Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to split, Australia  (Read 4469 times)

Offline johnnyb223

• Brood
When to split, Australia
« on: August 23, 2020, 06:04:00 am »
Hi. I have a double box of just brood which was quite strong considering the drought in northern NSW. 2 days ago I moved my hive to a friends place that is about 1km away from around 200 acres of flowing canola. My question is although it is cold at the moment should I look at splitting my hive? considering there is so much pollen and nectar on hand and will be for at least another month. And if so what would be the best way to go about splitting it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. John B

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: When to split, Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 08:02:12 pm »
Welcome to BeeMaster.
Hopefully someone close to you will bee able to provide a local answer.
In general you do not want to start grafting queens until your drones are developing Int their cells, in large numbers, to the the point that their eyes are purple. Here that is Usually February 14. That means you do not want to start splits before this dates because that is when they start making queen cells. If your climate is similar to that of northern Florida, being 6 months behind us, that would make this the correct time for you.
Hope this helps.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: When to split, Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:21:52 pm »
welcome  :happy:

anything