Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarms  (Read 3708 times)

Offline wd

• Field Bee
swarms
« on: April 28, 2019, 04:24:15 pm »
I noticed a small swarm today with out any means of capture. I'm passing through. thought I'd take a moment to mention it here, if anyone happened to be in the area or nearby and interested.

they just took off as I was typing this. they were at http://nyackshell.com in a dirt parking area behind the shell station off to the right on the east side of the dirt lot towards the back.. can't post a pic.. too big

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Re: swarms
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:56:05 pm »
I'll try to post a pic of this way

http://imgur.com/sGio7xy

who knows where they went I wonder if they're close by and if they'll be more in the area?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:34 pm »
I'll try to post a pic of this way

http://imgur.com/sGio7xy

who knows where they went I wonder if they're close by and if they'll be more in the area?

WD, to bad you didn't have a printing paper box handy, they work well for emergency swarm capture boxes. Simply stab several holes in the top and sides for ventilation so the bees wont overheat on the way home. I keep one in my vehicle all the time for such opportunities,  one of those folding ladders would be nice too but i don't have one.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 03:53:55 am »
I'm not in the position to do much, I was passing through, stopped there to get some sleep. shortly after I woke up the swarm said hello.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 05:23:30 pm by wd »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 08:00:03 pm »
I'm not in the position to do much, I was passing through, stopped there to get some sleep. shortly after I woke up the swarm said hello.

I would have liked to have had them. To far away.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 10:19:04 pm »
WD,
Please update your location.  The US has numerous climates with very different bee needs.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 05:11:17 am »
location updated. but, I don't think that'll be of much help. I travel around the country. in regards to this swarm,  they were at the http://nyackshell.com in Emigrant Gap, Ca off of I-80 in between Sacramento, Ca and Truckee, Ca

Next week I might be in Missouri and or bordering states,  then head back or some where else. in the event I do cross paths with a swarm I'll post the location . I should have been more clear on the location in the opening post.

I suppose, if I have a little time to start a capture, I could leave the box behind for someone to pick up a little later IF it all works out.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 08:28:39 am »
WD,
Thanks.
That would bee awesome. If you haven?t seen it yet, 217 people have read this thread. Most of them are not registered guests but they could still find your swarm box. If nothing else, if the bees cannot find a proper home, you may save them by providing one.
Bee sure to put it in a shaded area if it is just a cardboard box.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin