Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Permanent robbing screens  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• New Bee
Permanent robbing screens
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:53:13 am »
Hi guys, I have a question about robbing screens.

I suspect I have an ongoing issue with robbing. My entrances are reduced to 8cm, but I do occasionally observe what I suspect is robbing - mostly fighting at the entrance and commotion usually in the mornings. It's getting a bit cold now for an inspection but am planning one on the next warmish calm day.

Is leaving a robbing screen permanently in place a good idea? My theory is that persistent robbers will eventually work it out. I read about the Vicks Vaporub. Is this an efficient solution for robbing?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Permanent robbing screens
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 07:40:51 pm »
There is no real reason that you cannot leave robbing screens on all of the time. Your bees will quickly adapt to the screens. The robbers are trying to enter the hive based on scent. If they cannot get in they get tired of trying and go somewhere else. Occasionally bees will get around the screens but usually their numbers are too few that the guard bees are able to keep them under control.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 08:33:49 pm »
As Jim said, it's fine to use them year round. Remember, foragers only live a few weeks. If one finds the way in, she won't be around long enough to do any damage.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hillbilly

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 09:22:11 pm »
Thanks guys. I did have a piece of screen in front of my entrance across the hive, stapled at the top to the brood box, and at the bottom to the landing board. Entrance reduced to about 3 inches, and the robbers still made a feast.

This morning a found a few dead bees under the hive and a frenzy in front. Robbing still going on so now I placed a a towel on the hive and see how it goes. I can smell honey around this hive, I think they did a fair bit of damage already.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:52:05 pm »
I like to lock them in during the busiest frenzy and move them 10 K. or more. Turn them out and wait 2 weeks. The robbers take up with the hive and strengthen it and forget their old home in about a week.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything