Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mr Van, Honey Pump, This One's For You!!  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Mr Van, Honey Pump, This One's For You!!
« on: July 01, 2020, 12:25:09 am »
Richard is exceptionally excited tonight! This gets better and better as it goes along. Enjoy.......

https://youtu.be/oP4Mrk6khQg

.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 01:36:34 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Mr Van, Honey Pump, This One's For You!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:39:03 am »
Good video.  Can sure tell what part of beekeeping he enjoys the most - queens.
Crossing fingers for successful outcomes.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 04:47:29 pm »
That lady wearing shorts in the beginning of the video, Elisha, is a true Master of insemination [II] of honeybees.  She is the one who trained Richard in II technology.  I am kind of surprised she is not introduced.  Instrumental insemination of honey bees is very difficult and expensive.  The equipment is $4K for starters and training is upwards of $800 a day.  However, to breed a better bee, or breed a better anything, husbandry needs to be directed towards the betterment of the species.  Betterment being defined by Man and not Nature.

There will always be ones who oppose intervention and wish nature as the guide.  In the natural world nature is the best at husbandry.  But who lives in a natural world now a days with our 3,000 pound angus bulls and insect free, weed free corn and soy with push of a button for comfort in our homes.

So in the grand scheme of life are those wishing to build a better bee now that our technology has introduced Varroa, virus, beetles etc to the bees and we try our hand at bee husbandry with the best of intentions.

I see two types of honeybees in the future: the natural bee that hides unseen in the forested selected by nature at her finest and our hybrid; select bees breed for our desires: Varroa resistance, honey production, low swarm tendencies, gentle.  Yep, I instrumental inseminate queens hoping for the later and pray for the former.  Honeybees are so dynamic, they will survive.  Bee breeding is challenging and so much fun.  Have I told you about Alpha, my precious 4.5 year old queen?

Thanks for the video, Phil.

Cheers
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 05:11:23 pm »
A lil bit of up to date bee breeding regarding instrumental insemination.  We are starting to breed a single drone to a queen abbreviated SDM for single drone mated queen.  Well scientists have been doing this for years but recently Bee breeders have understood the concept.  A SDM queen lays super sisters.  They are called super sisters because every Worker bee in the hive has only one dad.  One dad makes for easy understanding the genetics traits.  Each drone has approx 5 million to 7.5 million spermozoa, so the numbers are there.  I am gearing up to breed some of these super queens in just a few weeks.

Queen longevity is about a year but a lot of queens are replaced on a yearly basis anyway.  Special attention has to be paid to inbreeding or the beekeeper is going to end up with shotgun brood patterns.  I sometimes wonder which side of nature I am meddling with: good side or bad side?  I just do what I am trained to do:  look at the traits and breed for the best.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 05:11:44 pm »
Thank you both. Mr Van,  Richard did introduce Elisha in another prior video, last year if I remember correctly. He actually featured her in that video. On the ball and enthusiastic about bees, Richard is striving for a better suited bee in all categories, especially Varroa Destructor resistant bees. Though he started in honey, he actually has expanded his sights and is a man of vision. He has traveled to spend time with MIchael Palmer, learning from him first hand. He also travels to Hawaii spending time with a fellow beekeeper there. Not to mention the above of having Elisha fly to Brittany and help him learn there at his home in the Science if II.

I enjoy his videos as he is enthusiastic and eager to share his knowledge. I have never ask a question to Richard that he has always willingly answers, though busy as he is. Mr HP said and I agree, he seems to be concentrating on queens.  Reminds me of a fellow with similar traits in Arkansas.  :wink:

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 05:16:01 pm »
A lil bit of up to date bee breeding regarding instrumental insemination.  We are starting to breed a single drone to a queen abbreviated SDM for single drone mated queen.  Well scientists have been doing this for years but recently Bee breeders have understood the concept.  A SDM queen lays super sisters.  They are called super sisters because every Worker bee in the hive has only one dad.  One dad makes for easy understanding the genetics traits.  Each drone has approx 5 million to 7.5 million spermozoa, so the numbers are there.  I am gearing up to breed some of these super queens in just a few weeks.

Queen longevity is about a year but a lot of queens are replaced on a yearly basis anyway.  Special attention has to be paid to inbreeding or the beekeeper is going to end up with shotgun brood patterns.  I sometimes wonder which side of nature I am meddling with: good side or bad side?  I just do what I am trained to do:  look at the traits and breed for the best.

Blessings

Mr Van what you are doing is not meddling in my opinion, and if so, as I see it, it can only be for good. I appreciate what you are doing. I would like to encourage to keep up the good work, as I thank you for sharing you road of research here with us.  Please continue and continue sharing your work.

Blessings
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:28:28 pm by Ben Framed »

anything