Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Old computer what to do?  (Read 8778 times)

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
Old computer what to do?
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:17:05 pm »
DIY

for those of us who have older computers. and it is not dead yet what do you do.

for mine I found I was installing a new hard drive installing the op.

then found dead capacitors. on the mother board. you know the can type thingy s. I got good at recognizing them. on the end with the x on it when they become puffed or domed, not flat they are bad and must be replaced. one might try repairing them oneself. what caused it is the issue.

it is most likely a bad power supply then it is likely time to bite the big one. save the hd and cables

off board video cards as these usually are transferable.
so you have got a nee -er computer. I say er as I acquired a second hand .
am now wanting to re do the op most manufacturers will sell a new install disk for small fee. for their brand and model number. yes it checks

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
Re: Old computer what to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:26:40 am »
Capacitors do dry out and leak....but some have been extremely problematic (and affected a lot of motherboards)...look up 'capacitor plague'

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:07:34 am »
Besides caps that go bad, the ROHS Directive is literally killing electronics.  It is a great concept to "get the lead out" as well as other toxins.  However there are consequences; imagine that!  Solder that holds those parts and make electrical connections used to be made with lead.  To be ROHS compliant manufacturers must use solder without lead.  Unfortunately, this has been proven to cause problems and shorten the usable life of electronics.  See http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/2011-kostic-Pb-free.pdf page 41 and following.

For example, I have many computers I assembled in 2001 that are still running.  They are slower than anyone would like, but nearly 100% still operate reliably.  On the other hand, we replaced our ticketing system in 2007 and I've already lost 25% of those computers.  Many have bad caps, but I have a stack that just won't operate reliably or even boot up.

Offline George Janis

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:32:15 am »
If possible, change your old PC...

Offline ChristianComputerHelp.org

• New Bee
    • Introduction and Directions About ChristianComputerHelp.org Computer Helpers Computer Experts and Customers Wanted Click Here
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:10:14 am »
Best Buy accepts old computers,

You can take the harddrive out and attach it to a usb adapter to get any data you need.

Rick

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 06:09:47 pm »
I tool one of my older computers that really didn't have enough memory for modern OS's and used a usb stick to run FreeNAS. It works very well as a network attached storage device.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:32:49 pm »
I collect the power supplies and use the fans in them to run my solar heater I made into my wood drying kiln. I run10 fans off a small solar battery charger. Works great enough I made a solar heater for my work shop and plan on addingone to my hot house for spinning.

John
 I reuse almost anything :tongue:
Have not found a use for dog poop yet. :wink:

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:32:17 pm »
 :wink:brown paper bag. ma :wink:tch

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 10:19:17 am »
>Have not found a use for dog poop yet.

It goes in the compost pile...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 06:59:35 pm »
  Just inheriited an old Dell Optiplex 760 which was on the way to the dump. Had Windows XP which got scrubbed and and is now loaded with Linux Mint 17, running like a charm.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 08:38:03 pm »
What all did you lose in going from XP to Linux?  I read you lose Outlook, Internet Explorer(which I've not used in at least a decade), Quicken (that one I'd miss).  What's great about Linux?  XP was never that great, but what's great about Linux?  I'm never going to Windows 8, so I'm looking for a good alternative.  Help me (us).
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 08:56:20 pm »
Linx is good with open office

can do as much as office 97

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:38:06 pm »
Okay, Jayj200.  I've read some reviews, but i tend to trust real users more than reviews by pros.  I have three computers  with XP, one with Windows 7, an old Mac, an iPad and plan to go with Apple on new stuff, but I'm cheap, so I really want to prolong the life of stuff I have.  My wife's concern is with all the pictures on our various computers.  Anybody recommend a really good photo program?  My wife transferred pics from the desktop to her laptop and the pics that were in "albums" were suddenly scattered all over the place.  Same with music...iTunes update lost all her playlists. 

I have over 5,000 tunes in my music files.  Can you imagine having to go through and put all those back in their proper places? 

I don't really trust Apple or Microsoft to preserve what I have.  I'm asking for advice.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 02:33:33 pm »
Good question!  I've been using Microsoft forever, but I refuse to switch to Windows 8.  Why MS would so radically change something that has worked very well on the desktop (at least) for so many years is dumbfounding.  I guess that's why the MS CEOs gets paid so many millions every year.... to make such good decisions....and buy basketball teams  :cool:

I can see the need for a different interface for the phones and tables, but why the heeeeeeck force it on the desktops too?  I'll be reluctantly looking at Apple when it comes time to retire Windows 7.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »
>Why MS would so radically change something that has worked very well on the desktop (at least) for so many years is dumbfounding.

Well, to play the devil's advocate, the most used operating system at this point is Android version of Linux.  So they felt they needed to compete in the tablet market and made a version for touch screens.  What they didn't take into account were people who do not have touch screens and likely will never have touch screens.

The other thing they did not take into account (and never have) is that probably the only reasons to stick with an operating system is that you know it and have software to run on it.  Yet every version of windows changes the interface and I have to relearn where every thing I used to know has been moved to.  I have never found it any more or less intuitive when they move it, but they move it anyway.  The same with every other version of Office.  They change all the controls.  The main reason I have to stick with an operating system and a suite of programs is that I know them.  When you change the entire interface, I no longer know them.  Microsoft is constantly giving me incentives to move to Linux and Open Office instead of Windoze and Office.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 04:41:19 pm »
           Hi Dallasbeek. All I am missing so far from Windows are Freecell, Hearts and Mahjong, was a breakfast habit of trying to win the 3 games in succession.

Now use Firefox for browsing, Thunderbird for email and Open Office for all write, calculate and the other operations attributed to Microsoft Office.

On this machine am using Linux Mint 17 which loads and opens up so quick and it shuts down almost instantly without any hassles. First off I needed help from another party to get rid of Windows and install Linux but feel I am now in a position to convert my laptop without help also.

Other upsides of Linux is the availability of so much more free software and the almost immediate response for help from so many other users world wide. There are forums (like Beemaster) and Chat sessions who are always helpful.

I know that when you buy a new computer it is more than likely already loaded with Windows which may be touted as free but somewhere someone has paid for the software which would be part of the cost of your new computer.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 05:09:55 pm »
Okay, Jayj200.  I've read some reviews, but i tend to trust real users more than reviews by pros.  I have three computers  with XP, one with Windows 7, an old Mac, an iPad and plan to go with Apple on new stuff, but I'm cheap, so I really want to prolong the life of stuff I have.  My wife's concern is with all the pictures on our various computers.  Anybody recommend a really good photo program?  My wife transferred pics from the desktop to her laptop and the pics that were in "albums" were suddenly scattered all over the place.  Same with music...iTunes update lost all her playlists. 

I have over 5,000 tunes in my music files.  Can you imagine having to go through and put all those back in their proper places? 

I don't really trust Apple or Microsoft to preserve what I have.  I'm asking for advice.

Dallas
burn them to cd dvd and an extra for the safe then one fore each kid

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 09:44:31 pm »
And what happens in a few years when they obsolete CDs (ooops already did) and DVDs (just about)?  It will be like trying to play your old home videos on a Beta Machine  :oops:

I don't trust optical media to store anything reliably.  When I was in the business we had these optical things called WORM drives for archival backups.  Stood for Write Once, Read Many.  All the technical guys had an inside joke about them.  They called them Write Once, Read NEVER! 

Jay, you just can't beat magnetism for reliable storage of data.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 09:54:38 pm »
then found dead capacitors. on the mother board. you know the can type thingy s. I got good at recognizing them. on the end with the x on it when they become puffed or domed, not flat they are bad and must be replaced. one might try repairing them oneself. what caused it is the issue.

You had a working HHO generator and didn't even know it! :cool:

The capacitors you speak of are called 'electrolytic" capacitors.  They have a water based dielectric between the metal plates that increases the capacitance of the device.  When they get too hot (high ESR) that water can vaporize, maybe even split into HHO, and explode.  They are not hard to replace, just make sure your replace them with new GOOD Japanese caps (per Deknows plague report) with the same (or higher) voltage rating.

it is most likely a bad power supply then it is likely time to bite the big one. save the hd and cables
$30, or less, buys a new power supply from one of the big online computer stores.  Not a big deal to replace as a DIY.

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 08:24:27 pm »
i ditched  winblows    years ago,  linux mint works great, no worries about viruses, it.s free .  You can even burn it to a cd  and try  it before you install it  to make sure it will work with your hardware.

anything