Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which Honey is The Best Tasting (In Your Opinion)  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Which Honey is The Best Tasting (In Your Opinion)
« on: October 17, 2022, 04:58:11 pm »
In your opinion which honey taste the best? I will give a few examples. Clover, Sunflower, Blueberry, Almond, Peach, Cotton, Orange, SourWood, Blackberry, Tupelo, Canola, Buck Wheat, Mesquite, (Cactus or Desert), Raspberry, or any other honey source which you prefer.

Thanks,

Phillip

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 05:27:27 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Which Honey is The Best Tasting (In Your Opinion)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 06:00:14 pm »
My top three are:
1. Sourwood
2. Sourwood
3. Sourwood

:wink: :cheesy: 

Seriously though, sourwood honey is my absolute favorite.  It's so unique tasting, light and kind of tangy.  It was the honey that made me truly love honey.  I've tried mesquite honey, and I can see why people are nuts for that one too; it's also very unique, almost smoky.  My local monofloral flows are blackberry, clover, basswood, something really dark I get every June, and something that tastes like grapes right before that.  I've never had enough of a goldenrod flow to take any honey and try it, although I hear that honey smells like feet, so maybe I'm not missing anything.  :cheesy:  My mom loves every honey equally.  Every single time I get a new jar off the shelf she asks me what variety it is, and when I tell her she says, "That's my favorite kind!".  :grin: :cheesy:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 07:23:55 pm »
I love buckwheat.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 02:50:48 am »
I would have thought that most beekeepers would have said that the best honey is the golden goodness that their own bees produce. If not, we?ll that?s a shame.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 07:22:15 am »
     I know where I used to live in the USA. Many people were into the whole realistic medication thing.. They believe honey buckwheat had that quality..  I did sell buckwheat honey for $2 more a pound.. I actually did not like the taste of  buckwheat honey.  I know it's so well quick at least for me..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   😊
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 07:29:11 am »
Probably Sourwood.  Certainly I can't think of any I like better.  But there are some that are about as good.  Black Locust is nice.  Thyme is nice.  Eucalyptus is nice.  I've had some buckwheat that I thought was wonderful and other buckwheat that had a bitter aftertaste.  I have to assume that either the bitter one was pure buckwheat and lacked something that was mixed with the smooth buckwheat, or the bitter buckwheat had something else mixed in that made it bitter and the smooth didn't have that.  I'm not sure which... but some of the best honey I've had was buckwheat and some of the worst...  I like goldenrod pretty well, but not as much as sourwood.  Tupelo is pretty wonderful.  Orange blossom is not my favorite but I would put it in the top 10.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 12:33:43 pm »
When I lived in Jacksonville, my bees made a mixed floral honey that I loved the best. I had customers buying it by the gallon, they loved it so much. Here at the farm I make Gallberry, Palmetto and Tupelo that a lot of customers swear by.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 01:32:39 pm »
I like all honey I have tried. Their are many honeys I have not had the privilege. So far, clover is my personal top choice.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 01:52:06 pm »
My favorite honey is the honey I eat when cutting the caps off before extracting it.   :cheesy:

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 07:24:55 pm »
We are so lucky when it comes to honey. There are so many flavours and varieties available around the world. Every season can produce something different. Some regions produce consistent honeys from year to year but other areas have considerable variation in what nectar sources are available to bees. People have so much choice when it comes to honey and of course it comes down to personal preference as to what you like. Tradition and indoctrination can influence our taste for honey to a certain extent. Constant exposure to styles of food can impact on our taste buds over time. We can see this in the foods that different cultures consume. Honey is no different. I would love to try some of the honeys that you guys produce in America, Canada, England, Europe etc. and compare them to what our bees produce in Australia. I am sure that I would enjoy them all. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 07:55:35 pm »
I would love to try some of the honeys that you guys produce in America, Canada, England, Europe etc. and compare them to what our bees produce in Australia. I am sure that I would enjoy them all.

Les! What a grand idea for Jims Beefeast Annual Event! I know Geoff came to at least one of the Pre-Beefeast events, (The Bud Series), meeting all the way from Australia. Wouldn't it be grand if each member' who could attend' would bring with them a jar of their favorite for sampling at Jims Beefeast. For instance Nigel and Cider from England, TheHoneyPump and other members from Canada, along with other members from these countries as well as countries from all over the globe,  along with members from right here in the States, as we have a wide variety of climates and plant availability for honey production as well.  This might be too much to ask, but wouldn't it be grand! Wishful thinking?

Phillip

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 08:46:21 pm by Ben Framed »

anything