BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Using scented Dishwashing detergent in the mesh bottom board tray for shb.

(1/2) > >>

Charlie Bezzina:
Hello,

What are people's thoughts or experience regarding using scented Dishwashing detergent in the tray of a mesh bottom board for small hive beetle control? Is it ok, or should I stop using it immediately.

I have filled my tray with the stuff because that is what I have available and I have read that soap is a lot less messy and smelly compared to old vegetable oil, but I am concerned that the fragrance in the soap is going to be too much for the bees.

Thanks for reading.

Ben Framed:
Hi Charlie,
I have heard of using dish soap in bottom trays, but diluted by water. I do not recall a discussion using pure dish washing soap. One problem folks mentioned when using the diluted version is evaporation..  With this in mind I do not know how fast the pure soap evaporates.  Just curious; If or when it does evaporate, what will be left behind in the tray?

Now, since your bees can't reach the tray or it contents in any form, I do not see an immediate problem as far as contact goes. As far as odor or any other problem you ask about, I do not know. I look forward to hearing from others on this.

Good Topic Charlie. Thanks for posting.

Phillip

Charlie Bezzina:
Hi Phillip. Thanks.

I will clarify by saying that I did dilute it with water. I used about 1 teaspoon of detergent to  1 cup of water.

The dish soap has a fake lemon smell, but because I made such a strong mixture compared to what is normal for dishwashing it does have a very strong smell when I mix it up.

Ben Framed:
Personally I do not think you will have a problem as long as the bees can't reach the pan area. We have had discussions about dish soap before and I can't recall anyone mentioning the diluted soap and its scent being a problem.

Phillip

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on October 25, 2022, 10:46:17 pm ---Personally I do not think you will have a problem as long as the bees can't reach the pan area. We have had discussions about dish soap before and I can't recall anyone mentioning the diluted soap and its scent being a problem.

Phillip

--- End quote ---
I don't have any experience with beetle trays personally (I use Swiffer sheets), but I agree with Phillip.  As long as the bees don't fan like crazy to evacuate the scent when you fill the tray, I think you can assume it doesn't bother them. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version