Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thin Honey?  (Read 5486 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Thin Honey?
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:03:19 am »
I had a friend/customer describe some honey he had bought from me this year. He said it tasted different and it was real thin, just like water had been added. Of course he wasn't accusing me of such because we've know each other for decades.

I have the same issue. Some of my honey is just as thin as it can be. When he first described it I thought SHBs had slimed it. I noticed a slightly different taste when I harvested, which I now think may be sourwood. I have a theory why my honey is so thin but I wanted to hear from yall.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Thin Honey?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:30:13 am »
Did it ferment?  Did your bees rob a hive that was being fed?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:32:44 am »
The honey I pulled was 85-90 percent capped. In addition I did the shake test in hot weather. Fermenting was one of my theories the other one was rain. We had rain all spring and summer. I wasn't sure if that would have made the nectar thin. This was the second pull (July) I pulled from probably 25 hives, which none had been fed since the spring flow.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 01:40:27 pm »
It could just be nectar source.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 01:53:08 pm »
It could just be nectar source

That's the kind of answer I was looking for (lol)

It seems I remember thinking when I was pouring it that it was thin and I do remember it having a distinct taste and being dark.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 05:44:23 pm »
It could just be nectar source

That's the kind of answer I was looking for (lol)

It seems I remember thinking when I was pouring it that it was thin and I do remember it having a distinct taste and being dark.

Just curious How do you know what kind of Answer. You are  looking for ..LOL

Did you use a refractometer ??  For  moisture content.

BEE HAPPY Jim  134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 05:47:11 pm »
I question the capability of people using instruments that they have never used before to get an accurate reading.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 05:58:54 pm »
Why do we need to use an electronic instrument, when a Baume' scale specific gravity bulb will give proportional gravity reading based on weight of honey which 'I Think" would be based on water content.  It would seem that weight and not density would be a very accurate reading of honey water content.  I do not understand how a color refractometer could be as accurate due to impurities and difference of honey color
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:23:09 pm by paus »

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 06:08:47 pm »
For those who don't know what a honey refractometer is.This particular Instrument reads  moisture content in honey

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Honey-Refractometer

BEE HAPPY Jim  134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 07:40:23 pm »
I can not get it through my thick head why other things in honey would not bend or refract the light rays causing a false reading.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 11:27:29 pm »
You are not using a prism and light source.
Brix scale

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 08:03:46 am »
I can not get it through my thick head why other things in honey would not bend or refract the light rays causing a false reading.
You mean like syrup or sugar or other chemicals in the hive?  They do.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 08:42:19 am »
I have always had the mindset, if they cap it, it's ready.

...always learning something new, I might be wrong.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 09:08:20 am »

Me too.  An issue can occur if there are some cells uncapped next to those that are capped.  Just because it is uncapped doesn't mean it isn't dry enough.  However I freeze my frames and upon taking them out to thaw condensation forms on the capped cells and runs down in the uncapped cells and the honey in those uncapped cells suck up that water.  That caused a problem for me last year.  So this year I will try to avoid uncapped cell even if the honey in them is dry enough and when I pull my boxes out of the freezer I am going to turn them upside down to thaw out.  Hopefully condensation will not flow in the uncapped cells if there are any.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 09:44:45 am »

...always learning something new, I might be wrong.

Just because honey is cap ..Does not mean the moisture Content of the honey is correct ...

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 07:54:43 am »
Just because honey is cap ..Does not mean the moisture Content of the honey is correct ...

Then wouldn't the bees have an issue with fermentation? Or would they care? I know they'll rob a frame that we wouldn't touch.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 08:13:41 am »
Then wouldn't the bees have an issue with fermentation?
yes
Or would they care?
Yes they would care.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 04:03:45 pm »
lol, just when I thought I was on top of my bee keeping game they throw me a curve ball..

thanks everybody, interesting comments.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 04:09:16 pm »
So if the honey is thin it has to much water and could ferment? If it ferments could we then not make mead?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 04:26:09 pm »
So if the honey is thin it has to much water and could ferment? If it ferments could we then not make mead?

I am told you can make mead with fermented honey.  This year I will try a batch.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything