BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

A question about controlling ANTS

<< < (2/12) > >>

Beeboy01:
Can't see how taping the seams would help with screened bottom boards and not opening the hives means you can't monitor them properly. Even if the seams are totally sealed and the hive has a solid bottom board the ants will still get in through the entrance.
  A poison ant bait would be the most effective way to stop them. Lightly spread it on the ground along the back of the hives, maybe a foot or two out. If you can find the main ant nest then treat that with a poison bait instead of around the hives. Like I said before, I would rather not use any poison in my bee yard but I've found the hard way sometimes it is the only way to save the hives from attack. Luck with it and let us know what happens.

CoolBees:

--- Quote from: Acebird on January 16, 2019, 09:52:04 am ---Stop opening the hive and duct tape the seams when you do.  Don't drop and hive debris on the ground.

--- End quote ---

That wouldn't solve anything I'm afraid.

CoolBees:
Thank you to everyone who responded.

So - its sounds like everyone is using chemicals  (of some type) to fight off the ants when they become a problem.

If there are any non-chemical solutions, I'd love to hear about them.

SiWolKe:
You can use a vaccuum cleaner every day o them...but beware they come out again.
 :wink:
 Perhaps use a blowtorch? But don?t burn your hives.

CoolBees:

--- Quote from: SiWolKe on January 16, 2019, 01:23:06 pm ---You can use a vaccuum cleaner every day o them...but beware they come out again.
 :wink:
 Perhaps use a blowtorch? But don?t burn your hives.

--- End quote ---

:happy:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version