Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drifting after moving a hive.  (Read 988 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Drifting after moving a hive.
« on: May 28, 2018, 02:22:13 pm »
I moved a colony back home the other day.  About 10 miles or so. I tried to button them up before too many got out but it was such a nice day some were out before I could seal them up.  After moving them I noticed some were trying to come back home but.....no hive.  I have another hive about 15-20 feet away.  Will these stragglers eventually drift to the other colony or are they doomed?
You are what you think.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Drifting after moving a hive.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 04:38:12 pm »
Aroc,
A lot of times the bees will just huddle close to the old location and stay as a group. If that happens, put a small box with a frame or 2 of comb and they will go to it. Then close it up at night and move and install them in their hive.
With a hive that close, a lot of them will find the other hive and try to move in. If they have nectar or pollen they will be welcomed in. If they are emptying handed they will be blocked like a robber bee would bee blocked. If there are enough of them they will just over run the entrance and move in.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 05:27:11 pm »
With an explanation like that, well,  that is why I call sawdust MASTER Jim.  Very well stated, Master Jim.
Blessings

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:34:27 pm »
Thanks Van. I have been wondering what you meant by that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:04:21 am »
Some might die just like all living creatures.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything