BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Cuban beekeeping

(1/8) > >>

Dallasbeek:
Supposedly 100% organic and allegedly loss-free beekeeping.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/09/organic-honey-is-a-sweet-success-for-cuba-as-other-bee-populations-suffer

tjc1:
Wow - that's really interesting. Kind of an island-scale experimental trial of organic beekeeping, with what appears to be great results. An island oasis for bees.

BeeMaster2:
Thanks Dallas,
I didn't know that they were producing large quantities of honey.
Jim

Acebird:

--- Quote from: tjc1 on December 05, 2016, 08:57:53 pm ---Kind of an island-scale experimental trial of organic beekeeping, with what appears to be great results.

--- End quote ---

The big picture ... Europe using OA for 50 years and still battling mites.  Cuba not so much.  Cuba practicing organic farming without farm machines and not starving to death.  No limitation what so ever for using farm machines in this country but we would starve if it weren't for Monsanto.  Yeah let's build more walls so we can't learn anything.

cpekarek:
I read somewhere the Varroa Mite was introduced to Cuba in 1996. I tend to think Cuba is not doing so well by 'going organic' at least when it comes to producing food. They use 30% of their land for agriculture, 20% of their population to produce food and still import 80-85% of their food. Without fertilizer and pesticides, crop production is greatly reduced. I'm all for organic but...

According to this article, they are using pesticides in Cuba. http://www.eurochile.cl/index.php/en/news/interviews/item/la-manera-de-hacer-apicultura-hoy-no-puede-seguir-siendo-la-misma-de-hace-50-anos   "Of paramount importance is the controlled use of pesticides to prevent the negative impact on these productive ecosystems, and specially the training received by beekeepers and foresters about it, because for us that work alliance allows us to understand better the importance and how to preserve the balance of the ecosystems."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version