Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Most painful sting  (Read 7320 times)

Offline JimW

• New Bee
Most painful sting
« on: August 18, 2019, 01:17:24 am »
Hi,
Just for a bit of fun, what?s the most painful place you?ve been stung?

I just opened my hive for my first (almost) spring inspection. Bees everywhere and lid full of burr comb.

While cleaning up and moving boxes around/adding a super to give them some room, one of the buggars stung me in the nose through the mesh.

Apart from looking like Steve Martin in Roxanne, it bloody hurts!!

Anyone else got a story?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:03:34 am by sawdstmakr »

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
Re: Most painful sting
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:40:07 am »
Ha ha

Hi Jim

Funny...the last sting i got was the same. Right on the tip of the nose. Tears pouring down my face!

The worst i reckon i had was on top of my head!

Problem with the top of the head is locating the stinger...lucky my 8yo was home to pluck it out for me!

Good to hear your girls are busy!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 03:33:00 am »
Well Sir, your results match mine - right on the tip of the nose! Most painful one I've had. Hurt for a couple of days. Popped the lid on what should have been a peaceful hive - whoops!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 07:04:14 am »
The nose is only an introduction to pain and tears. Wait until you get one in the tear duct at the outer edge of your eye. Then you will know pain and tears. It is twice as bad as getting one under your shorts if you are male.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:09:27 am by iddee »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 08:09:55 am »
JimW,
Notice that I edited your text.
Using cus words is forbidden by the Bylaws. This is a family friendly site. Just because you misspell the cus words, that does not mean that a ten year old cannot read it. If the frsit ltteer and the lsat leettrs are crrocet msot of the ppoupltaoin can read it.
Misspelling  a word to bypass the systems word editor is also forbidden by the bylaws.
Consider this a warning.
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:00:38 am by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 08:41:04 am »
The nose is only an introduction to pain and tears. Wait until you get one in the tear duct at the outer edge of your eye. Then you will know pain and tears. It is twice as made as getting one under your shorts if you are male.

Tear duct...now that sounds nasty!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 01:09:22 pm »
.... Wait until you get one in the tear duct at the outer edge of your eye. Then you will know pain and tears. ...

If it's all the same - I'd like to avoid that sting Iddee.

Jim - your spelling example is just too funny! :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline JimW

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 05:13:40 pm »
The funny thing is in regards to my spelling, the word I received my ?warning? over is less offensive than the one used to replace it! Neither of which would really be considered swearing in Australia.

But must respect the bylaws! 😂😂😂

Tear duct sounds absolutely horrible. Worse than the meat and potatoes, which I thought must be the worst.

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 08:30:29 pm »
Yes the swearing warning is a bit weird.
Perhaps you should have put a @#$@ trigger warning on it...
And Americans call us a nanny state.

I got stung just inside my nose when beekeeping with my 6 year old nephew and I'm proud to say I modeled appropriate use of swearing.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Most painful sting
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 02:15:24 am »
I have been stung at in on pretty much every conceivable part of my body. Most stings do not get much more attention than a mosquito bite. However, I will tell you the two worst, most painful and I am meaning unrelenting sustained pain, places that I have been stung. For considerations, I am male, and is not where you think.
#1 -  IN the nose. Imagine Up inside, just out of reach of the pinky finger nail, in the membrane, cartridge side.  Make the biggest toughest grown man cry instantly, incessantly, and suffer so for 4 days.
#2 - IN the ear canal. A close runner up.
#3 - Tip of the nipple. A distant third but highly attention getting mentionable.
... far down the list
#15 anywhere in the crotch areas.
I have not had the displeasure of the tear duct.  Closest has been into the eyeball itself. That was a real trip!  Own personal built in  kaleidoscope lit up. Was really kool.  Though very scary wrt potential for permanent nerve damage.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 08:35:43 pm »

I have lost count on the number of times that I have been stung inside my nose. I know it is over 10 times. You get an instant strong smell of bananas. Can?t help but cry, talking about the tears. 😥
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 08:09:46 am »
I had a bee in my ear once but it didn't sting me.  Still really upsetting... A sting inside the nose is about as bad as it gets... but then I've always managed to stop them when crawling up my leg at my thigh...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 07:37:37 pm »
JimW,
Using cus words is forbidden by the Bylaws. This is a family friendly site. Just because you misspell the cus words, that does not mean that a ten year old cannot read it. If the frsit ltteer and the lsat leettrs are crrocet msot of the ppoupltaoin can read it.

Ok, so what is the youngest forum member reading this post???
Don?t be shy.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 07:56:25 pm »
JimW,

Don?t be shy.

I'm 16. Curse words just fly past me I usually don't notice them. The worse place and only place I've been stung is the knee. Hurt like heck. Except the bugger didn't lose the stinger and got to live another day.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 09:15:55 pm »
I know of one 15 y/o female who comes on every day, but age has nothing to do with it. I am 74 years old and do not like reading or hearing curse words. I grew up in a time when it just wasn't done in mixed company and the teaching has stuck with me. It's too bad the younger generation has lost so respect for their fellow humans.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 10:34:28 pm »
quoting HP
''Closest has been into the eyeball itself. That was a real trip!  Own personal built in  kaleidoscope lit up. Was really kool.  Though very scary wrt potential for permanent nerve damage.''

This is my concern, catching one in the eye itself.  This is the reason that I use the veil as much as I do, even though I sometimes pitch it aside anyway. What did the professionals do to treat this situation? Was the stinger removed by professionals or did you or someone close do it before you went to a professional?  How was it removed in your situation?
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 12:56:44 am »
I know of one 15 y/o female who comes on every day, but age has nothing to do with it. I am 74 years old and do not like reading or hearing curse words. I grew up in a time when it just wasn't done in mixed company and the teaching has stuck with me. It's too bad the younger generation has lost so respect for their fellow humans.
No argument here either, old school. Unfortunately times they are a changing for better or for worse and like Xerox says it?s no biggie with our future caretakers.I?m not sure what it?s like over there but over here it?s out of control. Up in the Northern Territory they have an add campaign which is on bill boards and bumper stickers which makes me cringe and embarrassed to be honest. I?ll not state it here in respect for those that care....

My worst sting was on the pudge on my waist. I?m lucky. (No, not to have the pudge but for this to be my worst...)
I react to bee venom, not majorly just swelling and itchiness. I use an electronic tool called BiteAway, works a treat. Probably not so good on the eye area though... 😳

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Most painful sting
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 02:47:43 am »
quoting HP
''Closest has been into the eyeball itself. That was a real trip!  Own personal built in  kaleidoscope lit up. Was really kool.  Though very scary wrt potential for permanent nerve damage.''

This is my concern, catching one in the eye itself.  This is the reason that I use the veil as much as I do, even though I sometimes pitch it aside anyway. What did the professionals do to treat this situation? Was the stinger removed by professionals or did you or someone close do it before you went to a professional?  How was it removed in your situation?
Phillip

My veil for normal work around the beeyard is just an orange/amber set of form fitting safety glasses.  When the weather is overcast, the bees are particularly testy, or I am intent on doing purposeful major disruptions then I suit up. 
The eyeball sting occurred long ago, an early morning moving hives.  Jumped out of the truck, walked back to check straps and as I walked by she came rip-roaring out of the hive entrance which on the deck of the truck is near eye level.  Point blank range attack.  Grabbed hold of my eyelid and jammed me In the white of the eyeball. Lightning fast she was! 
Thankfully I was not alone.  Partner pulled out his pocket knife and scraped / picked the stinger out quickly. Treatment was compress (ice chilled cloth), benadryl, and an eyepatch for the week to keep eyesight stimulation minimal.  No problems, no complications.  It helped immensely that we were well into bee season and my normal reaction to sting and venom is less than a mosquito bite welt, if anything at all.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 08:26:11 am »
JimW,

Don?t be shy.

Skeggley,
We have no idea. At any given moment we average 15 to 20 active members that could answer your question and on average we have 400 guests reading your posts. They have not registered therefore they cannot answer your question.
Jim Altmiller

Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 08:31:28 am »
Skeggley,
Here is a snapshot of who is on BeeMaster right now and this is at 7:30 in the morning.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

anything