Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout transportation survival  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Cutout transportation survival
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:19:51 pm »
While transporting bees after a cutout, I realize that if the box gets  to cool the larva will die. And if the box gets too hot inside, the bees will die. My question is what or how do you keep the larva and bees alive on the trip home? And what tempature is to cool and what tempature is to hot for the inside of the box area? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Cutout transportation survival
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:30:48 pm »
I have never heard of bees dying when it is cold.  If there is enough bees they can heat the brood.  They die from heat because they are in a panic mode so without enough ventilation they will die rather quickly (from their own heat).  Not so much from ambient temperatures because I assume you will be in the vehicle and you won't die.  Two out of the six sides should be screened like a package.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:28:44 am »
The main thing is don't try to save all the brood.  Scrap all of the drone brood, and half of the worker brood so that the brood you do have is well covered in bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:02:00 am »
Perhaps I am missing something here?
Planning a cutout when airtemps are "warm" I can understand.
Planning a cutout when airtemps are so low as to think chilling
might be a factor to accomodate..?.. why would one?

Bill

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:21:04 am »
70 F. is minimum. There is no maximum if you have shade and ventilation.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 11:07:10 am »

"Hey, I just found a hive in a building I have to tear down tomorrow."
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 08:59:38 pm »
I have never heard of bees dying when it is cold.  If there is enough bees they can heat the brood.  They die from heat because they are in a panic mode so without enough ventilation they will die rather quickly (from their own heat).  Not so much from ambient temperatures because I assume you will be in the vehicle and you won't die.  Two out of the six sides should be screened like a package.

Nor have I, My question was about the tempature being to cold for larva.  Please read again. Perhaps if you were to put the fresh cutout in a heated van all would be ok but this is a luxury that I don't  have. I refuse to compromise the larva if I can avoid handling them improperly. I am in no hurry to make the cutout until I know the facts!! But thanks for your reply just the same.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 09:11:36 pm »

Bill
Yes Bill, Apparently you are missing something here . I will ask you the same question , why would one do a cut out when the tempature is to chilling for such an operation?  First of all you missed the fact that you are apparently an expert beekeeper with over 3000 post. You may have missed that this my second post "2 post". And being so, I am not such an expert and you. If you read my post carefully I never mentioned that I have planned a cutout when tempature are to chilling. I did ask what tempature is to cold to transport larva successfuly, So that I may avoid a  catastrophe  when I do make the cut out. But thank you for your reply just  the same. I am trying to learn as I go and was thinking that if I join this forum with such astounding bee experts as yourself and many others , that you would be more than happy to over look, a question that you can't understand and answer the one that you can understand . Thanks , Phillip Hall

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 09:12:31 pm »
The main thing is don't try to save all the brood.  Scrap all of the drone brood, and half of the worker brood so that the brood you do have is well covered in bees.

Thank you Michael, and thank you for your patience.. 😁

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 09:14:00 pm »

Thank you iddee! Just the answer that I was looking for!! Now I can plan ahead!!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 09:14:55 pm »

"Hey, I just found a hive in a building I have to tear down tomorrow."

Thank you for your reply.😁

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:49:53 pm »
I just want to say thanks to each of you that was kind enough to reply.  I have watched numerious videos on this subject and am excited about the prospective "adventures" to come.  Each one of you, I am sure, have spent many hours, days , and years learning about bees and you, sharing your knodlege is very selfless and commendable. I am new here and don't really have anything to offer except my gratitude and appreciation.  I have found a guy on YouTube from Australia that has some interesting videos also. The scenery ther is beautiful!!  Bill do you have a YouTube channel?  If so I would like to see your videos as well!! Thanks again to all!! Sincerely, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 08:07:46 am »
We still don't know where you are. Please put your location in your profile if you want accurate answers to your questions.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 09:11:59 am »
We still don't know where you are. Please put your location in your profile if you want accurate answers to your questions.

I am in North Mississippi. As soon as I figure out how to add to my profile I will add, still trying to find my way around here. This is new to me, again, thanks..

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 10:30:47 am »
    At the top of the home page click on profile, then just above the wide red line that says "Summary" click on modify profile.  Then you are on your own. :happy:
jimmy

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »

This is probably not an issue for you in Mississippi and I NEVER want to disagree with Iddee  :wink: but for some of us in colder climates, waiting for 70 degrees is not possible.  I have done them in much colder weather, the rain, sleet, etc. and been successful.  That said, the bees were acclimated to our area and used to much colder temps.

When I do a cutout especially in bad conditions, I do as much cleaning out of the hive as I can before I address the brood.  I remove it and get it banded into a box as quickly as I can and do try to save as much as I can, especially eggs.  Bad weather cutouts for me are usually done early in the year and because someone has to have it done NOW.  That means less honey to have to clean out and not as much brood.  That's a good thing if you are trying to move quickly.

Somewhere on here are helpful hints for cutouts and equipment.  I think everyone put their best info in there, so if you can find it, it's worth a read. 

Let us know how it goes for you.

Ah, here it is
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=13767.0

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 05:24:10 pm »
KathyP
This was very helpful as well
As intresting. Thank you very much for taking the time to add these comments. I am in no big hurry and the weather is getting better each day. Frost yesterday morning but low 50's this morning! Your experience with this gives me even more confidence that the brood should make it just fine!! Thank you again!! Sincerely, Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 06:14:17 pm »
    At the top of the home page click on profile, then just above the wide red line that says "Summary" click on modify profile.  Then you are on your own. :happy:

Thanks for the help ✅

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 04:33:31 pm »

Bill
Yes Bill, Apparently you are missing something here . I will ask you the same question , why would one
do a cut out when the tempature is to chilling for such an operation? 
(edit)
I would not, not plan for it neither, like in allowing for contingincies(sp?).
I might try a wintering version of a trapout, leaving them be to transition
over time, but no way woild I disturb a colony in those conditions.

My post was to have all folk think.. not just you, and certainly not directed
at you. Where I failed to communicate this  I apologise for my tardy education
in those things.

Bill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 08:51:07 pm »
To eltalia
Thank you Bill, I do appreicate your reply and comments.  Your and others,experience, is the reason  I joined this forum!! PS and thanks for not black balling me on my first question lol!! 😁

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:00 am »

PS and thanks for not black balling me on my first question lol!! 😁

Heh.. not my "style" Philip, being old enough and silly enough
to retain a belief in true democracy. Being, the Internet - and
other places - one can publish whatever they choose buuuuut it
is up to the reader to sort it all for themselves, often by silence
but hopefully sometimes by question and peer review.

You'll do okay, got a head on your shoulders, like.
BMA has gathered a few more new b'keeps of late, of similar
ilk/demeanour/mood as yours.. all way smarter than I as I copped
a 30day ban in quick time... heh heh :-)))

Bill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 09:06:52 am »

PS and thanks for not black balling me on my first question lol!! 😁

Heh.. not my "style" Philip, being old enough and silly enough
to retain a belief in true democracy. Being, the Internet - and
other places - one can publish whatever they choose buuuuut it
is up to the reader to sort it all for themselves, often by silence
but hopefully sometimes by question and peer review.

You'll do okay, got a head on your shoulders, like.
BMA has gathered a few more new b'keeps of late, of similar
ilk/demeanour/mood as yours.. all way smarter than I as I copped
a 30day ban in quick time... heh heh :-))
Bill

Thanks Bill and thanks for the kind words.😁

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:33 pm »
No worries Ben, it is what it is and should be recognised/
acknowledged when discovered. :-)))

Bill