BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Honey B Healthy Concentrate

<< < (4/5) > >>

Dave360:
I use the common recipe for HBH and it seams to work haven't used a blender yet as I need to get one from good will or garage sale since I figure as someone posted getting out the spearmint smell may be nest to impossible I mainly use it as I did the real HBH to help control the black fungus that grows in the sugar water with out it .  I use 4-5 tbs to each 4 to 4.5 gallon bucket of 2-1 I make then dilute  the 2-1 to 1-1 if needed . It seams to help keep black fungus down and the bees don't seam to mind and I have heard it helps with Nosema
and remember that Honey is itself anti fungal  anti bacterial

David

Bee-Mover:
Thanks for posting!

I hadn't taken the time to learn about HBH, only seeing it sold.  I had assumed that it contained some sort of nutritional value, but it I'm understanding what I've read, it only stimulates feeding?

If so, then it should only be used in the spring to encourage the hive to get going?

critter:
we live in fl. .so we get time in the winter to go in the hive's when the temp. is up ,to change the beetle traps.last year we put sugar cake on top of the frames. like everyone . so we can't  see how much honey is in it.don't like that. so this year when we made we put the candy in medium frames,are frames are wire,2 across and 3 up and down[no we don't use foundation in are hives] and we put the frames in. we use a old plastic sing cut for the back and 4 rubber bands to hole it to top and bottom . it takes 4 lb. of sugar for each frame .it is working very will .can't wait tell it gets warm ,so we can see how it is doing .we will lat you know how it is doing . my little girl came up with ,she 8 .she got into beekeeping a little over 2 years ago.with a cut out we took out of a house i cut the grass at.she has 18 hives now.and is making more for spring,we make are hive.    you will like her new beetle traps .there one for top bar and one for langstroth .so when you make your H B H  ,for your sugar cake you may what to frame them.                                                                   

johng:
Thanks for the recipe. I open feed quite a bit in the fall and I normally add a couple drops of lemon grass oil to help the bees find the syrup faster. If I don't sometimes they won't find the syrup until the next day. I will make up a batch of your recipe and see how it goes. Thanks

capt44:
The recipe I posted earlier is what I add to my syrup.
When feeding hive be extra careful not to spill it around the hive.
It will attract bees and can cause a robbing situation.
The Tea Tree Oil is suppose to be a natural way to control Nosema.
To give an example on how strong an attractant it is.
I made up a batch and decided to go feed my bees.
When I came back in the house there were about 4-500 bees inside the house.
What I found was a window frame I had drilled two 3/8 inch holes for water drainage.
The bees got that scent and here they came.
They was a cluster on the sill about the size of a football of bees trying to get in the house.
I put some cotton balls in the holes and spent another 45 minutes catch bees and releasing them outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version