Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: For the Science Minded!  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: For the Science Minded!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 09:58:12 pm »
Interesting!  So this is showing the creation of what's called a supercritical fluid.  When pushed to a pressure and temperature beyond its normal boundaries, substances will display properties of both liquids and gasses simultaneously, and often the substance will have properties very different from its normal in-phase states.  For example supercritical water is a bad solvent.  Supercritical liquids are used in manufacturing processes including decaffeination of coffee and certain dyeing processes.  They are also found in nature in the atmospheres of gas giant planets and Venus.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 10:52:21 pm »
pressure and temperature beyond its normal , substances will display properties of both liquids and gasses simultaneously, and often the substance will have properties very different from its normal in-phase states.

Exactly! In this case we had the pleasure of 'three' observed forms. Starting off with Dry Ice, Co2, in extreme below freezing temperatures will give us the frozen (dry ice) state. Then, when heated in a pressure container, to a certain temperature, the state of the substance changes to a liquid form. Moving forward, heated to a higher heat, in the same pressure chamber, gives us both liquids and gasses simultaneously. Of course when re-chilled, in the same pressure chamber without relief, the substance will once again display a liquid form which looks like water!  At least that is my take from the experiment?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 11:21:30 am »
Exactly! In this case we had the pleasure of 'three' observed forms. Starting off with Dry Ice, Co2, in extreme below freezing temperatures will give us the frozen (dry ice) state. Then, when heated in a pressure container, to a certain temperature, the state of the substance changes to a liquid form. Moving forward, heated to a higher heat, in the same pressure chamber, gives us both liquids and gasses simultaneously. Of course when re-chilled, in the same pressure chamber without relief, the substance will once again display a liquid form which looks like water! At least that is my take from the experiment?

Phillip
That's what I got out of it.  It's simple, but it's one of those things that you don't have the opportunity to see often in your day to day life.  Really incredible!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 11:34:57 am »

That's what I got out of it.  It's simple, but it's one of those things that you don't have the opportunity to see often in your day to day life.  Really incredible!

I agree.  :grin:

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 09:18:54 am »
Exactly! In this case we had the pleasure of 'three' observed forms. Starting off with Dry Ice, Co2, in extreme below freezing temperatures will give us the frozen (dry ice) state. Then, when heated in a pressure container, to a certain temperature, the state of the substance changes to a liquid form. Moving forward, heated to a higher heat, in the same pressure chamber, gives us both liquids and gasses simultaneously. Of course when re-chilled, in the same pressure chamber without relief, the substance will once again display a liquid form which looks like water! At least that is my take from the experiment?

Phillip

Reagan I wonder while in the liquid state, if the pressure of the container was released, what would be the (immediate) result? Without the pressure, would the liquid Co2 imminently turn into an invisible gas, being released into the atmosphere?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 09:42:50 am by Ben Framed »

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 11:55:49 am »
Reagan I wonder while in the liquid state, if the pressure of the container was released, what would be the (immediate) result? Without the pressure, would the liquid Co2 imminently turn into an invisible gas, being released into the atmosphere?
It would depend on the temperature.  Without the added pressure, CO2 exists as a solid (dry ice) or a gas.  If you released the pressure by simply opening the chamber, the liquid would probably quickly evaporate.  Here is the phase diagram for CO2, showing what phase it is in for a given pressure and temperature. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 02:50:36 pm »
Thanks Reagan, as a child I was always amazed with dry ice...  :grin:

Phillip

Offline khalilistudios

• Brood
    • https://beemaster.ca
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 11:59:49 pm »
Haven?t seen the video yet, but looks like a liquid. I?ll update in a year if I change my GRIND.

Yours truly,
A True Lee.

:cool: :oops:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 09:04:31 am »
Lee,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin