Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving Honey from One Hive to Another  (Read 4594 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Moving Honey from One Hive to Another
« on: October 16, 2019, 06:59:01 pm »
I'm getting ready to redistribute some surplus honey from my big hive to my smaller hives this weekend.  Should I freeze the frames before I transfer them to help with pests like wax moths and SHBs?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Moving Honey from One Hive to Another
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:11:23 pm »
It would be insurance, but unnecessary if the smaller hives have enough bees to cover and protect it. I would wait until most nights were near or below freezing.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:13:36 pm »
Every circumstance and geographical area is different.  I freeze everything I take out of any hive, most of the time.  Why take a chance ?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:06:50 pm »
I'm getting ready to redistribute some surplus honey from my big hive to my smaller hives this weekend.  Should I freeze the frames before I transfer them to help with pests like wax moths and SHBs?   
You can redistribute my way if its some of that sourwood honey that you collected earlier....Haa Haaa Just Kidding.
Phillip

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 08:08:33 pm »
It would be insurance, but unnecessary if the smaller hives have enough bees to cover and protect it. I would wait until most nights were near or below freezing.

Iddee I know that you have a good reason for waiting until near or below freezing.  Please educate me Sir.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 08:09:15 pm »
Every circumstance and geographical area is different.  I freeze everything I take out of any hive, most of the time.  Why take a chance ?

Paus, I am buying a freezer just for such projects.
Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 09:59:35 pm »

Iddee I know that you have a good reason for waiting until near or below freezing.  Please educate me Sir.
Phillip
I was curious about your answer as well, iddee.  Do you wait until it's around freezing because then when the bees cluster and leave the frames unprotected, it's essentially like putting the frames in the freezer? 

You can redistribute my way if its some of that sourwood honey that you collected earlier....Haa Haaa Just Kidding.
Phillip
Hahaha!  You wish!  :tongue:  :cheesy:  There is the possibility that I'll have more surplus than the other hives need and I might get another frame or two for myself, but I'm fairly certain I got all the sourwood out of there in July. 

Paus, I am buying a freezer just for such projects.
Phillip
I wish I had more freezer space.  I can only freeze a couple frames at a time, and I can't get an actual box in my freezer.  This is part of the reason I asked this question, because leaving the frames out and unprotected by bees while they wait to be rotated into the freezer could risk moths and beetles taking over.  I'll probably just see how many frames I end up being able to steal, and see if I can fit most or all of them in the freezer or not, and let that determine my course of action.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 10:20:35 pm »
I almost always freeze frames before transferring them to another hive. Didn't do it last month, and just lost a small hive to wax moths.

... to me, a large chest freezer is SOOO useful.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:19 pm »
Does anyone here watch Ian Steppler youtube videos, (A Canadian Beekeeper's Blog)?  Ian is a commercial beekeeper.  Ian has a reefer trailer, looks like a 53 footer!! He uses this to place his combs, and he deep freezes them in this set up. I like the way he operates there in Canada. He is a really nice, busy man, raising crops, beef, bees and honey products along with raising a family. With all this work, he still will take the time to answer our questions. A swell guy.
Phillip

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 10:35:40 pm »
Does anyone here watch Ian Steppler youtube videos, (A Canadian Beekeeper's Blog)?  Ian is a commercial beekeeper.  Ian has a reefer trailer, looks like a 53 footer!! He uses this to place his combs, and he deep freezes them in this set up. I like the way he operates there in Canada. He is a really nice, busy man, raising crops, beef, bees and honey products along with raising a family. With all this work, he still will take the time to answer our questions. A swell guy.
Phillip

That is a Great Idea! Thanks Phillip.

P.S. - never heard of him.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 10:41:19 pm »
Phillip

That is a Great Idea! Thanks Phillip.

P.S. - never heard of him.  :grin:

Check him out Alan, he does a blog almost every night. Usually not very long, 3-7 minutes I would say on average; kind of  like a living diary, or a recorded record of his day to day life there. He shares some really good stuff.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 11:31:42 pm »
Ben, you told me about Ian months ago.  I look at his videos.  Yes, he has some great videos.  Thanks for the tip? Phil
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:49 am »
You are more than welcome Mr Van.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 12:36:45 am »
Quote Ben Framed
Phillip

Quote Member
Hahaha!  You wish!  :tongue:  :cheesy: 

:shocked::tongue: :grin: :cheesy:

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 04:54:08 am »
""Do you wait until it's around freezing because then when the bees cluster and leave the frames unprotected, it's essentially like putting the frames in the freezer? ""

Correct. A couple of freezing nights and all cool days mean moths and SHB quit raising brood.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 08:54:04 am »
A couple of freezing nights and all cool days mean moths and SHB quit raising brood.

Yup, that option is gone for me.  Meanwhile I got boxes stacked in my driveway.  Garage gets too hot to put them in the garage.  I am afraid a garbage bag would be the same problem.  I might loose the little bit of comb I brought down.  Not thinking I threw out an upright freezer that was in the garage... didn't have the boxes at the time.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 11:38:29 am »
Quote Ben Framed
Phillip

Quote Member
Hahaha!  You wish!  :tongue:  :cheesy: 

:shocked::tongue: :grin: :cheesy:

Phillip, as an additional response to your PM, I thought I'd put this here. 

All sourwood.  :tongue:  :cheesy:  :cheesy:   

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 12:05:27 pm »

Phillip, as an additional response to your PM, I thought I'd put this here. 

All sourwood.  :tongue:  :cheesy:  :cheesy:

Thats beautiful and I'm jealous!  :cool: Congratulations!

I planted one lowly Sourwood last year, and it's about 6' tall right now - gonna be a while ...

Trivia question: when is the BEST time to plant a tree? ... answer: 20 years ago.

When is the 2nd BEST time to plant a tree? ... today.  :cool:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 01:26:50 pm »
Thats beautiful and I'm jealous!  :cool: Congratulations!

I planted one lowly Sourwood last year, and it's about 6' tall right now - gonna be a while ...

Trivia question: when is the BEST time to plant a tree? ... answer: 20 years ago.

When is the 2nd BEST time to plant a tree? ... today.  :cool:
Hahaha!  So true.   :happy:

My mom took that picture with our really good camera.  As you can see, we had all the honey sitting out on the table, and in the evening as the sun was setting, the light would come through the window and make the honey glow, so my mom was calling this time of day "Honey-glow time".  :cheesy:     

The sourwoods are some of the first trees to get their fall colors, and you can see their bright red leaves sprinkled all over the mountains right now.  It's amazing how many of them there are around here.  I'm so lucky to be able to get such good honey.   

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 02:05:06 pm »
Unless somehow you know a honey is exclusively some varietal take care when selling any with such a claim.  New testing is allowing both the quick determination of if a honey has been adulterated, but also what plant the nectar came from.  I say this as it is as I understand it not terribly plausible for a bee hive to exclusively have any one kind of source. 

What I do, because I do sell to the public, I say that my spring honey is "Primarily" whatever plant I think it is.  keeps the hair splitters out of your hair.

That is a nice looking honey!