Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can someone please help me identify these black bees?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline rockink

• House Bee
Can someone please help me identify these black bees?
« on: April 07, 2020, 06:35:36 pm »
Can someone please help me identify these black bees? They look very similar to my honey bees but are going in and out of a hole in the cedar siding.. I blocked the hole in the picture with some tape and it appears to be only 2 bees that were using the hole. The same goes for a similar location out front of my house..

I live in central Missouri.

Thanks,
Ken

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Can someone please help me identify these black bees?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 06:52:34 pm »
I'm almost certain they are mason bees, probably a species of Osmia.  Go unblock the holes and let them back into their nests.  They do not chew on/eat wood nor do they make wax, and they are doing no damage.  They are solitary bees that nest only in preexisting holes.  I have similar bees nesting in the stonework on my house, and I put up nesting tubes for them to try and draw them in.         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 11:38:16 pm »
I was going to say carpenter bee but they have more of a yellow thorax so I agree with Member
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:28:00 am »
Thank you! After googling Mason Bee the do look exactly like the picture i have. I really appreciate the help as I was going to spray and caulk these holes!

Thanks,
Ken

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:30:13 am »
Thank you! After googling Mason Bee the do look exactly like the picture i have. I really appreciate the help as I was going to spray and caulk these holes!

Thanks,
Ken

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Oh no!  Thank you so much for not caulking the holes!  They are really great bees.  They are incredibly docile and they pollinate some plants even better than honey bees. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 06:37:11 pm »
Ms. Member, the Mason bee has a happy home since you took the time to post the correct answer.  After all things considered; that is the purpose of this forum.  To educate newbies, yes of course, but the bottom line is saving the bees.  Even a single lil ol mason bee, that Rock spared.  Both, Member and Rock, give yourself a pat on the back for caring about a single bee.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 07:03:42 pm »
Ms. Member, the Mason bee has a happy home since you took the time to post the correct answer.  After all things considered; that is the purpose of this forum.  To educate newbies, yes of course, but the bottom line is saving the bees.  Even a single lil ol mason bee, that Rock spared.  Both, Member and Rock, give yourself a pat on the back for caring about a single bee.
Blessings
Thanks Van.  I absolutely agree.  When people try to save the bees, they often only think about honey bees, but the native bees need help too, even more so than the honey bees.   

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 01:35:14 pm »
Absolutely! Thank you both.. I love my bees and knew I could find what I needed here!

Thanks,
Ken

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 05:37:24 pm »
since you have them, you may want to look into putting up a mason bee house.  They will keep producing and you'll have more next year.  We fill about one MB house a year.  It might be too late this year as they don't stay out too long, but if you can find one it wouldn't hurt to put it up.  If not this year, find one for next year.  Put it close to where they are already nesting.

If my husband keeps expanding his, he'll have the back of the house covered with mason bee homes in a few years!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.