Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flooding in Nebraska, M. Bush you Ok?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Flooding in Nebraska, M. Bush you Ok?
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:33:17 pm »
I started to send a private message, however M. Bush is one we ALL appreciate and have benefited from his advice so in this case, I thought it appropriate to send as a New Topic.  Jim, do not hesitate to move this thread if you deem so.

So Mr. Bush, please let us know you are afloat, no water damage to family or hives.
Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Flooding in Nebraska, M. Bush you Ok?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:44:06 am »
I was wondering the same?
Neill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 07:37:34 am »
Michael took a video of his creek flooding on his creek. It was at 26 feet above normal on Thursday when he left. It is normally 5 feet wide and in the picture it was, I think, 65 feet wide and at the top of the bank. He was able to watch a flood chart of it while he was here and it was going down. There is a bridge crossing it on one side of his property and it was just a foot or so below it.
Maybe Michael can post that video and a video showing what it looks like when the flooding subsides.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 01:02:54 pm »
http://bushfarms.com/Flood2019.htm

Just flooded around the edge of the pasture.  Some were not so lucky.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 04:36:32 pm »
Michael,
When the water recedes to normal levels would you please post pictures of what it looks like.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:29:41 pm »
That creek looks more like a lake.  Glad to here Bush and animals faired well.  Sympathy to those who were on lower ground.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:31:12 pm »
That creek looks more like a lake.  Glad to here Bush and animals faired well.  Sympathy to those who were on lower ground.
Van

Mr Bush, I am glad that you fared well.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:49:40 pm »
good to hear you avoided the worst of it
hope your neighbor fare as well

Dave

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 06:36:07 pm »
Good news, Michael :smile:
Neill

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 12:12:33 pm »
The creek was at 27 feet. It's now down to 9 feet. Here are some videos and pictures of the creek at 27 feet and I now have added pictures and a video of it at 9 feet:
http://bushfarms.com/Flood2019.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 01:00:20 pm »
What a difference, I see a real creek, no more a lake, and the bridge has a bottom to it. Lol

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 02:56:50 pm »
Michael, glad you're ok.
Here in N.C. 9' we call that a river in La. they call it a bayou :cheesy:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 03:17:31 pm »
Usually, except right after a rain, the creek is about 4 to 5 feet.  But 9 feet is common after a rain.  Back in Western Nebraska, the Platte river is typically not deep enough to canoe in...  "A mile wide and an inch deep, too thin to plow, too thick to drink"  This is often attributed to about three different western rivers, and the North Platte is one of them as is the South Platte and the Powder.  It's probably been stolen by others I don't  know of as well.
-------------------

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 04:08:31 pm »
A mile wide and 1" deep and 9' after rain WOW. Is there any gold in them there hills :cheesy:

anything