BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > COLONY COLLAPSE DISORDER - TALKS & REPORTS

Minnesota Apiary Looses 1,300+ Hives!

(1/4) > >>

Nonprophet:
Still think neonicontinoids are safe?

If authenticated, this video from a large apiary (1,300+ hives) in Minnesota is going to turn up the heat exponentially on Monsanto and the EPA relative to the effects of neonicontinoids on bees and the need to immediately ban these substances as they have recently done in Europe. Please share the video far and wide--I have no doubt that efforts will be made to remove it.....

Apiary Deaths

buzzbee:
I'd be interested to know if the field was sprayed with something before planting.And if the beekeeper knows they plant that field with neonic corn, why were his bees there? Was he looking for a bee kill? 
My understanding was the bees on almonds this year were not terrific as they suggest in tghe comments after the video.  This is more like a pesticide kill than a classic ccd case.

melliferal:
I agree with buzzbee; this certainly looks like a pesticide kill.  And, the neo-nic treated corn may indeed be the culprit.  But it is quite obviously not CCD.

Everyone needs to familiarize, or perhaps re-familiarize, themselves with the markers of CCD.  No beekeeper worth his/her water would go around mistaking AFB for a nosema infection, right?  Yet I've seen some pretty evident pesticide kills, starves, and all manner of other dead-outs called "CCD" by their respective beeks.  Don't be that guy.

danno:
I'm not buying this.   They plant treated seeds near and the effects are immediate?   First off they dont toss the seeds on the ground.   This would mean the bee's had to dig for them.   That is they would have to dig IF they had a interest in kernels of corn.   I know they always spill some but again its corn kernels.  2nd 1300 colonies in one location.   This is a loadout yard not a apiary and this time of the year in the upper midwest  these bee's are coming from somewhere.   I have no doubt its a pesticide kill but not the kind they are grabbing for.

BeeMaster2:

--- Quote from: danno on May 20, 2013, 09:05:32 am ---I'm not buying this.   They plant treated seeds near and the effects are immediate?   First off they dont toss the seeds on the ground.   This would mean the bee's had to dig for them.   That is they would have to dig IF they had a interest in kernels of corn.   I know they always spill some but again its corn kernels.  2nd 1300 colonies in one location.   This is a loadout yard not a apiary and this time of the year in the upper midwest  these bee's are coming from somewhere.   I have no doubt its a pesticide kill but not the kind they are grabbing for.

--- End quote ---

Danno,
When they treat the corn seeds the chemicals are sticky and they add corn starch to them to keep them from sticking together. If they are sticky they will not flow through the planters. While planting the planter puts out lots of neonicontinoid treated dust that ends up on every plant and flower down wind from the planted field. In this case the dust may also have been blown into the apiary also.
Remember, neonicontinoids are nerve agents, so strong they are measured in parts per billion.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version