Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hand Held Scale  (Read 4030 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Re: Hand Held Scale
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 10:06:52 am »
Nifty approach, tho my hives are too high off the ground... How do you account for the pressure of your foot? DOes the weight reach an equilibrium as you press down?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 05:35:28 pm »
If you make the fulcrum in the center of the lever then what the scale reads is the weight of the hive.  (Assumption) the assumption is that the weight is equal on each side which it probably isn't.  So if you want a more accurate reading then do both sides and divide each reading in 1/2 and add them together.  It doesn't matter how high the hives are you will just need a spacer maybe 2X4 stick cut to the right height to reach the hive.  Watch the scale.  It will continue to rise until the hive lifts off what is supporting it then it will go no higher.  Try it it is easy to do.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 02:11:49 am »
If you make the fulcrum in the center of the lever then what the scale reads is the weight of the hive.  (Assumption) the assumption is that the weight is equal on each side which it probably isn't.  So if you want a more accurate reading then do both sides and divide each reading in 1/2 and add them together.  It doesn't matter how high the hives are you will just need a spacer maybe 2X4 stick cut to the right height to reach the hive.  Watch the scale.  It will continue to rise until the hive lifts off what is supporting it then it will go no higher.  Try it it is easy to do.

Thanks Ace
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 11:52:11 pm »
So the hive has to come completely 'off the ground' as it were, rather than just lifting the front (or back) end? Sorry if I'm being dense...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 08:07:42 am »
So the hive has to come completely 'off the ground' as it were, rather than just lifting the front (or back) end? Sorry if I'm being dense...
Absolutely not.  Don't even try that.  You lift one side at a time and only a smidgen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 12:46:39 am »
Got it - thanks!