Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello From Katy, TX  (Read 2440 times)

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
Hello From Katy, TX
« on: July 08, 2016, 06:25:12 am »
Another nube here!

I have done quite a bit of reading online so far and still reading.  Thanks to Michael and others for providing so much valuable information.  For starters, I have placed an order from Kelley's for the following:

8-Frame Medium Supers (5)
F Style Comb Guide Foundationless Top Bar and Solid Bottom Bar Medium Frames (50)
Solid Bottom Board
Wooden Inner Cover
Wood and Metal Outer Cover
Ventilated Jacket with Hat/Veil Combo
Goatskin Gloves
4" X 10" Smoker w/Shield
J Hook Hive Tool

So far, I have built 2 Nucs using D. Coates' version.  I plan on building boxes and ordering frames for when expansion happens.

I am hoping to trap a swarm to start with.  Will share how that goes :)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello From Katy, TX
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 08:08:55 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:36:51 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Lots of great people here!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 08:47:49 am »
Howdy and welcome.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 11:06:21 am »
Welcome.   :happy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:28:36 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Apisflorea.
Sounds like you are ready.
The expansion will start the day you get your bees. Better start now.
Sounds like you are planning on setting out swarm traps. good idea. Get some lemon Grass Oil and using a Q-tip, wipe around the entrance and place the q-tip in a sealed baggie and place it in the bottom of the trap.  Be sure to have all frames in the trap with a thin strip of foundation or a waxed strip of wood in the top slot.
Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 02:39:22 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Apisflorea.
Sounds like you are ready.
The expansion will start the day you get your bees. Better start now.
Sounds like you are planning on setting out swarm traps. good idea. Get some lemon Grass Oil and using a Q-tip, wipe around the entrance and place the q-tip in a sealed baggie and place it in the bottom of the trap.  Be sure to have all frames in the trap with a thin strip of foundation or a waxed strip of wood in the top slot.
Good luck.
Jim

Thanks for the welcome and the information.   That is the trap setup I'm planning to have.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 10:24:27 am »
I registered yesterday.  I have been reading Beemaster for several months and have gained lots of info or maybe misinfo.  Thanks  I had 23 hives in 1949 - 57 then I became a proud member of the armed forces, my bees went away also.  Now 57 years later we, ie: my family and I have 6 hives and some more in trees and houses.  Now for the profound statement, "Beekeeping has really changed".  I set out 6 swarm traps and caught 3 swarms.  One swarm was in an old quick put together NUC with 3 frames one with foundation the others with a hand sized piece of drawn comb rubber banded in, the box was full completely with bees and their production from top to bottom and this in only 3 weeks.  thanks for all the help.  Paus, Gilmer tx

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 10:35:14 am »
Welcome to the forum and back to beekeeping paus.  Also, thanks for your service.  :happy:

anything