Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thoughts On Bottom Board Oil Trays  (Read 11194 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Thoughts On Bottom Board Oil Trays
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 04:45:10 am »
I've always had a question about bottom trays - it doesn't seem right [to me] to put something so "smelly" in a hive. It seems like the bees wouldn't "like" it (for lack of a more technical term).

If you've got a major problem - then you have too, for sure. ... I just wish there was some data regarding how things like oil trays affect the ecosystem (communication? Balance?) in a hive. ... just my thoughts really.

(Disclosure: It's easy for me to say this - I don't have the problem)

Good thread Phillip - this question has been "bugging" me, and I hope you don't mind.

Alan

I think that is a very good question Alan.  Last late summer, early fall, I had cut out some hives from some homes.  What looked fun and easy by Schawee and JP, wasn't so easy for me! I don't know if I was called as a last resort person, and others had culled the jobs that I was "lucky enough to find"or weather it was just luck of the draw! 😁 I did not get one Easy cut out. They were either Hard to reach, high locations, tight spots, sun bearing down no shade no help etc. . Well I got em and I was in the bee business! .😊😁 And I was one happy fellow and pleased that I had succeeded in spite of the odds!  All was good until the SHB showed up! Brother let me tell you! I tried most everything but still lost a hard earned hive! These monsters proved to be an up hill fight! After all the hard work sweat, time invested, equipment built from scratch etc, I declared war! I was determined to STOP the invaders! I ask here, Jim, Paus, Mr Van  and several others, as best to my recollection, steered me toward the sbb and oil pan, Mr Van to the earth material and freeze spray. Since I had access to free cooking oil, clean used oil, I choose this route. Now keep in mind. By this time it was late summer-early fall. I used the oil pans as described and this got them under control. I never had the stinking although I did have some pollen and many SHB in the pans. Now weather it was the mothers vinegar and water mix sealed with a thin layer of oil, or weather it was just not given enough time, being it was late in the season, I simply didn't have the stinking that others have described. But even if I had, I realize the cause of the smell would have been out of reach of the bees, which should have been sanitary, being the bees were on the other side of the screen and couldn't possiably touch the mixture, and to save or loose my bees was not be a hard choice to make. Now in Jims situation, he and his neighbor was totally infested. Mine had not reached this critical point in the time period that I have described, but losing even one hive is one to many. At least we do have a way to effectively do something with them, the (SHB). I am thankful to to all who advised me. And for all the help and advice given I appreciate. I do have the free oil and I do know it works, but, if it does start stinking, and to the unbearable point that I or the bees can't take it, I may Switch to the earth product, which Mr Van and Randy (628 dirt rooster) and others use. I am confident that this will also work as both of these fellows are pretty good folks and would not steer me wrong. But I am thinking the mixture that I used past season just may stop the stinking problem and I experienced no mold to speak of, as a matter of fact, I don't recall seeing any mold in my pans.
Phillip
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:01:07 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 08:11:17 am »
Keep in mind that if you are using water in the trays, you are adding humidity to the hive. May not be a problem in dry areas but here in Florida with constant 86% plus humidity, you do not want to make it harder to remove water from the nectar than it already is.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 11:48:22 am »
Good answer Phillip. You do what you must. I didn't want to treat for mites - but when you can't get 1 hive thru winter (if we have such a thing here) even with splits, and brood breaks, and drone freezing, and ... .... well, you do what you must.

If I went to all that work to get bees, I'd be ****** at the SHB also!  :happy: good work on your part. I bet cutouts sure feel rewarding.  :happy: ... not for me if I can help it - that always sounds like work, and I'm too lazy. I put out boxes and wait for them to come to me. Haha!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 12:18:12 pm »
I bet cutouts sure feel rewarding.  :happy: ... not for me if I can help it - that always sounds like work, and I'm too lazy. I put out boxes and wait for them to come to me. Haha!

Haha here too! I did this just to get started, it was very interesting, and a good way to jump in with both feet! You learn how to handle bees really fast! Thanks to JP and Schawee and their videos and correspondence was the key! That was the confidence builder that I needed! Thanks fellows!
 I aquired some hardy bees, but I won't be advertising for more cutouts that is, (If my seven hives make it through and so far so good!)! Now, if someone happens to call me then I might go and do it. I plan on putting out boxes and doing splits.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 01:30:19 pm »
Haha here too! I did this just to get started, it was very interesting, and a good way to jump in with both feet! You learn how to handle bees really fast! ...

You ain't just-a whoofin'. That's the deep end of the pool - for a beginner! Nicely done!  :cool: :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 01:35:45 pm »
Haha here too! I did this just to get started, it was very interesting, and a good way to jump in with both feet! You learn how to handle bees really fast! ...

You ain't just-a whoofin'. That's the deep end of the pool - for a beginner! Nicely done!  :cool: :cool:

Thanks, I had helped my uncle a little when I was younger, I was very little help.  More in the way was probably a better description.  :shocked:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 03:14:36 pm »
Phillip - the impact that adults have on a child's life is amazing to me. And you just don't know what will impact them.

My dad had bees for several yrs. He built a large platform overlooking the valley (upstate NY) and set 2 hives on it. The platform could have easily fit 40 hives. Then he got stung somehow thru his full body bee suit (I can still see him in it) and had a bad reaction. He never went near those hives again, and instructed us to never go there also. ... So, I built a fort under the hive platform. I spent countless summer hours in my fort, watching in fascination thru the cracks above as the bees came and went about their business. ... I've wanted bees ever since.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 08:11:59 pm »
I've ended up making my own screened bottom boards with a tray out of redwood for SHB control.

Here's a SHB kill after 24 hours using soapy water.

Most of the time I keep the trays dry and inspect and clean them every five days or so.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 10:59:02 pm »
Mr. Ben: the oil works, oil with water and/or vinegar works, water and soap work, diatomaceous earth works.  They all work, some are more suited for specific areas but I could use any above and kill beetles.  Do what is easiest and productive for you.

I use diatomaceous earth with a small plug of pollen patty for bait.

INFESTATION:  In 2016 I had a feral live within range of my bees and the feral hive was a breeding factory for beetles.  Being in a tree, the larva could drop to the bottom of the tree, cocoon and off and running.  Larva did not even need to leave the hive with soft bottom, rotten wood.  I had beetles arriving in my hives averaging 1 beetle every 45 seconds.  My sbb caught 20 beetles a night per hive.  Many bees made it into the hive.  I did not lose a single hive but had to work constantly at eradicating.

The only good thing about a feral hive loaded with beetles is they don?t survive for long.  So the following year, 2017, the beetle population dropped tremendously.  There are no registered hives within 3 miles of my apiary.  However beetles can fly for miles, I have bee told.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 12:11:50 am »
Yes Sir Mr Van, I am confident that all these methods work with the testimonials given by so many helpful beekeepers. Soapy water, oil, and diatomaceous earth beneath the SBB. And one more thing I will add to the arsenal of defense. I fully intend to have on hand, some of the freeze spray that you use as well. It's wonderful to have these options, especially after loosing a hive to the beetles. It was an aweful sight and a sick feeling, seeing my bees with the maggots, slime and stench that the yeast mixture of the fermented mixture, afforded. Wasted honey and lost hard work. For the time being, I will stick with the oil. I have an abundant supply and it was free. I will keep an open mind to the other tried and true methods as well. I suppose that with the small hive beetle, being so prevalent here in The South, it's a wonder that any feral hives can survive. It was nice to find such hives, my starter hives, and have the opportunity to use the cutout method to retrieve them. One thing that I noticed on the feral hives was the color of the bees and their queen.  A darker colored bee than the queens that I purchased from David at barnyard bees. However the queens that I got from David, quickly built up the nucs, from my emergency splits, and in the late season I may add. I am looking forward to the coming season and making as many splits as is reasonable in a reasonable time frame. Thanks to you all here for your input which = help.
Sincerely Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2019, 12:27:48 am »
I've ended up making my own screened bottom boards with a tray out of redwood for SHB control.

Here's a SHB kill after 24 hours using soapy water.

Most of the time I keep the trays dry and inspect and clean them every five days or so.

Beeboy, I like your trays. Good set up!! Knock em dead !! Thanks for posting ..

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 02:01:34 am »
Ben, just got back on tonight, yes pans go from side to side.  Now I made the wider at the top to cover from one side to the other, with a little slant on the sides to a slightly narrower bottom and the pan depth is about 2 1/2 in. and I fill them from 1 1/2 to 2".  I have a hinged cover for the opening where I slide the pan in and out , with a screen door latch to keep it closed.

Joe D

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 11:14:52 am »
That is the way I am making my latest "prototype" DSBB. This has prevented the comb from being built on the bottom of the screen of the bottom board and no bees can get in the oil to drown,  I am also using 1 to 2 inches of oil in aluminum casserole dishes.  I make them stronger by rolling the edges to fit in a 2 1/2 inch door, and this makes them much stronger so the pan can be removed to strain the oil or discard as needed.  Maybe another tip,  I use a high speed cutter with a 3 inch abrasive wheel to cut the #8 hardware cloth, fast and accurate, AFTER the cloth is stapled to the wood. This leaves a smoother edge.   Cost of the cutter $20 -$30 dollars.

Offline BrianMcq

• Brood
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 02:13:05 am »
I use screen bottom boards > whe I find a hive infested heavily with SHB I insert the tray with oil, open up the hive and dust the bees with powder sugar , Works well for me. I remove the tray within 24 hours
Gets rid of most of the SHB and some mites at the same time. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 06:31:12 am »
I use screen bottom boards > whe I find a hive infested heavily with SHB I insert the tray with oil, open up the hive and dust the bees with powder sugar , Works well for me. I remove the tray within 24 hours
Gets rid of most of the SHB and some mites at the same time.

Thanks BrianMcq, Your method, is one that I haven't heard of, at least in the same way. Sounds like a good plan, thanks for sharing. Does the power sugar also help run the beetles down along with the mites, or do you think they, (Beetles), would wind up in the oil irreguardless? And by the way.
Welcome to Beemaster!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:02:45 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2023, 07:47:32 am »
I have mentioned several times through the years that Beemaster2 and Paus taught me the use of oil trays for "Small Hive Beetle"riddance. This is one of those conversations. Coolbees also chimed in, reporting of the devastation of yearly colony loss from "Varroa Destructor". He reported he could not successfully make it through even one winter without treating...

I am refreshing this for both causes, mainly Small HIve Beetles and the use of oil trays..

Phillip

Offline Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2023, 08:57:13 am »
Do we have these beetles in SEPA? If so, the  info will be of value to me. I was talking with my neighbor yesterday and we were discussing hives and hives maintenance. He said that he has not had a SHB problem but he's new to it and I'm not so sure about his uncle who is is mentor. He also assured me that we have no varroa mites 'round here and I'm not so believing that, which makes me question his SHB claim even more. Additionally, he has had hives die and abscond this year so I'm really suspect.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2023, 09:48:33 am »
Terri,
SHBs have a hard time surviving that far north. They cannot survive a freeze and if you still have a deep frost line there larvae will be killed during winter. Only SHBs that are in the hive during winter can survive so if you do a good fall inspection and kill any in the hive they are not a problem.
Very few beekeepers have SHB problems that far north.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2023, 11:03:54 am »
Just to clarify, you do definitely have varroa mites though.  :smile:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2023, 11:08:04 am »
Yes even TheHoneyPump has to deal with Varroa Destructor in the 'far' North of Canada..