Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuplas Bee Hives  (Read 4549 times)

Offline BrianP_69

• New Bee
Nuplas Bee Hives
« on: October 16, 2018, 05:30:15 am »
I did a search but came up a bit empty.
Is there anyone on here using Nuplas bee hives.
Cheers

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
Re: Nuplas Bee Hives
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:36:20 am »
I only use plastic hives.
I have used 1 of the nuplas to try.

The following is just my opinion and I am a hobby beekeeper but here my quick rundown of my comparison between nuplas and hassons:

Nuplas:
cheaper
base has double entrance with built in entrance closers.
can get vented bottom board.
boxes need to be built (Screwed together). 
boxes can slip apart easily.
lighter but a bit flimsy. 
clips can be fiddly.

Hasson:
more expensive than nuplas.
come already made in 1 molded piece.
heavier but solid.
won't slip.
when clipped the whole hive is solid and reliably beeproof when entrance blocked (Great if you need to move hives inside a car!).

(I prefer the Hasson hives and have standardized on them).

Cheers

Damien

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:54:15 am »
Interesting. I have never used any of the plastic supers, lids or bottoms. They have an interesting website with a new frames idea.
My commercial bee keeping friends have tried the Nuplas hives and were not happy with them. They tell me that they distorted, were easily damaged with a hive tool - not up to the rigours of commercial bee keeping.
I'm all wood and I'm happy with it.
Plastic - Life 15+years and then? landfill...
I'm surprised that we had no comments from somebody who has used the system for a while.

Offline BrianP_69

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:07:08 am »
Thanks guys for the replies.
I'm not 100% sold on them either compared to timber. There's some things I love about them but there's some things I don't like.

Pros
No painting
30yr guarantee
Super easy to assemble with supplied screws
I love the lid
Love the vented bottom board
Bees are going gangbusters

Cons
Double the price of timber
Boxes can warp slightly resulting in boxes not being flush when placed on top of each other. Not a drama, the bees don't care but slightly annoying to me. ( OCD )

I refuse to use plastic frames, I'm using wood & wax foundation.
There's a lot more maintenance, preparation with timber but the boxes sit flush, super solid & inexpensive.
I'm using migratory lids & trying to find a reputable source for those as well as vented bottom timber boards if anyone has some tips.
Cheers

Offline Russ

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:07:09 am »
In my second year with thirty hives now. 18 wood and 12 nuplas and 6 Hasson.
The wooden hives are mainly second hand original 8 frame boxes about 30-50 years old. I dipped them in boiling lye and then hypochlorite for 20 minutes and repainted. Perfect boxes but lids and bases shabby.
Hasson's have quality boxes but I suspect the plastic lid and bases don't suit the sub tropics, they sweat a lot and mine constantly have a mould problem often with water dripping from the entrance. Hive beetles love them.
Nuplas is a longer story. I bought 30 hives but only assembled and use 12, the rest I left in the cartoons.   I don't know if it was just my order, but every vented base was distorted in a way that it appeared sagged length ways when I got them. The boxes are all bowed out at the top and all corners are deformed and raised a few mm. The joints are poor with big gaps in every box corner. the screws were too small. and weirdly fitting corner joints. When assembled as delivered, the bee can walk out through the gap between the box and the base, including the Queens which have drowned in the oil tray under the vented base. These hive sweat like Hassons, but hasson don't leak like my Nuplas hives. After Nuplas recommended to sand all the matching surfaces the gaps are closed a lot but so much sanding has left the plastic thin. A lot of work. Hassons have the best box, but with there freight cost, they are too expensive for me. After a year in the sun the top edge of all Nuplas boxes have bowed out and water can run in between the lid and top box and between all boxes and also box and base. I am in northern NSW and found the ventilation holes in the lids were not adequate. After a recommendation from a Beemaster member whom has a Nuplas hive, I modified the lids. I purchased quality insulation board from Bunnings and sealed it in the lid with tin sheet. I then added a wooded 50mmX50mm skirt edging with 8 x 25 mm air holes. I used alfoil to block 6 during winter. These modified lids are the best. There no longer any condensation or water leaking in from the top and when I tested the winter temperatures, I found them much better with this modification. I now only buy Nuplas lids to modify and use on all hives. I am now making wooded boxes and my own bases ready to split to 50 hives by January.

Offline BrianP_69

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:28:22 am »
Thanks for the detailed reply Russ.
I'm also in Northern NSW so may be looking at some of those issues you encountered. My boxes have some corners slightly raised & water getting in is a concern with mine but I haven't encountered it yet. My lid sits on the top box ok but due to the slight bowing of the box, it sits flush on one side but not out to the edge on the other side. This is the point where some water may find it's way in. The timber boxes I have are flush all sides with almost zero gaps at all so a big plus for timber there. I only purchased a 3 box plastic hive so I'll see how it goes. I'm doing another inspection this weekend & if I find water or condensation in there, I'm transferring the frames out to a wooden box. Hopefully all will be ok & I can add a super.
Cheers

Offline Russ

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 07:03:38 am »
Hello Brian.
I have been harvesting this week and found my best performing hives by far have been:
Joe Horner Queens and superseeds.
My Modified NUPLAS lids
Double Hasson's Boxes for the brood
Metal Queen excluder from NUPLAS
Plastic Red E Frames made by TOBIN and Sons. for brood only
Triple wooden WSP supers with wooden Frames and Tobin wax foundation
Wooden base with tin overlayed floor and winter closure.
No fipronil or oil traps.
Have no issues in these hives. No beetles. Perfect. For this year anyway.
Good luck.

Offline BrianP_69

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 07:27:17 am »
I picked up a couple of these Hive Doctor smart bases before buying the Nuplas hive.
Ventilated, trays can slide in underneath for SHB if you wish. I wish they came in white but there is quite a large entrance gap if you don't use the coloured entrance disks which I don't have. Not sure if anyone on here uses them or not.

https://shop.adelaidebeekeeping.com.au/hive-doctor-smart-base

Where did you get the wooden bases?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:27:22 am by BrianP_69 »

Offline Russ

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:27:48 am »
I make my own wooden bases with different size entrance blocks for summer or winter and open the appropriate number of top vets for the seasonal conditions, hive strength etc.

Offline BrianP_69

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 12:18:26 am »
Thanks Russ.
I haven't got the gear or the know how to build myself unfortunately.
I'm going to try out the Hive Doctor smart base next time round & see how it goes.
It's a well made base, ventilated, trap trays but quite a large hive opening & I'm not fussed on it being black.

Offline BrianP_69

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 03:55:41 am »
Just an update.
The Nuplas hive sweats quite a bit, I had some water droplets on top of some frames as well.
I've transferred all the frames back out to timber, I feel better with that decision. The Hive Doctor bases are pretty crap in my opinion. There is quite a long entrance way before the bees hit a wall that they have to climb to enter under the frames. A lot of bees are at the entrance upside down where some of the frames are, not all frames are actually inside the hive. When the bees leave the frames, they often fall on their backs & stumble around before taking off, I just don't like it. I love the Nuplas bases though, mine are shallow vented & perfectly straight. Solid as a rock & guaranteed for 30 years. I like the double entrance & the bees seem to like it. So for me, Nuplas base, Wooden boxes with a wooden migratory lid. My super is on after last weeks inspection. The bees were working all 10 frames.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 08:53:14 pm »
I have always used the wooden boxes and frames, my uncle did use plastic and told me to try them so I bought a nuplas as a try, it looks cheap and I wasn't happy with the quality, I actually still have it assembled in the shed and never used. I will stick to my Australian made boxes and frames. They will last longer than the plastic and better for the environment. Nuplas frames look very cheap and nasty, worse then the boxes.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk