Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using "dirty' wax foundations to wax new plastic foundations?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline franklie

• Brood
Hi there,

I've melted down and processed old wax foundations to use to wax our new plastic foundations. I melted it down in water, scraping the floating wax off the top, and poured it through cheese cloth. I've repeated this process a fair amount of times. It's still quite dark.

I can't find too much, if any, information on if it's a super no no to use this wax to wax our new plastic foundations.

Any suggestions, or does anyone have experience with using very dark wax on foundations?

Thanks in advance!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Using "dirty' wax foundations to wax new plastic foundations?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 06:35:06 pm »
Use it. Melt it over water, not on direct heat, as in a double boiler. Use a paint brush to apply a liberal amount of wax over the entire wax foundation. Let cool well before installing into the frame.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 09:08:44 pm »
Iddee is spot on, I find a three inch paint roller with a foam rubber roller more efficient than a brush.
Nico

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 12:09:24 am »
Welcome  :happy:.

I assume that it is from your hives.  So you know the source.  In my opinion it is better/safer then the wax that is sprayed on the plastic foundation.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 01:53:20 pm »
Franklie,
Welcome to Beemaster.
As mentioned it is better to use your wax than bought wax for your hives. You say you are melting dark foundation. I assume you mean dark drawn comb. I melt down lots of brown and black wax.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 04:22:27 pm »
I use a crock pot from the thrift store to melt wax of any color.  To put it on foundation I really don't worry too much about cleaning it.
The bees won't care.
Paint it on any way you want, it will work fine.

anything