away form this fellow that you arel. Do you have reliable transportation? Are you a Missionary?

Phillip

Thanks for the help guys. I will be trying a triangle escape board as soon as I get some materials to make one.
I?m not sure exactly where the folks in the video are from, but if it is where I think it is they are over a 13 hour drive from where I am, about 400 miles. I do have reliable transportation. A 15 passenger E350 with a 7.3 Powerstroke I drove here from the States. Sorry I don?t really follow sports so I?m not sure who the soccer (f?tbol) player is.  Because of Covid-19 almost all travel is restricted. Right now we are under a curfew from 5pm to 5am Monday through Friday. And Friday 5pm to Monday 5am. No leaving the house during curfew unless you want to be arrested and fined.
I am a missionary and the nearest town to me is El Naranjo. In the northwest corner of Guatemala. I actually live in a National Park. Parque Nacional Laguna Del Tigre. If you put the name of my town in google maps it tells you there is no route to your destination 😂.  I have only been here 10 months and my Spanish is still not very great ☹️  My children have learned it very fast and often have to interpret for me 😊

George

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 11:40:51 pm »
glzim1979

Phillip

Thanks for the help guys. I will be trying a triangle escape board as soon as I get some materials to make one.
I?m not sure exactly where the folks in the video are from, but if it is where I think it is they are over a 13 hour drive from where I am, about 400 miles. I do have reliable transportation. A 15 passenger E350 with a 7.3 Powerstroke I drove here from the States. Sorry I don?t really follow sports so I?m not sure who the soccer (f?tbol) player is.  Because of Covid-19 almost all travel is restricted. Right now we are under a curfew from 5pm to 5am Monday through Friday. And Friday 5pm to Monday 5am. No leaving the house during curfew unless you want to be arrested and fined.
I am a missionary and the nearest town to me is El Naranjo. In the northwest corner of Guatemala. I actually live in a National Park. Parque Nacional Laguna Del Tigre. If you put the name of my town in google maps it tells you there is no route to your destination 😂.  I have only been here 10 months and my Spanish is still not very great ☹️  My children have learned it very fast and often have to interpret for me 😊

George

Wow that was quite a drive! Stay in touch. Ask all the questions that you can muster lol. It is encouraging to see someone take his family and go the the far places for the sake of The Lord. Keep up the good work! Gods Blessings to you, your family, and your missionary work. I hope many come to The Lord and you are overwhelmed with Joy.

anything