Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not telling your spouse  (Read 8374 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Not telling your spouse
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:42:15 am »
Swarm season is in full swing here and my wife is fed up with me chasing and catching more swarms.

So I find myself not telling her about half the swarms I'm catching.  :evil:

Anybody else have to evade the truth about their beekeeping?

Don

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Not telling your spouse
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:52:35 pm »
My wife sometimes get a little upset when I call her to say I am chasing after bees. Usually though if I do not have anyone to help me she will come along and help out. She does not like to go into the hives but when needed she will hold a frame of bees and hand me tools and take close up pictures.  :)
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:29:24 pm »
You guys will be starting that 12 step pogram before long! :-D :-D

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 12:40:36 pm »
Yea, Thanks Buzzbee.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:54:40 pm »

Sign me up, cuckoo for cocoa puffs

Step 1 should be- you are only allowed to keep mean bees (got popped on the ear and under the arm last night shampooing the dog in the back yard)  :rant:

Don

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 06:51:46 pm »
Jim
least she knows your not chasing skirts.

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
The only thing my wife is worried about is the cost,To her, free bees are great,cost to house them not so great.
My mentor wants me to get 50 more boxes "just in case"  :-D

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:20:10 pm »
Lying to your spouse to cover your activities is a sign of addiction.  :evil:
Do you often tell yourself "I could stop if I really wanted to."?
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 09:43:36 pm »

Step 1 should be- you are only allowed to keep mean bees (got popped on the ear and under the arm last night shampooing the dog in the back yard)  :rant:

Don

When first reading that I missed the dog in the comments. I thought you were having to shampoo in the back yard! :-D :-D

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 10:34:24 pm »
Boys,

The nice part about being single.......no explanations .....except to self. ........WHERE are you going to put them if you catch them????

Outta $$$$ and outta ideas. Now need to cultivate friend with wood working skills and tools to do so!!!!

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:33 am »
Boys,

The nice part about being single.......no explanations .....except to self. ........WHERE are you going to put them if you catch them????

Outta $$$$ and outta ideas. Now need to cultivate friend with wood working skills and tools to do so!!!!

I've come to the conclusion (although I had no idea at the time) I had no more chance of getting away than these swarms we catch  :-X

Good luck Miss Carol, lots of handy guys with tools in Tennessee.

Don

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 03:33:10 pm »
Guilty.  The extremes are: one to three swarms a week when nothing is going on and I'm well below radar, to If I'm in the middle of family commitments I've got to hope they'll stay or pass them on.  As with any relationship you've got to pick the proverbial field your willing to march out on to stand as well as recognize superior forces and cede the field.  She does the same for her pursuits as well.

To this point I tell her I could always take up golf instead of keeping bees...  So far that's her tipping point.  If she ever calls me on it though I'm hosed as I enjoy beekeeping and hate golf.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:42:03 am »

To this point I tell her I could always take up golf instead of keeping bees...  So far that's her tipping point.  If she ever calls me on it though I'm hosed as I enjoy beekeeping and hate golf.
Same here. My attempts at golfing look more like bowling with a smaller ball.  :-D
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 11:31:49 pm »
Don
looking for the girl that runs a table saw as well as sets a good table

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42:38 am »
I tell her, then deal with the aftermath later. She gets really angry because of the time involved. She says that until the kids have left the nest and I am retired, I don't have time for a hobby! There is too much to do to be doing anything for yourself. I say "bullsh!t to that"! That's one reason there are so many divorces; over-controlling/nagging spouses! :-x

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 04:05:09 pm »
Next time tell her you were out with your mistress... when she finds out it was just a swarm she will be relieved...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 08:02:31 am »
And here I thought I was the only one. Thanks guys.
Later,
Ray

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 09:10:06 am »
Tis easyier to get forgiveness than permission so carry on gents.
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 10:36:32 am »
The way I see it, if one secretly bets the rent money on the ponies, drops by the beer store twice a day, spends 'quality' time with a woman that's not his wife or snorts a line of cocaine now and then, he needs to re-evaluate his value system and, quite probably, get professional help.

If a woman needs to object to her mate's perfectly legal, moral and productive past times, she needs to re-evaluate her value system and, quite probably, get professional help.  I recognize that many women, and men for that matter, need to control their mate's every move - that's illness not virtue.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 06:20:08 pm »
The way I see it, if one secretly bets the rent money on the ponies, drops by the beer store twice a day, spends 'quality' time with a woman that's not his wife or snorts a line of cocaine now and then, he needs to re-evaluate his value system and, quite probably, get professional help.

If a woman needs to object to her mate's perfectly legal, moral and productive past times, she needs to re-evaluate her value system and, quite probably, get professional help.  I recognize that many women, and men for that matter, need to control their mate's every move - that's illness not virtue.
I gotta ask...Are you married?  I don't look at it as control, she just wants me to spend that much time with her. I think it's more like jealousy.  :-D
Ray
Later,
Ray

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 07:04:19 pm »
I gotta ask...Are you married?  I don't look at it as control, she just wants me to spend that much time with her. I think it's more like jealousy.  :-D
Ray
Ray, whether I am married or not is irrelevant.  The OP raised a question around not telling their mate the whole truth about their pursuit of a perfectly legitimate, moral and productive hobby.  In any case where one or the other or both the parties to a marriage find that they cannot be truthful with their mate, a problem exists in there somewhere.

Regards, Dennis
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 08:46:18 pm »
Ray
Ray, whether I am married or not is irrelevant.  The OP raised a question around not telling their mate the whole truth about their pursuit of a perfectly legitimate, moral and productive hobby.  In any case where one or the other or both the parties to a marriage find that they cannot be truthful with their mate, a problem exists in there somewhere.

I ment no harm. I took this as a light hearted spoof of a post. Just having fun.
Later,
Ray

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 09:29:57 pm »
I ment no harm. I took this as a light hearted spoof of a post. Just having fun.

No worries, Ray, no offence taken. 

When some one poses a question, as the OP has, I get a little serious.  Let's face it, the issue he raised apparently weighs heavily enough on a Sunday afternoon for him to throw it out there to an international forum of people that, for the most part, he really doesn't know very well.  Maybe is was just having a really boring day ... or maybe his bee pursuits are having some negative impact, for whatever reason, on his relationship with his wife and he is feeling that maybe he needs to do something to address it.   I have no idea which, and I make no judgement, but I can say that I would much rather risk ending up red faced for over-reacting than to find, too late, that I had blown someone off when they were making an effort to address a problem.

Regards, Dennis

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 10:12:57 am »

I took this as a light hearted spoof of a post. Just having fun.

:cheer:

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 01:10:46 am »
Thankfully my wife is heavily involved with getting me contacts for removals and swarms. Running her own candle business and needing MOAR Beeswax is certainly working to my advantage!!
   We always try to meet in the middle, and it has worked well for 26 Plus years. The day I have to lie to her in order to get away with doing something moral, legal and productive as DM said, is the day we would have a "real" argument.
   Michael.. If I told my wife I was seeing my Girl friend she'd just laugh..    Now if we want to talk about building engines and drag racing and the cost associated, as well as the lack of "productive" in that hobby I might be able to offer some advice in getting around the wife's arguments.. What is the resale value of 30 pairs of shoes?    :-D
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 03:33:35 pm »
I always have fun Ray

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 09:30:15 am »

Don

When first reading that I missed the dog in the comments. I thought you were having to shampoo in the back yard! :-D :-D

he was shampooing in the back yard with the dog

anything