Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When honey ferments  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Alfred001

• Brood
When honey ferments
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »
Someone told me that the way you can tell whether honey was pasturised is to try and ferment it, sopposedly, pasturized honey won't ferment (is this true?).

So I put a bit of honey in a bottle, poured some cooled off boiled water and closed the bottle. Now after a few days a bounch of bubbles have appeared and these small green lumps that look like pieces of gauze rolled up into balls.

Does this mean it has fermented?

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Re: When honey ferments
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 08:17:13 pm »
sounds like mold to me

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:36:48 pm »
Why wouldn't pasteurized honey ferment? It is still mostly sugar.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:01 pm »
I think by heating honey you kill any yeast spores (if my memory serves me).  Add water and some spores of yeast guess what you will get?

That said my question would be, will honey under 18 % water content ferment if not heated and if not why not?
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:21:59 pm »
The yeast (and many bacteria for that matter) are aerobic...they need the water to survive.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 11:32:15 pm »
aerobic. means they need air or o2 to survive

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 11:34:48 pm »

That said my question would be, will honey under 18 % water content ferment if not heated and if not why not?

yes and no....

No because as long as the honey is not crystallized and is consistent, then it won't ferment.

Yes because it if it crystallizes and the crystals fall to the bottom and build up, then the top will be higher water than the lower, and if the top goes over 18...well...then it could. 

my honey always crystallizes solid top to bottom like creamed honey, so this hasn't been an issue for me.
Rick

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »
Sorry slacker...my bad. Meant to say anaerobic.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:44:54 am »
here is my contention with this, we know that honey will absorb water from the air, and air is full of all kinds of spores for all different types of yeast, so with this in mind just opening a jar of honey , in my opinion, can lead to fermentation with in the jar.   "is the cat dead or alive", some of you will know what that means

Offline Alfred001

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 02:45:26 pm »
So pasturized honey ferments, too?

Is there any other way I can tell whether the honey I have has been pasturized?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »
Yes, fermented honey will ferment.   Some people heat treat the honey before using it.   

The only was I know if it has been heated is to ask the beek.