Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Queensland  (Read 62836 times)

Offline max2

• Field Bee
Re: What's flowering: Queensland
« Reply #560 on: April 07, 2021, 04:53:01 am »
We had a couple of days with good rain - no floods here but solid rain - about 5 inches all up.
Today the sun was out for a while and the bees made good use of it.

Summer is coming back for a short visit with quite hot days.

The bees will love it.

Offline max2

• Field Bee
« Reply #561 on: April 15, 2021, 08:28:40 pm »
We had some wonderful Autumn weather here.
After some much needed rain we are enjoying days with a max of above 25C and the bees are loving it.
I checked some hives and the honey is still coming in. I won't be taking any off, leaving it all for the bees during winter and hoping for a strong start  to Spring.
There is a heavy, magnificent smell of honey hanging around all day and night.
It is very likley from the nectar from Euc resinifera ( Red Stringybark) which seems to be flowering just on time. It should keep going for a few more weeks.
The Stringy Bark has a reputation to fill the air with a smell  we all seem to enjoy.
The very positive part to E resinifera is that the tree produces not only quite a bit of surplus nectar but plenty of pollen too.
Sadly it does not flower every year.

Offline max2

• Field Bee
« Reply #562 on: May 01, 2021, 10:17:38 pm »
I checked on some hives...there is a lot of pollen coming in and some hives are full with honey.
'I could take more honey off but have time limits and will leave it for the bees. It will still be there if they don't need it.
The Flodded Gums are flowering. In some years they deliver a nice addition to the stores.
The road verges are covered in legumes - Silver Leaf Desmodium is in full bloom.

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #563 on: May 02, 2021, 08:36:37 pm »
Found this branch on the ground. Now I know what the bees are on. They are bringing in a lot of nectar and pollen.

Offline max2

• Field Bee
« Reply #564 on: May 06, 2021, 02:52:01 am »
Allways nice to see flowering gums!!
I hope the girls are bringing it home.

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #565 on: May 07, 2021, 08:36:23 am »
Sorry, the pic didn?t turn out as it looked. It?s flooded gum.
And the bees are bringing it home as if they are stocking up for the next 3 years.
Made some 4 frame splits 3 weeks ago in 8 frame boxes, and they already filled the empty 4 frames and built massive comb in the roof. In May? That?s not expected up here usually. But I only kept bees here the last 6 years.

I know of a strong melaleuca flow this time around down near the beach, where I keep a few hives.
But up here in the mountains, the flooded gum only gave little in recent years. It sure is big this year (Byron HinterlandJ.
There are some other big trees flowering, can just recognise the flowers with good binoculars, but they are not flooded gums. The top branches are dark like the trunks.
Maybe some red gum type?

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #566 on: May 09, 2021, 06:19:11 pm »
We had a fantastic year on the flooded gum but that was back in Early spring! Beautiful light honey.

We had almost 700mm of rain in August up here. The sun has been out now for a week but I cant see anything in flower yet. Fingers crossed something comes on before winter.

Enjoy the late flow gentlemen!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 11:27:03 pm by Bee North »