Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Raw vs Pure Honey  (Read 4151 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Raw vs Pure Honey
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 11:56:57 am »
In most cases raw vs. pure on a label is marketing.  There is no governing body that polices the claims.  Think of all the varieties of honeys.  How pure are they?
What is funny is if you produce raw honey many people will be attracted to it but won't like the impurities or the fact that it crystallizes.  So raw is sold at farmers markets where the people searching for it already know what they are getting.  Pure is sold in a grocery market where the customer expects the honey to stay as it was purchased.  Ultra pure just extends shelf life so in a way it could be older.
So the bottom line is what you produce depends on who you sell to. Unless you are a con.

What he said ..... a lot of folks in my area buy honey in bulk from out of state package it and call it LOCAL. There is no law binding definition in my state for LOCAL HONEY. Another trickery buzz word is  ORGANIC. How far do bees forage? ORGANIC HONEY is not produced in the United States.
John 3:16

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 12:50:05 pm »
In a discussion we had about this here, a year or so ago, or perhaps I read it from the archives here. It seems that someone here told us that local honey is defined by your growing area. For example, zone 7 may stretch across several Southern States and this is what, if I remember correctly, what is considered local. (Zoning) I suppose because of similar plants in those zones? In other words a fellow in Georgia in a particular zone, may claim local all the way over into Mississippi IF they are in the same growing zone. This may not be accurate but was what I understood for the bottom line in the discussion. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 08:22:44 pm »
This type of thread is always fun. I'm in Florida and have seen honey from Alabama being sold as "local" as well as Tupelo honey and sourwood honey. Even seen honey marked as "Gluten Free" in health food stores. Seems that there are a lot of "Salesmen" who really spin a tall tale about raw and local honey. Some of the honeys sold at craft fairs are going for $25.00 per pint.
   It's all in the marketing, I label my honey with the type and extraction date along with the weight. My table had a big "Local Honey" sign on it along with the prices and when asked I tell them I'm local. I don't talk up the Raw Honey angle of my product unless I'm asked and then only say it's been strained through stainless steel mesh to remove pieces of wax.
  My honey production is small enough so most goes to regular customers which is a nice way to move any extra. Farmers markets can be a hassle with shoppers trying to bargain down the price. 

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 10:52:55 pm »
I appreciate all the responses.  I just got back from the grocery store.  Walked by the honey and saw a bottle labeled ?100% Pure Raw Unfiltered Organic Honey?.  I guess that covers all the bases  :wink:
@burleybeeyard

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 06:56:24 am »
Beeboy 01
We sell most of our honey at farmers markets, we never drop our price unless there is serious volume involed.
We sell 500g for $8. 1kg for $14, 1.5kg for $18 and 3kg for $30. so you see, increase the volume and the price gets better per kg.
For those who want to haggle these prices, like, will you sell a kg for $12, my answer is no, it will sell at the price tomorrow. It want go off.
Once the hagglers find you are not a soft touch, the hassle reduces to a non event.
Also you have the turkey who comes up and says "I can buy 3kg for $20 at my town, I just say "give me a phone number I want to buy it at that price"
If you believe your product is goog value then don't haggle.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 08:46:45 am »
Farmers markets can be a hassle with shoppers trying to bargain down the price.
Oldbeavo is right don't haggle.  If you want to say something tell them you have a limited supply.  No reason to lower the price.  Adjust your prices when you are not in front of customers if you have to.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 09:41:37 am »
Farmers markets can be a hassle with shoppers trying to bargain down the price.
Oldbeavo is right don't haggle.  If you want to say something tell them you have a limited supply.  No reason to lower the price.  Adjust your prices when you are not in front of customers if you have to.

Many are reporting in certain areas, a sharp decline in honey production this season, and if that is the case in your area,  you may say something like this;  "Due to the unseasonable cold and rainy weather due to Global Warming,"  (Yuppies and Millennials really love the Global Warming stuff), "the price may need to go up because of the lack of local, raw, healthy honey this season. I am trying to keep the price down but am considering going higher. May change my prices tomorrow."  lol
Do not haggle or drop your prices.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 03:24:10 pm »
In a discussion we had about this here, a year or so ago, or perhaps I read it from the archives here. It seems that someone here told us that local honey is defined by your growing area. For example, zone 7 may stretch across several Southern States and this is what, if I remember correctly, what is considered local. (Zoning) I suppose because of similar plants in those zones? In other words a fellow in Georgia in a particular zone, may claim local all the way over into Mississippi IF they are in the same growing zone. This may not be accurate but was what I understood for the bottom line in the discussion.

Yep, that is what those beekeepers in South Carolina that cross over into South Georgia to buy those barrels to repack will tell you. But I assure you that ain't what the customer thinks they are getting when they buy it. The customer thinks that label that has that SC address on it came from bees in SC not South Georgia :wink:
John 3:16

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 03:48:14 pm »
... But I assure you that ain't what the customer thinks they are getting when they buy it. The customer thinks that label that has that SC address on it came from bees in SC not South Georgia :wink:

Very true! ... I went to the local farmers market (some years ago) to buy "pure, raw, wildflower, local" honey. I asked where the honey came from. Answer: "We don't know but we can find out and get back to you next week".

So I came back next week - and got this answer: "Monterey county - beek has 1000 hives". So I asked - does the beek treat the bees? If so, with what? ... and with 1000 hives, does the beek engage in Pollination? ... Same answer "next week" ...

So I came back next week and got this answer: "Yes to treatment, Yes to chemicals  [don't remember which ones now], and yes to Pollination".

Monterey County is heavily agriculture with lots of chemicals used - this I already know - so, not the honey I was looking for. ... and definitely NOT LOCAL to my definition.

Another place I contacted sold "local" honey ... when I pushed, the answer was "It's from a local farm in Georgia". ... What? Really!?!? ... that's like, more than 2000 miles away! Local -shimocal my ---!

.... that's how I ended up getting my own bees - to get my own Local Honey.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 05:15:28 pm »

Yep, that is what those beekeepers in South Carolina that cross over into South Georgia to buy those barrels to repack will tell you. But I assure you that ain't what the customer thinks they are getting when they buy it. The customer thinks that label that has that SC address on it came from bees in SC not South Georgia :wink:

I heard it from a poster here at beemaster, who posted it for all the beemaster world to read.  I do not think he was trying to deceive when he posted it. Unless he was a crooked, honey by the barrel hauler, from South Carolina hauling form South Georgia which may very well be in a different growing zone? lol

You are right about folks wanting to know where it came from.  Almost everyone who goes to farmer markets are looking for the best quality and healthy foods and food products available, and are educated in that healthy value conscious minded way of thinking.  Most do, want to know where it came from. I do not blame them. Since we honest beekeepers, are supplying this great product of nature, in an unique atmosphere for such buyers, is just another reason why we should not budge on our pricing nor haggle about it, and not be timid or shy at charging a premium price for it. The true health conscious honey-eater already knows about the background of honey coming in from china and that sad story along with the type honey that many times comes from grocery stores.

Phillip Hall

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 05:36:54 pm »
I appreciate all the responses.  I just got back from the grocery store.  Walked by the honey and saw a bottle labeled ?100% Pure Raw Unfiltered Organic Honey?.  I guess that covers all the bases  :wink:

My honey only comes from "free range bees".  :shocked: :wink:   Another base covered !
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 06:24:17 pm »

My honey only comes from "free range bees".  :shocked: :wink:   Another base covered !
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2020, 05:34:43 pm »
 BurleyBee Did you decide on your label design and wording?

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:27 pm »

I tried to keep it simple and just go with Raw Honey.  I bought a Dymo Labelwriter for labels on the cheap.  I?m trying to post pics of label idea but having issues.
@burleybeeyard