BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

hive beetle control opinions, please

(1/9) > >>

animal:
Everything looks good in the hive as far as I can tell and no odd smells, slimy stuff, or larvae..
The bee population has been growing steadily and they seem to be building comb well.
Transferred 5 full frames from a nuc a couple of days ago into a 10 frame box. The bees didn't want to come off of the nuc lid or out of the box, so I set the nuc on top of the 10 frame box upside down with its cover next to it.
Today, I took those off to put the correct covers on..
There was a small cluster of bees on top of the frames in the corner. A beetle hauled butt out of the cluster onto the outside of the hive and I squished it before I could get a good look.
Stuck in the bottom of the nuc was a dead one. Looked it up and confirmed it to be SHB. These look completely black to me , though.

Anyway, I was thinking of ordering some of those oil traps to go on top between the frames .. and trying swiffer sheets in the corners since I can get them now.
would rather not use poison unless I have to ..

What do you guys think?

edit: sorry, should have put this in pest control ..

animal:
Oh .. When I put them in the bigger box, I put the frames in the same order but spaced them with the new empty frames. (foundation-less ... frames have 45 degree edge cut on top and bottom .. some started off with comb wired into them)
Is that correct?

Ben Framed:
The thing about SHB; they can invade and take over quickly.. From having just a few and boom! I have been observing hives in the late evening just before dark and could not believe the numbers coming into a particular hive. 'Thankfully' Paus and 'Beemaster2' introduced me to hive bottom 'oil trays'. This pretty much takes care of them has been my experience, and without poisons .. I had lost hives to them before I tried this..

Phillip

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: animal on July 03, 2023, 04:10:47 pm ---Transferred 5 full frames from a nuc a couple of days ago into a 10 frame box. The bees didn't want to come off of the nuc lid or out of the box, so I set the nuc on top of the 10 frame box upside down with its cover next to it.

--- End quote ---
Pro tip: Bees can be shaken off equipment if you just give it a stiff shake.  Once you dislodge their little hooks off the wall, they are entirely pourable.  You could also use a bee brush if you have one, although I find they get more aggravated being brushed than just shaken. 

--- Quote from: animal on July 03, 2023, 04:10:47 pm ---Anyway, I was thinking of ordering some of those oil traps to go on top between the frames .. and trying swiffer sheets in the corners since I can get them now.
would rather not use poison unless I have to ..

--- End quote ---
Poison is definitely not necessary, and it would be difficult to find something that you could feel good wouldn't hurt the bees too, since both beetles and bees are insects.  I use Swiffer sheets with good results personally, but I don't have anywhere near the beetle trouble those south or down (in elevation) of me do.  The oil tray is quite popular with folks who live in real beetle country. 

Ben Framed:

--- Quote ---Pro tip: Bees can be shaken off equipment if you just give it a stiff shake.  Once you dislodge their little hooks off the wall, they are entirely pourable.  You could also use a bee brush if you have one, although I find they get more aggravated being brushed than just shaken.
--- End quote ---

Good tip Reagan, another option is you can simply give the top, held in the right position, a bang against the top box and they go in instantly. I learned this from Tim Durham. 'The Walls Bee Man'..

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version