Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 51754 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2023, 08:36:11 am »
The map has not changed:
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/emergencies/biosecurity/current-situation/varroa-mite-emergency-response

The two areas outside the main area have been explained in the past. You do hear some rumours...

We are in winter and it is very unlikely that there will be any swarms.

In my area we have broood all year round but in the main area affected i would expect that most of the hives are broodless for a couple of months.
This is definitely a positive

Unfortunately on this Official Site the map has not changed, on another sites it has. See the map on reply #270. Look closely at 'Sydney', the placement and the shape of the red (cloud in comparison to the outdated map that the Official Site which continues to show no change.  The newer map shows it is descending and much closer to Sydney...  Not only that, look closely at the original map posted here some time ago as this was unfolding, and again on reply #265.. I do not see the spread of varroa doing anything but increasing... Even though I am still optimistic, I can not deny the reality of what I am seeing, while I question the lack of updates on the Official Site... (Which 'use' to be a regular occurance.)
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2023, 10:46:33 pm »
Thank you for the report Skeggley...

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #284 on: July 13, 2023, 10:41:29 pm »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2023, 09:07:53 am »
"Beekeepers question success of varroa mite eradication response as parasite continues to spread"https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-31/beekeepers-nsw-hunter-question-success-varroa-mite-response/102659386

Take a look at the Map featured in Max2' reply#16 back in June of 2022, and now the Map in the article above; Just a year later in spite of the gallant fight in the effort to stop this dread..

I wish Australia the best of luck.  But eradication has been tried everywhere Varroa showed up and it has never worked.  It only takes one Varroa to spread eventually to everywhere.  They don't even need two...

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2023, 06:39:24 pm »
With Varooa spreading to yet another new site i wonder if the game is lost?

kempsey is a major beekeeping center and I read that some people have moved hives from there to the Almonds....

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2023, 11:52:40 pm »
With Varooa spreading to yet another new site i wonder if the game is lost?

kempsey is a major beekeeping center and I read that some people have moved hives from there to the Almonds....

Not looking hopeful Max. We knew it would be a hard fight, but you Australians have put up a good one!

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2023, 12:12:59 am »
Latest map updated August 18, 2023

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #292 on: August 29, 2023, 09:02:29 am »
The latest Varroa Infestation Map:

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #293 on: August 30, 2023, 02:34:53 am »
We in Australia are still hoping for plan A to work.
As they say, we have ONE go at this. There is no second.
Fingers crossed for all Aussie beekeepers.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2023, 10:12:42 am »
Latest map..

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2023, 06:11:08 am »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2023-09-06/beekeepers-fear-wa-not-ready-for-varroa-mite-outbreak/102815442

No we're not, we're not even ready for SHB.

Pretty sure commercial beeks have thwarted the eradication of what I suspect they started and have heard QLD bees in Vic are returning for pollenation so management sadly appears to be the way forward.
Here in the west when bees are transported north they cannot return due to SHB and this has kept the SW free and this is because the Ag Dept wears the pants and have their priorities correct.(In this instance anyway.)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #298 on: September 08, 2023, 11:07:51 am »
Skeggley that is interesting. There are not many places that can say are 'both' Varroa Destructor and Small Hive Beetle free. Must be nice...  :grin:
Last I heard The Isle of Man is still Varroa free, I don't know if they have SHB

Phillip

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2023, 01:50:04 pm »
They don't....nowhere in UK has SHB...currently.