Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 51175 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #300 on: September 09, 2023, 09:22:47 pm »
They don't....nowhere in UK has SHB...currently.

Thumbs Up Nigel. I am glad to hear this..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #302 on: September 11, 2023, 01:37:45 am »
"The Bush Beeman" had a few things to say about Varroa Destructor a day or two ago. I would have liked to posted the clip here, but due to language I had to restrain from it. 

Phillip

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 06:14:34 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Biggles

• New Bee
« Reply #304 on: September 20, 2023, 05:39:37 am »
So here we are.  Eradication negated by commercial interests.  Management now means no more compensation for those affected.  We have to suck it up.  Will there be an enquiry into all of this?  Probably not, as those responsible justify their run for cover.  As usual, unlike Allan Joyce of Qantas, those responsible for the failure will have their responses already written. Not me! blame something or some-one else.   Now, what of the fire ant?  More of the same methinks.  An  indictment of government and their servants.  To all beekeepers,I am sorry for your loss.  A sad representation on the incapacity of statutory authorities.

Offline Biggles

• New Bee
« Reply #305 on: September 20, 2023, 05:50:32 am »
I did forget.  A big shout out to all the volunteers who have assisted in good faith.  Only to be dishonoured by authorities and the commercial dollar.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2023, 06:01:01 am »
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/emergencies/biosecurity/current-situation/varroa-mite-emergency-response

NSW
Department of
Primary Industries

Varroa mite emergency response

ALERT
As of 19 September 2023, the National Management Group (NMG) as peak decision body for the National Varroa mite Emergency Response have reached a decision to shift the focus of the response from eradication to transitioning to management of Varroa Mite.

This transition to the new focus will take time and we will continue to update the information on these pages as the plan progresses. A new Varroa mite Emergency Order is in place.

We value the sacrifice of every beekeeper and thank everyone for their cooperation during the Varroa mite response and this evolving situation.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2023, 06:09:29 am »
New Map

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2023, 10:57:06 am »
I noticed in the new map above as compared to the most recent map, posted in reply 296 a week ago, showing scattered outbreaks in several wide areas of NSW, none of the newer areas are shown to be in the 'management areas' but are hidden, or blended into the suppression zones. What is the definition, or the difference in the attention given to the Management zones and the Suppression zones?

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2023, 06:08:51 pm »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2023-09-21/varroa-mite-management-strategy-beekeeper-cost-food-prices/102880084

I have it from a very reliable source that a pallet of Apiguard is on a flight to Australia right now..

Varroa will chage beekeeping for ever here.

I'm concerned that beekeepers with one or two FLOW hives will hardly  do their checks. The supers on FLOW hives are very heavy and the product was promoted as the easy way to get to honey.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2023, 08:06:03 pm »
So here we are.  Eradication negated by commercial interests.  Management now means no more compensation for those affected.  We have to suck it up.  Will there be an enquiry into all of this?  Probably not, as those responsible justify their run for cover.  As usual, unlike Allan Joyce of Qantas, those responsible for the failure will have their responses already written. Not me! blame something or some-one else.   Now, what of the fire ant?  More of the same methinks.  An  indictment of government and their servants.  To all beekeepers,I am sorry for your loss.  A sad representation on the incapacity of statutory authorities.

+1

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2023, 09:46:53 pm »
I did forget.  A big shout out to all the volunteers who have assisted in good faith.  Only to be dishonoured by authorities and the commercial dollar.

Indeed!
And the beekeepers who did the right thing.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2023, 09:54:48 pm »

As soon as I read that a few beekeepers had thousands of hives in Almonds and they had to be moved, I knew " game over".
I would not be surprised if most of the large beekeepers will swich to pollination.
Taking supers off to add strips is too much like hard work.
Using a vapouriser is probably the easiest means to control varroa id honey is not harvested.

Most of the crops here in Qld  have been pollinated by feral hives. If they are gone - a matter of a few years - pollination services will become rather profitable

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #313 on: September 21, 2023, 12:12:10 pm »

As soon as I read that a few beekeepers had thousands of hives in Almonds and they had to be moved, I knew " game over".
I would not be surprised if most of the large beekeepers will swich to pollination.
Taking supers off to add strips is too much like hard work.
Using a vapouriser is probably the easiest means to control varroa id honey is not harvested.

Most of the crops here in Qld  have been pollinated by feral hives. If they are gone - a matter of a few years - pollination services will become rather profitable

Unfortunately we have been dealing with Varroa Destructor here in America for quite some time now. There is some VERY GOOD information here at Beemaster on the subject, which covers 'every aspect of Varroa' in one fashion or another, by top beekeepers. Great discussions along with quotes, links, and videos etc., which are invaluable shared knowledge in my opinion... Check out the archives for more..

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #315 on: October 09, 2023, 01:19:41 am »
Thanks for the report Max. I am sorry to hear of the many folks hanging up their Veils. Varroa is a pest but not the end of beekeeping. The Small HIve Beetle is moreso a pest to me personally, in my location. It may take more effort to keep hives healthy but there are good organic methods of helping our bees win in this fight for those who do not like the idea of using flat out chemicals..  Oxlic comes to mind as well as formic, both organic.

It will take the effort of 'education', but not so complicated in my opinion... May I encourage you all to keep the smile, keep the smoker lit, and keep collecting that honey!!

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #316 on: October 09, 2023, 06:15:28 am »
My number one is pesticides.  Number two is SHB.  Number three is winter.  Varroa are not on my radar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #317 on: October 09, 2023, 07:55:17 am »
You get snow, Michael!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #318 on: October 09, 2023, 08:44:07 am »
Snow is spring and fall and winter.  Snow is no problem at all.  Winter is -27 F (-33 C) or in Western Nebraska -40 (F and C).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2023, 09:31:05 am »
Mr Bush has been successful in keeping bees without treatment for years for this I applaud him. So has cao which I also applaud while recognizing many more have not realized this success and the reasons are wide, long, and also debatable...  I really hope this topic "Varroa detected in Australia" does not turn into a treatment vs non treatment debate. There are good points made for both sides of the equation; While recognizing good wholesome discussion is a win for all... I am posting a link from Beemaster, started by "Salvo" just this past June, where we had such; a respectful 4 page discussion of Varroa packed with information, facts as well as  theories concerning varroa in treating, non-treating, heavy hitters in beekeeping, different approaches and strategies concerning Varroa Destructor, links to top researchers for dealing with varroa by treatment, links concerning varroa by the quest and ongoing search for a 'truly varroa resistant bee' as well, and more... It is my hope that the information posted in "Beemaster Forums" in the following link 'one of many' will be of aid to our friends in Australia...

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=56499.msg517304#msg517304