Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Selling honey from Africa in the US  (Read 1430 times)

Offline jonbart

• Brood
Selling honey from Africa in the US
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:55:22 am »
Hi everyone:
I'm new to this forum and am not a bee keeper but was hoping for some advice on marketing honey from Africa in the US.
A group I work with, Village Hope (www.villagehopeinc.org) works on poverty reduction in Sierra Leone, West Africa.  Our strategy is to start commercially viable businesses that use state-of-the-art methods.  The businesses provide excellent jobs, and profits are used to carry out needed community projects.  All of us from the US serve as volunteers so our start up and operating costs are often very low putting us in a strong competitive position.  We call this approach the "Charity Business Model".  Producing honey and marketing it in the US is one of the businesses I'd like to investigate.
     I've looked into production, transportation, meeting FDA requirements, etc.  We would enlist the services of an expert (volunteer) bee keeper to launch the effort.  I'm a researcher (PhD in ecology) and would help where I could.  We have a great group in SL (we've been there for 9 years).  Together, I think we could bring high-quality honey to the US at a very competitive price.  My concern though is "How would we sell it?".  For example, could we establish a network, maybe even including some of the members on this forum, who would sell it (making money in the process of course)?  Is there a different, better way?  Every time I investigate bringing anything to the US I run up against the problem that I'm not confident I can find a buyer and, without that, I'm hesitant to invest our very scarce resources in the venture.
     Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.