Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do about Varroa?  (Read 5891 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What to do about Varroa?
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2022, 11:24:14 pm »
This was an interesting topic Posted by: Van from Arkansas. I have a little something I would like to add to it today. I received the following message just today from a beekeeper from the Netherlands. We had both posted questions and suggestions on the latest Bob Binnie video comments concerning varroa mite treatment and the research being done via Mr Binnies' concern. I have studied several methods of Formic treatment and the one day Formic Flash Treatment has been the most appealing to me thus far when considering formic.

I am adding Rogier Dikkes of Netherlands reply to me, for your 'possible interest'. His method of formic flash is a 4 day cycle not a one day cycle.

From Rogier Dikkes of Netherlands.
"I use formic flash every summer after taking off the supers. It is very restricted in how to use it. Also we use different hives here in our area (simplex size). Also in our area (Netherlands) it is very common to use a varroa plank under the hive. Usually we leave this plank under the bottom to count mites, but I also use it to place the cleaning pads on them. All values I will now mention are in metric system.

From the supermarket I buy cleaning pads, their size is 20x20x.5cm. I drip 85% formic acid 10ml per box on them (we use double brood boxes by default because our simplex box sizes are smaller, so 2 boxes =20ml). Then I leave this pad there for 4 days. After 4 days you can repeat this treatment for 4 more rounds. I usually only do 2 because of the weather.

When temperature is too low or high (18-25c) you cannot treat. Too high: hives get killed, too low and no effect. Also humidity plays an important role. Last year I treated during a rainy period, I saw no notable mite drops and still saw DFW / mites on bees. Years before I saw drops of hundreds of mites.

If you use too much acid (once gave 30ml to a double box) the bees will panic and run out of the box. I'm pretty sure I lose 1 queen due to this. But in general queens stay laying and alive if you follow the guidelines.

I also have used Liebig dispensers, but I absolutely hate them. They released formic slowly, but after the treatment period I took them off and they were still dripping some residue in the box, on bees and on my clothes which were ruined since it burns holes right away. It is very scary stuff and if used improperly you can cause explosions, acid burns and breathing issues. It is however the most effective treatment when all parameters are right. But it leaves for such a short moment a year it is not the easiest way to treat.

Oh and before I forget: I always cool my formic acid in a freezer before opening it. This stuff at room temperature can knock you down if you do are not careful."
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.