Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow the Bloom 2016  (Read 15220 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Follow the Bloom 2016
« on: January 03, 2016, 11:57:29 am »
It is once again time to start a new follow the bloom thread.. Hope all blooms come early ,produce heavily, and last for a good spell. Hats off to all beekeepers, new and not so new. :)
We just came through a very mild fall here in the mid Atlantic and Northeast,but winter now seems to be setting its sights upon us. It will be interesting to see how a late change of season may change the outcome in the spring.
Happy Keeping, and remember, if you need to order bees, the time will be upon us real soon!!

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: Follow the Bloom 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:50:36 am »
Today the bees were merrily working the broccoli side shoots that bolted... I expect these next few nights will put the quietus on that.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:59 am »
LOL its finally "fall" here in the Florida Keys. All of our deciduous trees lose their leaves in the spring prior to putting on new growth and blossoming. I may actually have to rake in the next few days.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline BuGGy-DMC

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:28:43 am »
Just slightly north of KW on the lovely islands of Matlacha & Pine Island, near Ft. Myers, the Mango trees are starting... No nectar from them, but lots of pollen.

Some of the neighbor's citrus has started but not sure how things are out in the groves yet.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 01:09:10 pm »
I am seeing yellow and gray (maple) pollen. Too many plants around here with yellow to know what it is. Probable Bahia grass.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Costa

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:44:58 pm »
Great photo of the bee busy at work with the broccoli. Thanks for sharing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 10:23:50 am »
No true single source flow in Key Largo yet but there is so much in bloom I am having to keep a close eye on space  and the ladies are filling outer brood box frames with nectar fast....With the solid brood patterns and the number of drones I am starting to see I am going to have to go into swarm control mode in the next 2-3 weeks I am tthinking. Here is a close up of one of my ladies on the Borage out in the Garden.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!

Offline DavidD

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:23:27 pm »
34 F   This morning and I see this

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 09:19:25 pm »
I couldn't find this one, so started another.  Can you kill that thread, Ken?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 11:12:31 am »
I think blooming crocuses in the snow count!  :grin:

Here, I'm not sure what will bloom first. I'm excited to see. Maybe dandelions in May, depending? We've had constant snow in the valley since mid-Nov. Most in 20 years.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:21:23 am »
I don't know what or where they were getting it but today I saw my bees bringing in yellow pollen.  Our temps have been going from 70's for high one day to 40's high with lows in the 20's to 50's.  I saw some plum trees that were wanting to bloom, but three days this week lows have been in the 20's.  Probably will get all the early blooms.

Good luck to you and your bees,

Joe D

Offline mowarren

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 04:40:09 pm »
Bees are working maple trees in SW Missouri today

Offline Deimos

• Brood
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 09:36:26 pm »
Here in NE Kansas, my bees have been bringing in grey and yellow pollen-likely elm and soft maple, these last two days.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 12:46:48 am »
Bees working yellow crocus, deadnettle and veronica in central VA today.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 10:07:36 pm »

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 11:18:54 pm »
I've got a few Easter flowers blooming.  The crocuses are going to start blooming this week.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 11:48:43 am »

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 01:42:31 pm »
Tons of exotic landscape stuff blooming here in the Keys and the girls are laying in surplus nectar so we have something of a "flow"...the main flow from the mangroves, seagrapes, and other flowering trees is acting weird this year and seems to be delayed due to a much wetter than normal winter. We are finally in a more normal "dry pattern" so I hope we get the main flow started soon....its been a weird winter and I would like to see some normalcy ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 12:21:58 am »
Maples are blooming and with a near 70 degree day the bees were busy packing in the pollen. :happy:

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 12:58:38 am »
We're having tons of blossoms on Bradford pears, a fruitless trash tree with weak branching habits that looks pretty, grows fast, dies early, but provides pollen and maybe nectar to our bees.  Plant nurseries promote the sale because they are cheap, grow quickly and in about 12 years they can be replaced.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944