Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45744 times)

Online max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2022, 01:10:59 am »
I have not seen any updates on the spread or otherwise of varroa. I take it that no news is good news.

This has just come in:

Growers to source local bees for pollination services 
Queensland growers who engage beekeepers for pollination services should make arrangements for a local supply now ahead of the growing season.

The threat of varroa mite makes it even more critical to source local bees.

Under current restrictions, bees and hives from New South Wales cannot be brought into Queensland.

Anybody who usually sources bees from interstate for pollination is encouraged to engage with local Queensland based beekeepers for these services.

It?s a critical time for the beekeeping industry and we urge growers to consider how they could support beekeepers to maintain bee biosecurity responsibilities.

If you require hives from multiple beekeepers, ensure you are consulting with the beekeepers on hive placement and encourage beekeepers to undertake mite surveillance checks and report their findings to the Bee 123 online form, prior to the arrival of hives on farm.

Growers that generally source bees from interstate should contact their grower industry body in the first instance if they need to source bees for pollination. 

The Queensland Beekeepers? Association supports growers and can connect them with local beekeepers.

More information
Read more about varroa mite.

Visit the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries engagement hub?help protect our bees by reading the latest FAQs or ask us a question.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2022, 04:09:17 am »
The latest up date :

Incursion update 31/07/22
Reporting of this incursion has been focused on mite detections and the red dots on maps.
The work that has been conducted by the 30 odd field teams of beekeeper volunteers,
DPI, RFS and LLS staff across the red, purple, yellow and blue zones is often not
highlighted.
To date there has been over 18,000 hives surveyed for mites across all the zones with a
combination of alcohol washes and strips/mats. Despite 18,000 hives being tested only 56
infested premises have been detected with only 3 of these infested premises being outside
the Newcastle red zones.
Over the past couple of weeks, the focus has been on surveillance in the perimeter of the
Newcastle zone to ensure the incursion has been delimited and a solid edge could be
found. This surveillance has only identified a few new IP?s in the Newcastle area. This
provides the Incident Management Team (IMT) with a renewed confidence that the
incursion is contained.
Tracing efforts have been successful in following hives that have moved out of the zones
over the last few months. Thousands of hives, identified through tracing across the blue
zone have been tested and resulted in 3 detections outside of the Newcastle zone
Trangie, Narrabri and Coffs Harbor. All of these detections have all been low mite
numbers and traced to direct, recent movements out of the Newcastle zone. Surveillance
around these detections have not detected any transfer of mites to other managed hives
or feral colonies. Further, intense surveillance, including mats and strips in these remote
zones will give the IMT greater confidence with the goal of declaring these areas free from
mites and remove the zones in time.
The associated intensive surveillance with the movement of hives to pollination will give
us, as an industry, a good indication that the incursion is contained or not. All beekeepers
that are moving hives have signed a legal declaration to say their hives have only been in
the lower risk, general emergency zone. If no mites are found then the IMT will be given a
high level of confidence it is contained, and eradication is achievable.
Eradication is the focus of the IMT until the National Management Group decide it is not
technically feasible to eradicate

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2022, 08:32:47 am »
Max, I appreciate the attention to detail you placed in your update. Very encouraging report.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2022, 06:56:27 pm »
Thanks Philip...BUT....I'm simply repeating press realease  as a " cut and paste". All cudos to the public servants

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2022, 08:15:16 am »
I found this Max just now. 

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2022, 08:23:46 am »
Updated infestation map...

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2022, 01:24:16 am »
NSW     Department of
                 Primary Industries

Thursday 4 August                                                                                                                                                          .
Varroa Mite response Daily Update.

Tracing and surveillance have confirmed 9 new Infected Premises bringing the total to 73. Seven of the new IP's have been detected in the Port Stephens LGA at Raymond Terrace, Ferodale and Heatherbrae and the remaining two have been identified in Tarro and Mayfield east in the Newcastle LGA. All of these cases 'either have' clear links to existing cases or are geographically related through the movement of hives or equipment.

We have refocused our efforts on tracing and euthanising hives within the eradication zone, which has led to the increased number of Infected Premises.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2022, 01:59:00 am »
NSW     Department of
                 Primary Industries

Sunday 7, August

Latest updates
For previous updates, visit the archive page.
Sunday 7 August
Varroa mite response - Daily Update

Two new cases of Varroa mite have been detected at Seaham and Anna Bay. This brings the total number of Infected Premises to 79. These cases are located 'within existing eradication zones' and are geographically related.

Beekeepers in the surveillance zones should continue monitoring their hives for the presence of Varroa mite. You can keep up to date with the latest information on the NSW DPI Biosecurity Facebook page www.facebook.com/NSWDPI.Biosec

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2022, 04:08:09 am »
83 sites :sad:
Varroa mite response - Daily Update 8/8/22
Ongoing Varroa mite tracing and surveillance has identified 4 additional infected premises (IPs), bringing the total number in NSW to 83. These IPs have been detected inside the eradication zone in the localities of Hinton, Brandy Hill, Macquarie Hills and Black Hill.
Beekeepers in the surveillance zones should continue monitoring their hives for the presence of Varroa mite.
The Emergency Zone map can be found here: https://fal.cn/3qQJz
You can keep up to date with the latest information on the NSW DPI Biosecurity Facebook page https://fal.cn/3qQJy

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2022, 05:05:10 am »
Just in...
Dear max,

Earlier this week a new movement control order came into effect. As the situation stands, bees, used equipment or bee products (including unprocessed honey) cannot be moved into Queensland from any state or territory without a permit.

We must reiterate that processed honey and processed beeswax can be moved if:

honey has been extracted, filtered, strained or settled to remove wax cappings and dead bees
it has been packed in a facility without bees
the outside of the container, and any frames, pallets and packaging are free from honey or beeswax
it is a quarantine secured diagnostic honey sample for testing at a recognised diagnostic facility.
DAF have confirmed that all registered beekeepers have been emailed information relating to the new movement control order as at the close of business today. If for some reason you are not receiving RBE (Registered Biosecurity Entity) emails, please contact DAF on 13 25 23 to confirm your contact information as a matter of priority.

To read the new movement control order, please click on the attachment below.

movement-and-control-order-notice.pdf.pdf
We anticipate we will have a better understanding of the Queensland Government's risk assessment process and the plans and provisions for the permit system in the coming days. As soon as the permit provisions have been finalised we will communicate the updates on permits as a matter of high priority to our members.

The QBA continues to engage consultatively with the Department of Agriculture and Biosecurity Queensland to advocate in the best interests of our members and greater industry, protecting the future of beekeeping in Queensland.

Kind regards,

Jo Martin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Varroa in Australia
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2022, 06:50:19 am »
So far the authorities have the varroa restricted to a few locations, which all have links.
Last report was 83 infected locations.
Bees from outside the restricted zone have gone to almonds in their own states, which leaves the Victorian almonds short of bees, only about half the bees per drop.
Our are in 55 hives per drop but alot of others are as low as 48.
We had to Sugar shake 10% of our hives before going and Dept of Ag are also testing 10% of hives at almonds.
The outbreak seems contained at the moment.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa in Australia
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2022, 07:40:55 am »
Thanks Oldbeavo..

Phillip

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2022, 10:42:18 pm »
97 sites
Temperatures are expected to start warming up by the end of next week ( at least here)

I have not seen any drones as yet. I would expect swarms are only a few weeks off. This the time when will be in trouble if more and more hives are found with Varroa.

The quaetion I have - if the new sites are within the eradictaion zone - why have they not been eradicated?

Varroa mite response - Daily Update
Ongoing Varroa mite tracing and surveillance has identified 4 additional infected premises (IPs) today, with the total number of IPs in NSW now at 97.
The new infected premises are at Salt Ash, Mayfield East and Beresfield, all within the eradication zone.
All cases to date either have clear links through the movement of hives or equipment, or are geographically related.
The Emergency Zone map can be found here: https://fal.cn/3qYSE
Beekeepers in the surveillance zones should continue to monitor their hives for the presence of Varroa mite.
You can keep up to date with the latest information at https://fal.cn/3qYSF

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2022, 12:16:08 am »
max2
> The quaetion I have - if the new sites are within the eradictaion zone - why have they not been eradicated?

Its a tough battle Max. May I refer first paragraph in reply 22 and reply 30 to help those who may not understand what a real chore this battle is in the effort to element this awful mite. I an not attempting to dissuade the honest effort set forth by your officials and countrymen. As Michale Bush 'paraphrasing' also stated somewhere on this topic: If even one mite is overlooked or not eliminated the battle is lost.

Its all or nothing in my opinion. When I watched a video showing that some hives were eliminated in an apiary which tested positive,  while other hives in the same apiary were sparred, I felt sick for the following reasons in reply 22 and 30

Phillip

Re: Varroa dedected in Australia
>>Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 09:55:51 pm <<
quote NigelP
Whilst it's very sad you guys have now got varroa. It's not a death sentence, most of the rest of the worlds beekeepers live with the little blighters. There are plenty of effective treatments for keeping their numbers low so that they have little noticeable impact on the bees.
But killing all the bees and  burning all those hives, I really feel for any keeper having his livelihood destroyed.

But eradicating feral bees....is that even possible?

How did it arrive? A swarm of bees setting up home on a container ship? Illegal imports of bees?

>>Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 09:55:51 pm <<
"I agree NigleP. Though not a death sentence, this news is a hit below the belt.
Lets consider: Even if every single domestic hive which has varroa is eradicated, feral bees which may be affected and harboring Varroa Destructor are still a breeding ground and a solid bridge for varroa. If just 'one' feral hive having varroa is missed, then the spread starts all over again. Millions of dollars wasted not counting the heartbreak and heartache. "

"I will in no way try and dissuade efforts to control this pest by any method or means our friends see fit to try and deem necessary. At the end of the day they must be able to say "we did our best and we controlled the problem", or "we did our best even if the problem is not solved"."

"Whether a successful eradication of varroa or not; It may well be time for our friends Down Under to educate themselves about Varroa Destructor if they haven't already...
There is LOADS of GREAT information here at Beemaster for your convenience concerning 'every conceivable aspect' of Varroa; From research papers posted from all over the world concerning every aspect of varroa, including treatment methods along with the breakdown of treating tools. The Search engine at the top of the page, might be a best friend to our friends from DownUnder at this time, win, lose, or draw... "

"I think it is safe to say, if we at Beemaster can be of aid, please call on us. Not only will the staff try and help but our many members from all over will try and help as well. I say this with complete confidence."

Sincerely,

Phillip

Also:

?<<Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 11:41:46 am >>
"It has been determined that Varroa can not live more than 5 days without a host which is a promising good thing."

Honest Questions:

"If all domesticated managed hives are completely destroyed in the kill zones, what will become of the bees which may have missed the eradication process while out forging, which may host live varroa? Will they beg into unknown feral hives? The same question for eradicated hives on the outer limits of the kill zone. What will become of the forging bees which no longer have a home. Can they simply find their way to a hive 'outside' of the eradication zone, or an unknown feral hive 'outside or inside' the kill zone? Will they beg into a nearby hive, bringing with them the varroa they may have in their possession, (on their person)? "

"If a feral hive is eradicated (killed on the spot) with a 'certain chemical' which was suggested in the article I posted earlier, will the chemical kill the capped brood in these feral hives as well where varroa may be living and developing? Will this varroa survive? Will the varroa emerge from the capped brood and live for 5 days, allowing time for a robber bee from another unknown feral hive to come along allowing themselves to becoming a brand new Varroa host? "

"Most likely the officials there In Australia have already asked themselves these very same questions and probably many more? If so, what are their answers?"

"Varroa Mites | Texas Apiary Inspection Service (TAIS)
They are spread within a colony when bees come into contact with one another. Mites are also spread between colonies and apiaries via robbing, drifting, swarming, and absconding. Varroa mites are unable to live for more than a few days without a host and therefore, you will not find Varroa mites in a dead out hive."

Phillip
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 12:30:26 am by Ben Framed »

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2022, 07:46:59 am »
National Varroa Update:
At the time of writing Sunday 14th August there are 97 confirmed Infested Premises. Although there has
been a significant increase in the number of infested premises reported in the last two weeks, all cases
remained link or are geographically expected. The eradication zone has not grown at the same rate as the
new IP?s and has only grown slightly on the western edges of the Newcastle Zone. The Eradication covers
over 5000km2. Surveillance continues to be a priority at the Narrabri and Coffs Harbour Zones and to date
there has been no other mites found other than the original IP?s, this is encouraging. Surveillance has now
been conducted on 24,971 hives.
As for the destruction of hives there have been some challenges, subsequently there have been some
changes to the prescribed plan. These changes have related to retaining boxes and dealing with poly hives.
There is now a process where hives are being euthanised and sealed for a period, the bees and frames are
then disposed of, and the boxes are retained. To date 5,279 hives have been euthanised.
The Consultative Committee on Emergency Plant Pests or CCEPP meeting was held Tuesday 2 August 2022.
There was agreement at the meeting that varroa mite in New South Wales (NSW) is still technically feasible
to eradicate. However, there were concerns expressed over how NSW is going to manage feral beehives.
Currently, the priority of the NSW DPI is the eradication of hives in the red zones. NSW DPI have been asked
to come back with a strategy for the management of feral bee populations.
In addition, forward command posts or FCP?s are now located at Narrabri, Coffs Harbour, Balranald, and
Griffith. The Narrabri and Coffs Harbour forward command centres are focused on surveillance and ensuring
any mites that are in those zones are found. The FCP?s at Griffith and Balranald are focused on conducting
surveillance in almond pollination. This surveillance will be done with miticide stripes and sticky mats, which
has been identified to be the most sensitive method of surveillance at our disposal. The NSW DPI expects
around 47,000 hives to attend almond pollination in NSW and intensive surveillance would help confirm that
the outbreak is contained.
There has been some confusion and misinformation surrounding protocols to save high value genetics from
the eradication zones. Up until last week Tocal Collage, the home of the Plan B Breeding stock was not in an
eradication zone. A protocol has been in the works for several weeks and is soon to be finalised. This
protocol will see queen bees individually inspected under a microscope to clear them of varroa before being
relocated out of the zone. This will be offered to all commercial queen bee breeders in the zones to save as
much high value genetic stock from eradication as possible.
The process to reimburse beekeepers that have had hives destroyed in the zones is nearly finalised. The
Owner Reimbursement Costs or ORC?s are an already agreed upon mechanism to compensate commercial
beekeepers for their losses in a biosecurity response. The details of the ORC?s are available on the Plant
Health Australia website. As for the amateur beekeepers effected, there has already been an announcement
of the compensation that they will be offered

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2022, 08:16:03 am »
Max2,
Any idea of what they are paying Beekeepers for the hives that they are burning?
Jim Altmiller 
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2022, 09:19:28 am »
Thanks Max... The updated infestation map looks pretty much the same as the last one to me. Hopefully no mites made it to the almonds.

Phillip

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2022, 06:18:47 pm »
Yes, I hope too. Almonds are a huge issue right now.

I understand that bees can't get back into Queensland ( my state)

About payment - sorry, I have not seen any information as yet.

max

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2022, 02:37:51 am »
Hives to Qld ( my state) need permit

Keep varroa mite out of Queensland

A new Movement Control Order means there will be no movement of bees or beehives into Queensland from anywhere in Australia without a permit.   

We're working to make sure our honey bee industry and recreational beekeepers remain free from the threat of varroa mite. If you want to bring bees or beehives into Queensland, including returning bees which originated here, you will need to apply for a permit prior to entry.

Processed honey or processed beeswax, new or unused apiary appliances, and quarantine secured diagnostic honey samples for testing at a recognised diagnostic facility can continue to enter Queensland without restriction.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2022, 07:48:00 am »
Max2,
Any idea of what they are paying Beekeepers for the hives that they are burning?
Jim Altmiller