Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trapout finished >> Now robbing to finish the job :)  (Read 2424 times)

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
Trapout finished >> Now robbing to finish the job :)
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:11:24 am »
I just have to give a big thank you to Iddee for his video on how to do trap outs.  I watched your video at least 20 times thus making me into a professional trap outter :) Hats off to you sir.

This trap out is basically done, I removed the cone 4 days ago, checked the old hive every day, saw no bees so I assumed there wasnt much honey to rob.  Tonight I went to pull the trap and the old hive was getting robbed out.  I've seen questions about what robbing looks like so I took a vid with my phone to show it.  It's not the craziest robbing I've ever seen but robbing none the less.  The tell tale signs are the behavior of the bees and the specs of wax left at the entrance.  Sooooo, I left the nuc for a few more days until all the honey is robbed out.  This is the final stage of a trap out if the homeowner doesn't want major bug problems in their wall later in the year due to degrading comb and who knows how much honey.  The nuc weighs 35# easy by the way :)
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Re: Trapout finished >> Now robbing to finish the job :)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »
I've done several trap-outs from Iddee's video.
When the bees are done robbing the nest then all that will be left is plain bees wax.
That will hurt nothing.
I'd seal up or have the owner seal up the opening to the nest and call it a successful job.
But the entrance has to be sealed
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:06:30 pm »
I second capt44.  Seal that entrance!  I had a trap out with a large entrance, the homeowner just shoved a random piece of foam sheet to block the entrance and a swarm chewed right through and moved in the following year.  I got a call - "They're back!".  "Did you fill up the space left with "greatstuff pond & stone" (It was a stone column) like I told you to?" "No..."

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:06:38 pm »
How long had the trap out been in place before you allowed the bees back to rob the honey?     Did you add a queen to your trap out or let them make their own? 
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke