Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping with disabilities question  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Clcotner

• New Bee
Beekeeping with disabilities question
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:27:01 pm »
I have a significant tremor in both hands.  I?m worried that taking frames in/out of the hives is a delicate operation.   Would there be a significant downside to us having only nine frames in a 10 frame box so that I have a lot of room between frames? I?m thinking that by having nine frames I would have a lot of room between the frames and I wouldn?t be as likely to crush bees when I try and remove frames.  I?m just concerned that having a smaller number of frames might prove difficult for the bees regulating the temperature in the hive.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Beekeeping with disabilities question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:43:42 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Clcotner.

I'm think that: If you leave space between the frames, the bees will cross-comb that space to their liking, making it harder, not easier to pull frames. Hopefully others will chime in on this.

All the best,
Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 06:04:21 pm »
Howdy Mr. Clcotner and welcome.  Do you mind if I call you Mr. CL?

I know of several Beeks that run a 9 frame spacer in a 10 frame hive.  Nine frame spacer is a common item for sale at the larger suppliers.  Hand tremor is a pain, I have to deal with such and makes grafting eggs difficult.  I can take a med for tremor that helps me a lot, non narcotic non addictive, no ill feelings that are noticeable to me.  Ask your doc, maybe,,maybe not,,, help in your case.  I deliberately did not name the medication as I don?t think Beemaster is the correct place to mention.

I also am developing bumble fingers, that is bumbing into items and knocking things over with my hands.  No complaints, comes with age.  So when I work frames, graft eggs etc. I pay special attention and that issue is solved.  Just a note, bee stings on my hands appear to lesson my arthritis issues of my hands.  Ya know, just occurred to me, now that I think of it, I am a physical mess but a happy old fert. 
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 06:32:03 pm »
Hi Clcotner,
Great question.  I offer the following imho for you consideration.

In the brood chamber you must not violate bee space.  You can definitely go 9 frames or less in the 10 frame brood box, however you must use a frame blank(solid plywood board the size and wide of a frame), or follower board to comply with the bee space within the brood frames. Keep the brood frames pressed together tight and put the blank on one side. When you go to play with the bees, remove the blank from the edge and enjoy the extra space for working the bees.

The 9 frame spacers are used regularly in the honey supers.  Where it is advantageous to have thicker frames of comb to make uncapping and extracting more efficient.  Seriously advise to not use them in the brood chamber. Doing so you will encounter many more nest problems and handling issues than you may be currently having.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Clcotner

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 06:49:30 pm »
Thanks to all of you for the quick and thoughtful feedback.  It helps a great deal in looking into how to go about this

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 09:05:34 pm »
ClCotner,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Good info below but I recommend that you just stick to 10 frames in your hive and always pull one of the outer frames first. This is standard Beek practice. The edge frames usually have the least number of bees and a laying queen rarely goes to them. Once this frame is removed it enables you to move the next frame to make it easy to safely remove the other frames. When you get done, push the frames back tight and put the last frame back in.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:27:56 pm »
Jim: {When you get done, push the frames back tight and put the last frame back in.}

Jim, AGREED, I read a survey of beekeepers mistakes.  The single biggest mistake made by beeks was not pushing the frames back in,,,, as you described.  I was one who frequently forgot, although I was not part of the survey. 
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:15:20 am »
Follow the advice of keeping the brood frames together.  I don't think the tremors will be a game killer but you will have to try before that can be really answered.  A frame grabber may be an advantage for you because it gets your hands away from the top bar and you can use gloves more successfully.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:24:21 am »

In the brood chamber you must not violate bee space.  You can definitely go 9 frames or less in the 10 frame brood box, however you must use a frame blank(solid plywood board the size and wide of a frame), or follower board to comply with the bee space within the brood frames. Keep the brood frames pressed together tight and put the blank on one side. When you go to play with the bees, remove the blank from the edge and enjoy the extra space for working the bees.

I?m working the broodboxes for 4.5 years now like that and love it. I use a frame grabbing tool too, while pressing it your hands might not shake so much.
Between follower board and box wall I have a little space the bees like to use to cluster up and make a highway to reach the honey super, so they don?t have to go through the broodnest area, which is very good. Ventilation to dry honey is better too ( bottom entrance).
If they build some wax there I scrape it down before pulling the board and it will not hurt the queen, because she is behind the follower board.
My gloves stay much cleaner too.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 12:31:04 pm »
>Would there be a significant downside to us having only nine frames in a 10 frame box so that I have a lot of room between frames?

The problem is that there won't be more room.  Bees fill all space available with honey, so brood frames that are 9 frames to a ten frame box (1.5" on center) will have fat honey at the top and bottom.  If it's an issue, maybe you should consider a follower board or two.  That gives you an easy to remove board that makes some space before you start off.  If you only have tremors when trying to have fine control, that shouldn't be much of a problem anyway.  Just pry all the frames to one side then pry the first one over and you should have enough room to get it out easily without any need for fine control.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 12:56:37 pm »
I have done 9 frames in a brood box by accident.  Don't do it.  It will be a mess and make it much harder to remove them for inspection.  If you remove frames starting on the outside, you should be fine even if shaky.  I don't think the bees will care much. 

Best advice?  Tuck your pants into socks or boots in case you drop a frame.  We have all done it.  Bees up the pants will be something you only want to do once! 

Put an empty box next to your hive.  You can put a few frames in it as you inspect and give yourself more room in the box you are checking.  Just put the frames back into the hive in order.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 01:07:13 pm »
>Bees up the pants will be something you only want to do once! 

I think you are mistaken.  I've done it several times and I have never wanted to do it once...  It's something you won't want to do at all and will regret if you do it once.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 01:49:57 pm »
I think you are mistaken.  I've done it several times and I have never wanted to do it once...  It's something you won't want to do at all and will regret if you do it once.  :)

Lol.  IDK.  I would not want to have deprived my granddaughter of the entertainment!   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 09:09:30 am »
> I would not want to have deprived my granddaughter of the entertainment

OK.  Maybe YOU would only want to do it once.
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 09:08:21 am »
I dropped a frame once and backed tracked so fast I stumbled and fell.  Luckily I didn't get stung but the heart rate went up!
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything