Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A tree fell on my hive.  (Read 3947 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
A tree fell on my hive.
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:27:46 pm »
Been traveling the last few days. It stormed continuously here while I was gone. Arrived back home late last night. Delayed flights, lost baggage, etc. Seattle was a mess yesterday. Snow level came down to 200 ft above me last night. Strange waking up to a white world here.

This morning I rush off to work.

I get a call mid-morning. A neighbors large pine tree fell on one of my hives - sometime in the last few days.

Rush home. It was a mess. Hive scattered across the gound in peices. Lots of dead bees and dead brood. Rains washed out most uncapped honey.

I saved about 14 medium frames of bees. Didn't see the queen, but she could be in one of the clumps. All is put back together and quiet now. 

I guess I'll check for eggs in 4-5 days. If I don't find any, I'll give them a frame of eggs then.

Any other suggestions?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: A tree fell on my hive.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:44:53 pm »
That's a bummer.  Of course feed if there is nothing out there for them yet.  You can always combine and split later if there is not queen.  I don't know if your drones are flying yet.  If not, eggs won't do them much good. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 11:35:54 pm »
We have a full bloom going on right now, with lots of nectar and pollen coming in. They still had 7+ frames of capped honey that seemed ok. Young bees were hatching as I carefully moved frames - that was cool to see - boy they look funny! Little gray-to-white fluff balls.  :grin:

All of my hives are producing drones right now. So I think they could get a queen mated. Last year I open mated my first queen from a frame of eggs that I picked up from a friend on February 11th, so I think they'll be ok.

I sure felt bad for them though. Poor girls!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 11:55:13 pm »
Mr. Cool, sorry about the tree damage.  Sickening to lose a hive to bad weather.  I know you care about your bees.  But, with a split or two form another hive in a short while, you will be back to business.

Courious, is your neighbor liable for your hive?

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 12:10:21 am »
... Courious, is your neighbor liable for your hive?

Good question Stinger. My thought is - Well, guess I could have put it further from the trees ...

I have a hard time blaming him. The wind was strong, and the tree fell.

We've never had any large trees fall down before. This is the 3rd one this year. The other 2 were ours a couple weeks ago. Lots of storms and rain this year which is a good thing for us. I cut the other 2 trees up already for next years firewood. I'll do the same with this one, after the ladies calm down. Probably wont even tell the neighbor, except to explain why his fence is fried in that spot, when I see him.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 09:07:15 am »
Van, why would that be?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 10:15:10 am »
Before Hurricane Michael blew through here, I had relocated 2 hives to another area of my yard. Good thing I did because a pine tree fell across the spot where the hives were, crushing the concrete blocks that I had left behind. Good Karma for a change!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 10:21:44 am »
Van, why would that be?

Ace, tree is on property A, tree falls on property B and does damage.  I don?t know if there is liability or not.  Just thought I would ask.  I hope someone knows and answers.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 10:42:17 am »
Around here it usually is "higher force" (like storm etc.), so the tree-owner is out.
unless....the tree was maybe damaged and bound to fall. I guess every case is different.
If a tree fell on our house in a storm, it would be "higher force", no doubt. In an urban environment, I don`t know.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 12:45:22 pm »
Around here it usually is "higher force" (like storm etc.), so the tree-owner is out.
unless....the tree was maybe damaged and bound to fall. I guess every case is different.
If a tree fell on our house in a storm, it would be "higher force", no doubt. In an urban environment, I don`t know.
That's how it is in my area too, I believe.  If the tree was damaged and the owner of the tree did nothing, and then it falls and damages other property, then it's the owner's fault.  If the tree was healthy and falls in a storm or something though, no one is at fault. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 04:54:01 pm »
Here's some pics of the mess ...

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:26 pm »
And after getting the lower Brood box back together ... with lots left to do.

I'm surprised so many of them lived.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 06:37:32 pm »
Again sorry for mishap...

-However, nice looking mess of bees, drone brood, great salvage job, Cool.  Yes, let us hope the queen is in good condition.

-Oh my, what beautiful lush green grass.  Will be here in Ar, shortly, green grass that is....now all I see is brown ground, rocks and dead leaves, bare trees.  So the pic of lush green is refreshing.

In two days, another dog gone cold front, mid teens, got to love it...70F then 17F and the bees survive.

-just starting to see the winter bees leave the hive and die.  One bee on the wire of my screen porch has not moved in two days.  Just a lil oh bee all by herself.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 06:53:30 pm »
My goodness Stinger. I hope you guys in the middle get some warmth your way soon!

I was raised with 4 Seasons, and I do miss them. But right about now, it's nice to have warmth and green. ...although it froze last night - it wasn't supposed - gotta love the weather man: he can't figure out what the weather is going to be 12 hrs from now, but he's positive the weather 50 yrs from now ...  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway - my 14 newly planted citrus trees took the freeze hard. Hope they make it. I'd have covered them, but the forecast was for 40 deg overnight.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 09:47:21 am »
In two days, another dog gone cold front, mid teens, got to love it...70F then 17F and the bees survive.
Van it is hard to envision the rest of the world when you live down here.  I planted this seed a week ago.  They must put steroids in the seeds.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qzBLKRL9L9XcDrHA8

We had a cold front that was the result of the rest of the country's blast last week.  It got down to the low 60's and everyone put on their winter cloths and jackets.  Makes me laugh.

Coolbees, you should have asked your neighbor to help you rebuild the hive seeing is how it was his tree that knocked it over.  LOL
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 09:06:51 pm »
Ace, beautiful green lush grass, my eyes envy.  Current temp 25F here Ar, 7:00 pm.

Ace, Buddy you moved from far North (NY?) to Fl, I moved from Montana to Ar.  Yes Sir, I like further South, warmer for sure.  Good move for both of us.  Warm weather is appreciated by all us, that is YOU, ME, OUR BEES.

Although, I would not trade my Montana days, a beautiful state for the young as I once was.  Bees are much easier to manage in Ar....  Just a few more weeks and blooms everywhere, I can hardly stand it.  BEEBOY in Florida, was kind enough to share the current pollen, bee forecast.  I was livid with envy.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 12:39:45 am »
Been traveling the last few days. It stormed continuously here while I was gone. Arrived back home late last night. Delayed flights, lost baggage, etc. Seattle was a mess yesterday. Snow level came down to 200 ft above me last night. Strange waking up to a white world here.

This morning I rush off to work.

I get a call mid-morning. A neighbors large pine tree fell on one of my hives - sometime in the last few days.

Rush home. It was a mess. Hive scattered across the gound in peices. Lots of dead bees and dead brood. Rains washed out most uncapped honey.

I saved about 14 medium frames of bees. Didn't see the queen, but she could be in one of the clumps. All is put back together and quiet now. 

I guess I'll check for eggs in 4-5 days. If I don't find any, I'll give them a frame of eggs then.

Any other suggestions?

I think what you did was just fine. And yes I live near Seattle and have lots of snow and wind.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 01:38:05 pm »
I think what you did was just fine. And yes I live near Seattle and have lots of snow and wind.

Thanks for that dtown. I hope you get some warmer weather soon! When we landed in Seattle, I looked out the window and wondered "where's the ground?" ... between the thick fog to the ground, a foot or so of snow on the runway, and thick snow falling, I couldn't tell. Cudos to the pilots for landing in that mess.  :happy:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 01:39:54 pm »
Ace, that is some fast growing grass! Nice backyard also. Me-thinks that backyard needs some bees to be complete.  :grin:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 01:42:42 pm »
Stinger - what part of Montana dI'd you live before? I go up there a couple times per year. I've seen a lot of hives up on the Shields river. Very pretty country! ... my avatar photo was taken high up in the mtns there also.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 01:53:31 pm »
Alan, I had a situation last fall where one of my hives was knocked over creating a real mess as the frames were from cutout, rubber banded, filled frames. A bad mess !! I salvaged what ckukd be. Searches and searched for the queen. No sign of her. I preferred 4 queens from David at Barnyard Bees, I was thinking oh well the damage is done. I might as well make splits with what is left. The queens came in  I checked once more to make sure there wasn't a queen.  Amazingly there she was, and me with four new queens. So I split them anyway, along with borrowing a few frames from other hives. I am happy to tell you this turned out to be a blessing. Went into fall, instead of one hive, five nucs, and so far 05 or still thriving, along with my other cut out hives. What started as a bad situation, turned out to be a blessing.  This was done by voice text. Please excuse any wrong words or misspellings as I do not have time to edit at this time.
Phillip

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 03:19:59 pm »
No worries Phillip. That sounded like it ended very well. This may end up a good thing, as I am not happy how this genetic line of bees has wintered, handled the mites, and come out of winter. I have 2 hives from this line, and they both have struggled. Recently I had lunch with the friend that gave me both genetic lines, and he told me that the parent line of these 2 did not make it thru the winter, which didn't surprise me. So I was planning to requeen this line of hives in may after the main flow is over, but I may be forced to do it earlier - which will probably increase my overall production for the season anyways.

Alan

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 05:25:14 pm »
Mr. Cool: Bitterroot valley 2 decades lots of bees and yellow jackets out the waszoo there.  Lewistown, 5 years.  Don?t think bees would do well in Lewistown, Central Montana, due to much wind East of the Rockies.  Queens would seldom return for mating flights, foragers the same.  I have never seen honeys bees nor wasp in central Montana, the wind is constant 335 days a year.  Almost every day.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 10:53:45 pm »
Stinger, very beautiful areas. I have a lot of friends in Park and Gallatin counties. Very pretty. ... but AZ is warmer  :happy:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 10:06:04 am »
Ace, that is some fast growing grass! Nice backyard also. Me-thinks that backyard needs some bees to be complete.  :grin:
That would go over big with the HOA!  Some dang fool is going rampant about squirrels in her house saying the community is infested with rats.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 03:36:36 pm »
That would go over big with the HOA!  Some dang fool is going rampant about squirrels in her house saying the community is infested with rats.

Hahaha! That sounds like Florida Ace - that place has its upsides, and downsides.

Maybe an acre of land nearby? Land is pretty cheap in places. Just a thought. :grin:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 04:31:36 pm »
A quick update on this ...

After nearly 3 weeks of cold and rain, it finally warmed up and dried out enough to open the hive and check the damage. Good news - somehow the queen survived the ordeal! Over 10 (med) frames of brood that should be hatching soon, and a good flow going. Hopefully this hive can take advantage of the season after all. Yay!   :smile:

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 06:29:19 pm »
CoolBees: that is cool, what we used to say as kids.  Good your queen made it.

That would go over big withthe HOA!  Some dang fool is going rampant about squirrels in her house saying the community is infested with rats.

Ace, here is what to do.  Tell the dang fool the one that can?t distinguish a squirrel from a rat,,,, tell the fool that HoneyBees hate and kill rats on site.  Want proof you say, well just look inside any beehive and I guarantee you will not find a rat in the hive.  There is your proof.  Hopefully the fool will stock up on beehives and generate some business for those kind Florida beeks that have posted pics and texted about pollen, nectar, brood and oh ya lush green grsss.  I luv reading about active bees in Fl, Az, As well as other warm places as my bees are mostly clustered.
Blessings

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 07:19:21 pm »
Allen, that is good news! I know that you are happy about the results. As I told you in post 20 My simular situation ended with more good for me than I had even hoped, I considered this to be a blessing for me, I just came in from checking on these late fall splits and all have survived thus far. Wishing more blessings and good things for you as well!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 10:43:12 am »
CoolBees: that is cool, what we used to say as kids.  Good your queen made it.

That would go over big withthe HOA!  Some dang fool is going rampant about squirrels in her house saying the community is infested with rats.

Ace, here is what to do.  Tell the dang fool the one that can?t distinguish a squirrel from a rat,,,, tell the fool that HoneyBees hate and kill rats on site.  Want proof you say, well just look inside any beehive and I guarantee you will not find a rat in the hive.  There is your proof.  Hopefully the fool will stock up on beehives and generate some business for those kind Florida beeks that have posted pics and texted about pollen, nectar, brood and oh ya lush green grsss.  I luv reading about active bees in Fl, Az, As well as other warm places as my bees are mostly clustered.
Blessings
That's funny Van!  Partly, because there are people that would fall for that.

Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

anything