Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead brood in front of hive after inspection  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Backyard bees

• Brood
Dead brood in front of hive after inspection
« on: September 29, 2020, 10:59:48 pm »
Hi all,
Twice now after doing a hive inspection I have noticed the next day piles of dead bees out the front of the hive. The bees appear to be young brood that have been thrown out. The first time it happened was a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was because the weather was too cold and I had the hive open too long ( probably ten to fifteen minutes). The same thing happened on Monday, I inspected again to see if they were ready for a super and that afternoon and the next day, there was a pile of dead brood out the front. I suspect it was probably too cold again, about 22 degrees. I was concerned about chalk brood, but during my second inspection on Monday, there was no sign of it whatsoever and there was plenty of bees and brood.
I only have one hive and although I have had bees before, this is the first hive I have had for a long time. The bees are still very active and it appears to be a strong colony. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Biggles

• New Bee
Re: Dead brood in front of hive after inspection
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 11:58:01 pm »
Hi BYB

Would you have a close up of the brood?

Cheers

Mark

Offline Backyard bees

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 01:10:53 am »
Hi Mark,
I have been trying for the last half hour, but I can?t add another photo. I?m not even sure how I managed to add the first one.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 07:55:36 pm »
Often, due to PMS, piles of dead brood, mid maturity pupae can be pulled and tossed.  Timing tends to coincide with the 2 to 3 week brood cycle.  If you have not checked the varroa mite level in the hive, it is strongly suggested you do so. 
From the description and the vague picture, from here it looks like the hive is crashing.  Soon there will be few bees in the hive at all. 
Imho

Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Brub58

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 01:09:10 am »
I?m pretty sure his mite level will be 0.000000, nil, nada,none.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 01:28:55 am »
I?m pretty sure his mite level will be 0.000000, nil, nada,none.

That is an interesting proclamation Burb. What is you reasoning. Educate me please.

Edit, nevermind now I see this is the downunder heading. I did not look at the heading when I responded I was at the  bottom of the site and noticed the latest post. Being you are in the land of oz your country has no mites.  Good for you!   :oops:   :grin:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:43:32 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 02:51:59 am »
J hope he hasnt got varoa mite i have seen what the kiwis have to do as they have it there .

Offline Brub58

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 03:38:13 am »
Sorry for being a smart Alec Ben, but I?m glad you worked it out.  It?s hard to tell from the fuzzy photo, but given the time of year I?m thinking it looks like chalk brood mummies.

Bruce.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 09:14:25 am »
Sorry for being a smart Alec Ben, but I?m glad you worked it out.  It?s hard to tell from the fuzzy photo, but given the time of year I?m thinking it looks like chalk brood mummies.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce, really I did not take it as you were being a smart Alec, I took it at face value and was thinking this fellow is mighty confident in his answer, maybe he knows something I do not, I need to know what it is, therefore my reply. Now you did indeed educate me. Thanks for your reply on your Analysis of the problem.  You may very well be right.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:35:09 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 11:31:53 am »
J hope he hasnt got varoa mite i have seen what the kiwis have to do as they have it there .

Crispy I do not think you have to worry about varroa as the last I heard Varroa Destructor has not penetrated you shores? I hope this is a problem you never have to deal with. I wish we did not have Varroa here in North America.

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 04:55:50 pm »
Sacbrood?

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 01:42:26 am »
Be grateful, blessed, if no varroa there ... YET

Clarify for us please.  Are you seeing this tossed brood every couple of weeks, regularly ... or, are you seeing tossed brood after each inspection. 

If noticed only after inspections, then the next question is what are you doing with brood frames during the inspections?  For example, taking out of the hive and putting down out of the hive, in the sun or in the shade, etc. Could the problem be your method?
22 degrees mentioned, I am assuming celsius.  That is definitely not too cold to affect brood.  At times I inspect a 5 degrees. If the brood is put in the sun, it is entirely possible it is being cooked not chilled.

If noticed each couple weeks, inspections or not, then you have a brood disease or pest that needs to be diagnosed.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 12:45:50 am »
Ive noticed that every day i have a selection of dead or dying bees at the front of the hive not actually on the hive itself but in front of it , ive even seen bees fighting on the ground which reminds me of monty pythons movie scene where he says "im not dead yet" .

I am just putting it down to natural attrition in the hive the ants clean it up fairly quickly so most are gone within a day and i can hear the sounds of the ants in the mess hall saying "oh not bee again cooky" .

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 02:52:39 pm »
I can't see it very well (too small) but I think it looks like chalkbrood.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#chalkbrood
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything