Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeybees and US Wildfires  (Read 1617 times)

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Honeybees and US Wildfires
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:20:25 pm »
I've been wondering as of late about beekeepers in CA, WA and OR and how they have been faring the wildfires in the west coast.  I know it's an arduous task, but since many of the large operators there are used to migrating hives for pollination of almonds, etc., does anyone know if any attempted to relocate their apiaries that were in the path of the current fires?  That would be a ton of work but when your entire stock of bees is at risk, it seems like a motivating factor.

It seems many smaller apiaries have been impacted for sure based on this article I found online that was posted earlier this month.  Very sad...

https://beemission.com/blogs/news/millions-of-bees-in-500-beehives-burn-in-california-wildfires

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Honeybees and US Wildfires
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:44:30 pm »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:51 pm »
That sucks. If I lived in a area prone for fires I would be prepared for that.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 05:02:40 pm »
Randy Oliver's sons had to move four yards.  Three of the yards were removed from the area, but the last yard wasn't allowed to be removed because the fire was too close for them to enter the area.  Luck was with them, and the fire did not jump a road that ran beside the bee yard.  This saved their colonies.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:34:44 pm »
Randy Oliver's sons had to move four yards.  Three of the yards were removed from the area, but the last yard wasn't allowed to be removed because the fire was too close for them to enter the area.  Luck was with them, and the fire did not jump a road that ran beside the bee yard.  This saved their colonies.

Geez, what a lot of work and headache that had to be.  Not to mention with how dry it has been it will take time for the flora to return before bringing the bees back to the area. At least they were able to relocate and save the hives and fortunately the fire spared the last one.  Talk about close for comfort!

Offline charentejohn

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 08:06:58 am »
I did feel for the wildlife that must have been killed in these areas, someone elsewhere mentioned bees in this.

One positive for people to consider, bearing in mind the losses for truck based pollinator businesses, is to spread hives out near where they are used.

For Almonds, just as one example, if space around the trees was set aside for year round forage, including trees ivy etc, then they could have their own permanent bee colonies.  I believe the problem is the businesses don't want the bother and expense of doing this.
As it looks like they may now be short of hives it could be an opportunity for the suppliers to diversify into this and permanently site and manage hives on the plantations.  They have the resources, hives, and knowledge to supply hives and maybe franchise their care locally.  Still the same income with less stress and risk of having all the hives in one place open to such disasters.  With a changing climate you never know when an area may be suddenly affected by heat or cold.   

Worth costing out perhaps, better for bees and better for their owners ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 10:04:03 pm »
  While the losses in California are certainly tragic, I cant help but to think that smart beekeepers would be making plans for hive placement now.  With millions of acres burnt I would think that the wildflower blooms in the near future are going to be off the charts.  Great days are probably coming for the beekeepers that are thinking ahead with a positive attitude.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 01:44:07 am »
  While the losses in California are certainly tragic, I cant help but to think that smart beekeepers would be making plans for hive placement now.  With millions of acres burnt I would think that the wildflower blooms in the near future are going to be off the charts.  Great days are probably coming for the beekeepers that are thinking ahead with a positive attitude.

I think you are right!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.