Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aerial spray  (Read 1466 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Aerial spray
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:48:12 pm »
My county in Florida is aerial spraying Dibrom at night 8 pm- 5 in passes 1 night for  mosquitoes, my girls just survived the storm and tree damage, now this. I covered landing boards  with over hang, but I am worried. Not to happy with them right now, but they did call me and tell me at least( because I'm on the no spray list)
Here is hoping my 8 hives make it

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
Re: Aerial spray
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 05:13:24 am »
Don't you put a wet bed sheet over hives. I thought that's what was recommended to other year when they were spraying for zika ?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:38:08 am »
My neighbor just sent me, late last night, a warning that he received. They are supposed to be spraying the entire county. At first, it thought I would be ok because this area is mostly forest but he said they will be spraying from morning till dark. I called the number that was added for beekeepers to call in but it is probably too late. For what it is worth, I asked them to not spray near the pond, where the bees are.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 09:23:16 am »
Well they are spraying 8pm- am I am moving my hives tonight in to my barn. Then back out tomorrow,

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:05:31 pm »
Dibrom is also called Naled.  I reframe (it is not easy) from further comment.
Blessings

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:39:52 pm »
Well they  postponed spraying. We went and spoke to  commissioners it is amazing how they know so little on spraying a organophosphate poison on a population. I am for control not blanket application. Here is hope they follow clay county https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news4jax.com/news/florida/clay-county/clay-county-nixes-plans-for-aerial-mosquito-spraying

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 03:04:55 pm »
Well they sprayed last night without notice after weather cancellation. Had nothing moved or covered, haven't seen anything abnormal yet, cleaned water and will see if it is a factor in coming days.
Not really happy about it, heard the plane last night late and then a press release today

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 12:45:57 am »
That stinks!!  I am fortunate that they don't have the capability for aerial spaying in my area.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:57:34 am »
We don't either it is a contract with state

Offline bobsim

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 04:37:04 am »
  A few months ago I was in the yard when the helicopter came spraying at dawn. I noticed dead bees and crawlers for a couple of days. I found that the office of the mosquito control was near me and drove over to talk with the folks.

They told me some beeks have misting heads fixed over their hives and activate them during spraying/fogging. It seems the chemical is less effective upon contact with water. I have been out of town and now that I'm back I'm considering this. While I was there they took my contact info and call me whenever they're planning to hit my area so I do have the advanced warning to make a system effective.

Honestly I was impressed and a little surprised at the effort these folks put into working with beekeepers. I left some honey for their lunchroom.

anything