BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Frames and Frame Assembly Videos

<< < (10/10)

Jim134:
If you'd like something a little low Tech. Which most Woodworkers can make. This is a jig I would recommend.

https://youtu.be/ULR8F5TBcqQ

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:

Acebird:

--- Quote from: Jim 134 on June 13, 2017, 08:07:40 am ---  Of all the different Jig assemblies. This is the first one that I have seen that. Works off of the outside of the frame.

--- End quote ---

Look at it again Jim, the stop blocks (gauging) are on the inside of the end bars.  That was not a issue.  The issue was the rabbit in both the top and the bottom of the end bars was not centered the same between lots.  For hand assembly this doesn't matter but when you automate something you have to control the gauging.  In other words every lot must be the same and there is no reason it can't be.  It doesn't cost the supplier any more to make it the same it is just that it doesn't matter to hand assemble so they don't bother.
A large manufacture of frames could take this concept and totally automate it if they had the volume to support the cost of automation.
All I did is cobble up a prototype out of wood.  The concept is sound.

tycrnp:
All very helpful videos.  Thanks!

little john:

--- Quote from: Jim 134 on June 13, 2017, 08:16:53 am ---If you'd like something a little low Tech. Which most Woodworkers can make. This is a jig I would recommend.
--- End quote ---
Yes, it's a brilliantly simple method.  I made that jig woodwork in two pieces: one being a side and two ends; the other being just one side.  Held together with shock-cord as per video. If you make the ends very slightly under-size, then you can insert shims to cater for (pretty-much unavoidable) variations between manufacturers.  Then, removing those shims makes completed frame extraction so much easier.

A great method.
LJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version