Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Did I make the right decision?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Did I make the right decision?
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:01 pm »
I've got a deep box that's busting with bees. 10 frame body. I'd like to expand them into 2 deep boxes before Winter. I went today and took out 2 frames of brood, and replaced them with frames of drawn comb. The other deep box that I put on top of them now has the 2 frames of brood, and 8 frames of drawn comb. What do y'all think?
Take a kid fishing !

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Did I make the right decision?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:27:28 pm »
Fish, sounds like you rotated the frames correctly.  From reading your text, the bees do not need to make wax as you used drawn comb.  All you need is food and the bees will do the rest.  Are you in a dearth, if so feed the bees.

Here in the Ozarks, lake Norfork area, we have received 0.20 inches of rain for the month of July.  Just south 60 miles out of hill country, folks have reported 5 inches of rain for July.  Needless to say this immediate area in is a dearth, so I am feeding and hoping for a good Fall flow.
Blessings

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:43:53 pm »
Thank you for the reply arkansas , we are in a dearth. I put a 5 Gallon bucket in a tree the other day full of 50/50 sugar water and told my wife that should last a week or so. Haha. It was gone that evening. Completely gone. And when we go outside we get investigated by bees. Especially my wife, she has long curly hair and puts all kinds of stuff in it to keep it from going CRAZY and I think the bees think it's something to eat. 😬😬😬
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:45:56 pm »
And yes sir. They do not need to make wax. Every frame I put on them was fully drawn out.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:16:53 am »
Is there any pollen in you hive?  Bees need pollen to raise more bees.  If you are in a dearth and feed sugar water,  they will just store it until they get pollen coming in.  I've had to feed pollen substitute during the summer dearth to keep them raising brood.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:05:17 am »
Yes, I also feed sub. pollen this time of year.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 11:52:16 am »
Fish, in the Old West days, a cowboy that overwintered at the most hospitable ranches just to get fed was called a "grub-liner".
Putting syrup out in an open feeder during a dearth is an open invitation to all the local 'grub-liners' to  fill 'er up.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 12:54:38 pm »
There is pollen in the hive. Brewster I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that they won't raise brood if I'm open feeding? They'll just fill up the comb with syrup?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 01:59:56 pm »
I think he is saying that if you are open feeding, you are feeding more than just your hives.

As long as there is pollen in the hive the bees can keep raising new bees.  If they run out of pollen then they will just store the extra sugar water/nectar.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 02:14:08 pm »
"Grub-liner" I appreciate the tib bit of info.  Never knew that,,,,,Always good to learn.  Thank you, Sir.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 02:25:06 pm »
Just looked up grub liner on Google. Pretty neat. Now I understand. I didn't know the meaning either.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 03:24:54 pm »
I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU GUYS THAT ARE TOO YOUNG TO HAVE NOT HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO  WATCH THE SATURDAY AFTERNOON WESTERNS..  NOT ONLY DID MOST OF THEM HAVE A LESSON IN MORALITY BUT YOU LEARNED A LOT, LIKE;  HEY JOE WHATCHU BEEN DOIN " RIDING THE GRUB LINE:"   SOME OF YA'LL AIN'T GONNA GET THE CHANCE TO BECOME CULTURED.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 04:28:32 pm »

(edit)
 "but you learned a lot, like, "Hey Joe whatchu been doing riding the grubline". Some of ya'all ain't gonna get the chance to become cultured."

Tis where I learnt "Hey howdy folks"... never a better grinding of tautology
could be found at any lame Scouts Club meet, the only alternative to the matinee :-)

No g00glin' folks... one sentence please on Rory Kalhoon, or tellus about the "Duke" if "Rory" stumps ya? ;-)

.. meanwhile, back at the ranch, Tonto, implaled on a door knob....

heh...

Bill

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 04:46:58 pm »
I'm 29, and I do still watch the old re runs of Westerns, and television shows that were on before my time. I'm not big on social media. I don't even have a face book. And no offense beemaster, but I wouldn't even be on here if I wasn't full of questions and trying to learn something. I listen to music that is from WAY before my time. Old Hank Williams (Hank senior) not Junior, although I like him as well. I also like old blue Grass music, old gospel and blues. Stuff that most of my friends don't like or even recognize. That's real music. Country music of Today is more like some sort of pop, or hip hop junk. They even have "country rappers" ......NO THANK YA!!  The only rap I listen to is usually some other idiots music that's blastin in the parking lot of the convenient store. I grow a garden, farm hogs and cattle, hunt with dogs and love my family. It's a struggle day in and day out but every single thing we have has been hard earned and scraped up from nothing.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 04:53:47 pm »
 MAYBE THERE IS HOPE FOR SOME OF YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS AFTER ALL.   

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:30 pm »
I will agree with you that it is about gone. I was raised by my grandparents for the most part so maybe that has something to do with it. It hurts me to see today's generation of kids that don't know what having fun is all about. It's all on a computer or cell phone. A kids mind is so powerful, I hate to see it wasted on electronics. Get your butt outside and go build a fort, go get hurt, throw rocks at the hornet nest, climb the tree, do kid stuff. Half the fun when I was a kid was hoping we didn't get killed, or get our butts whipped when we got home. I'm only 29 but things are sure different now. I can really see some of what the older folks are talking about when they say "times have changed".......it's sad to.
Take a kid fishing !

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 06:26:25 pm »
Whippersnappers: now that is a term I've not heard in a long time.  Fishnut, I like your style, young, but courteous and respectful ol Cattle rancher you are.  Blessings

In the old days, Don't forget the cartoons every Saturday mornings, Bugs Bunny et al.  I bought my first beehive (10 frame) in the 60's, yes 1964 there about and cost a whooping $35.00. That was 10 yards I had to mow.  Hamburgers 0.35 cents, coke 0.5 cents and bubble gum was a penny. 

Never heard the word "terrorist" there was no such thing.  In some ways the US has prospered since the 60's and in others gone astray.  I've grown old in this country and have no complaints.

My ears don't hear quite as good as when younger, however my eyesite has improved with age.  Yes improved tremendously.  Now I see beautiful things all around me, everywhere I look,,,, that I was blind to when younger.
Blessings

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 09:58:20 pm »
I'm with ya Arkansas.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 12:44:39 am »
(edit)
 I'm only 29 but things are sure different now. I can really see some of what the older folks are talking about when they say "times have changed".......it's sad to.

Make what you will where you find it, friend.
There are gems amongst the stones, it aint all bad. And much
past was, believe that. (eg)Do not mention the war which wasn't, as
some would have it :-/

Check out this lady, a real trooper and a lovely woman to boot!

http://www.catherinebritt.com
https//youtu.b  e/ZlhzpoI4Buk

Waves...

Bill