Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning beesuits  (Read 4038 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Cleaning beesuits
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:12:08 pm »
I know that a beesuit needs to be washed after using it, especially gloves as stingers left on clothes leaves traces of attack pheromones, which will alarm bees on a future day if wearing the same suit.

What needs to be done to properly wash a suit and gloves though? Does it need to be thrown into the washing machine with soap, or can simply putting the suit and gloves on the clothes line and squirt it down with a hose, suffice?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Cleaning beesuits
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:59:07 am »
If you are going to wash it then do it by itself in the washing machine.  I recommend laundry detergent.  You don't want to gum up the machine.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 01:57:43 pm »
We put our suits in the washing machine with detergent. First I make sure to zip it up and connect all of the Velcro. When done we hand it up to dry.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:45:35 pm »
I wash mine about once a year whether it needs it or not... hang it on the clothesline and hose it off...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
Sun drying is good if you want to bleach the turd spots but the suit won't last as long.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 12:57:33 am »
Sounds like you all need to get a better class of bee, with all the stings and turds on you bee suits.   Ok just couldn't resist.
I do wash mine once a year also, laundry detergent and a touch of bleach, and hang up to drip dry.  I usually don't get stung over a couple of times.  If I get stung much it time to see why or change Queens.

Joe D.

Offline Beecky

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 12:12:52 pm »
I've been told not to wash the suits in my washer because the propolis will get stuck to the inside of the washer drum and it's impossible to get it out.  What wash cycle do you use and what temps do you wash the suits at? 
Any tips on washing the big hats with veils?  And, how do you clean the leather gloves?  Thanks!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 02:08:16 pm »
Beecky,
If you are trying to remove propolis whether it is from your washer or clothes, just use alcohol. I use it to clean propolis by dissolving it and then running the alcohol propolis mixture through a paper filter.
Then I allow the alcohol to evaporate leaving the propolis.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beecky

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 02:12:57 pm »
Thank you sawdstmakr!! :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 02:41:19 pm »
Beecky,
If you are trying to remove propolis whether it is from your washer or clothes, just use alcohol. I use it to clean propolis by dissolving it and then running the alcohol propolis mixture through a paper filter.
Then I allow the alcohol to evaporate leaving the propolis.
Jim Altmiller

Jim do you collect propolis?  I know that there are people doing it but I don't know how it is done. Maybe I should start a new topic?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 06:15:17 pm »
Any tips on washing the big hats with veils? 
I have an all in one veil and hat that?s all fabric and I soak it in oxyclean and then just dry it on the clothesline.  It keeps it nice and white. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beecky

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 12:23:11 pm »
"I soak it in oxyclean and then just dry it on the clothesline.  It keeps it nice and white."

What concentration of oxyclean and what temp of water?  Thanks!!

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 12:43:18 pm »
"I soak it in oxyclean and then just dry it on the clothesline.  It keeps it nice and white."

What concentration of oxyclean and what temp of water?  Thanks!!
I just use a bucket and cold water from the hose and follow the soaking directions on the package for "Tough Laundry Stains".  I soak it for however long the package says, rinse it off with the hose, and hang it up to dry.  Easy peasy.  :happy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline JConnolly

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »
Add 1 cup (~200ml) of washing soda powder to your favorite laundry detergent.  Use washing soda, not to be confused with baking soda.  Washing soda has a higher PH.  That helps dissolve the propolis and run it down the drain.   

Washing soda is also great for cleaning tools, fill a deep tray with hot water,  add a bit of dishwashing soap and then add washing soda until no more will dissolve, and then soak your tools, excluders, whatever in it.  After a while wipe and rinse clean.  Sometimes thick propolis on items like excluders will need a resoak.  Warning: This will take paint off of items such as hive tools.

Offline Beecky

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 11:01:26 pm »
THANK YOU JConnolly!!  :grin: