BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Gentle Bees, Beesuits Veils and Jackets

<< < (2/6) > >>

Michael Bush:
I have several times received dozens of stings in a second.  Things can go bad quickly and unpredictably.  One time I stepped in a hole in the beeyard (gopher?) and I dropped a brood box.  It disintegrated.  10,000 or more bees in the air in less than a second.  Luckily I had some protection on.  One time I was brushing bees into a box that had clustered on the stump of the tree they lived in which had snapped off in a storm.  I had a jacket on, but it was plastered to my back with sweat and I got 20 or more stings on my back in about a half a second.  Luckily I had a veil.  I once brushed a swarm off at the top of a 20 ft ladder and it went down the back of my shirt.  Funny how a swarm swings before it lets go...  Again 20 or more stings in just a second.  You're not just wearing protective equipment for the predictable things...

AustinB:
I suit up based on what I plan to do. Removals I will start with a jacket and veil, if they are fairly calm I will often just use a veil. If I'm getting down into brood nests and making manipulations I will also wear my jacket and probably a pair of jeans. If it's just weekly inspections during the spring and summer flows, I'm usually in shorts and a veil, and sometimes a t-shirt. You will likely never see me without a veil, I use my eyes for too many other important things.

Ben Framed:
"I use my eyes for too many other important things."

I share your concern Austin. Though many times I do not wear the veil but when the thought hits me. I will use it. lol TheHoneyPump told us some time back of being stung in the eyeball itself and described the Kaleidoscope effect. Fortunately for him, his associate removed the stinger promptly.

From there I searched and found a video of a bee stinger removal which was embedded in an eyeball and apparently had been there for a while. Not a pretty sight...

Phillip

2Sox:

--- Quote from: AustinB on January 30, 2023, 10:21:07 am ---I suit up based on what I plan to do. Removals I will start with a jacket and veil, if they are fairly calm I will often just use a veil. If I'm getting down into brood nests and making manipulations I will also wear my jacket and probably a pair of jeans. If it's just weekly inspections during the spring and summer flows, I'm usually in shorts and a veil, and sometimes a t-shirt. You will likely never see me without a veil, I use my eyes for too many other important things.

--- End quote ---

Same here. But I ALWAYS wear a veil - without exception.  Thick, 8mil nitrile gloves, mostly to keep my hands clean.  This thickness will prevent stings in general - but not when you pick something up with a bee on it.  T-shirt in summer. ALWAYS long pants.

Cutouts: I start with a full bee jacket.  May end up with just a veil. Helpers are always suited with jackets. Or I provide a veil with instructions to wear long shirts and pants.

Michael Bush:
If you've never experienced it yet, just wait until you have a bee crawl into your ear.  You'll be thinking about that every time you don't wear a veil...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version