Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Clorox buys Burt's Bees  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Clorox buys Burt's Bees
« on: November 13, 2007, 11:45:56 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071031/bs_nm/clorox_results_dc_1

Clorox bought Burt's Bees for $925 million dollars. Not bad for something that started off as a road side stand 20 years ago.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Clorox buys Burt's Bees
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:10:46 pm »
Sad part is, Burt's been out of the business for a while.  Someone else has been making all the millions off his name and image.

Would you believe that my Dad was the one who taught Burt beekeeping..... :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:17:04 pm »
Roxanne Quimby was the one who built up the company. Burt got out of the company many years before. He isn't hurting. But yes it is still his image they use.

I think it's cool that your dad was Burt's mentor.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:50:15 pm »
He isn't hurting. But yes it is still his image they use.

I'm sure he isn't and if he is still the same Burt,  it would matter to him anyway.   He was the quintessential 70's hippy, lived in a barn without a care in the world.  Was the first vegetarian I ever met.  As a boy, I had a hard time understanding why a guy that looked like he was starving wouldn't eat the "good stuff".  But boy could he eat the other stuff my mom cooked ;)
One day he packed everything he owned into his van and headed for Maine....

I'm trying to convince my Dad to stop by Dallas' campground on his way to Deland this winter and chew the fat with Dallas.  He has much better stories about Burt than me.   After all,  I was just a young un'  and Burt was a scary looking dude at the time :-P 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 01:06:38 pm »
Quote from: Robo
I'm sure he isn't and if he is still the same Burt,  it would matter to him anyway.   He was the quintessential 70's hippy, lived in a barn without a care in the world. 
I thought I had read once that Burt sold out to Roxanne several years ago. He wasn't happy running what had become a big business and just wanted to go back home and tend bees.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:43:30 pm »
According to the PSA on the Burt's Bees site, he lives in a tiny carbon footprint of a house on his land:

I can't get the post to load - something must be wrong with the site - maybe the change of ownership....it's neat to see him in this tiny house on his land...

Linda T in Atlanta

anything