Poll

need help my russain queen isnt laying eggs and it my last hive

what do i do
0 (0%)
please help
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 04, 2014, 03:43:51 pm

Author Topic: my qeen isnt laying and only a couple of worker bees  (Read 9393 times)

Offline grmlin71

• Brood
my qeen isnt laying and only a couple of worker bees
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:43:51 pm »
please help some one im from ct and winter is comming :oops:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: my qeen isnt laying and only a couple of worker bees
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:59 pm »
have you tried feeding?  sometimes they will quit if there's a dearth or if they are low on stores.  how many bees in the hive?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 03:22:33 am »
uhm...uhm....can you give us a little more info? did you buy a package, or how did you get the bees, did you replace a queen, did they swarm, is the queen alive for sure, how long have you had them, what type of setup do you have, are they making comb, how much comb have they made, etc, all info is good info.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:34:25 am »
You say you only have a few workers. The queen will only lay as many eggs as the bees can cover. If she lays more, the bees will remove the eggs. One bee can cover 3 larvae. I have taken hives from only a few bees and a queen to hives that swarmed but usually in my observation hive. They did it once in a nuc but I suspect a swarm that lost their queen, moved in and boosted their numbers. Do you know someone who has a hive to steal a fame of bees and brood from? Preferably a capped frame that is about to hatch. Leave it sit in a open box, in the shade to allow the field bees to return to the original hive. This is not necessary if there is a good flow on or you move it more than 2 miles.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin