Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 12 hives absconded. Why?  (Read 5000 times)

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
12 hives absconded. Why?
« on: September 14, 2015, 09:13:15 pm »
 Yesterday I had 25 good hives, I worked hive lightly. Looked good. Also yesterday I caught small swarm and thought odd this time of year. This morning swarm gone box empty. This afternoon the box swarm was in on roof of rv was covered in bees. I made small video. I went to check hives to see if these were my bees, I find 13 hives empty with a few bees here and there, No dead bees. I did not know what to do. Had boxes of drawn comb to protect. No bugs yet. For now I combined with remaining hives.  Also brood. What do you think caused this? Anything I can do to keep remaining bees here? I saw some in trees that I could not get to. Very busy at that moment. They probably moved into neighbors houses. Perhaps hollow trees. Big set back. was hoping to go into spring with 20 hives.  I think I have 12 or 13.  Any suggestions appreciated. I am in south Louisiana

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: 12 hives absconded. Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:35:10 pm »
bummer man! maybe some of your neighbors will chime in here on this one. There's several folks from down your way on here. Curious to know if they've heard of the same thing happening.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:01:37 am »
You have game cams on them? ...maybe thieves?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:19:25 am »
Sorry for your losses.  :sad:
If I'm not mistaken, it sounds very similar to CCD.  Nearly empty hives with no dead bees and no obvious reason for it.  I can't offer any words of wisdom, I'll leave that to the more experienced.  Again, sorry for your loss.  :sad:

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:28:49 am »
Man, that is a huge bummer. I am so sorry. I wouldn't know what to do either, except maybe cry. Think positive and make the most of what you have left.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 12:46:46 am »
I saw bees by the thousand above. I watched them fly away.  Bees abscond but 12 or 13 hives on the same day. Environmental or something I did. I did not use smoke when I checked them and I lost some I did not open, I check twice a month unless hive has issues. I had 30 some odd hives in this yard this summer. No problem that I could detect. Love bugs were thick as hell but I doubt that could be it. I have to figure this out or it will happen again

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 02:03:57 am »
If I am not mistaken CCD usually leaves the queen and a handful of young bees behind??
   I would wonder if they got into something that they brought back to the hive, storing it in the comb? Insecticides etc....  You said no bugs, so the comb looks good with no beetle or wax moth larvae sliming it..   Something drove them out..  Heat, cold, wasps? Insecticides etc...   I have lost a couple hives when I didnt keep their entrances cleared of weeds and grass.. they apparently decided it was too hard to get in and out and left....
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 04:13:35 am »
You mention the now empty hives have drawn comb, but what else ? Do they have any stores or brood (capped or uncapped) remaining ? Very curious, very worrying. Commiserations ...

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 05:57:12 am »
You state you location in your post but add to profile for future reference  :wink: Yea that many at once odd??? How many were collected swarms?
John 3:16

Offline HillBilly2

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 06:30:24 am »
Were they honey bound by any chance?

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:30:39 am »
 Most of the hives came from spring swarms, I did few cutouts and some splits. All the hives had brood. They all had stores but not honey bound. They all have screened bottom boards and most had vented  shallow box on top. Fall flow is just starting here, no goldenrod yet.They were active and seemed like all was well. The usual few hb and a wax moth now and then. If it was wasp or bumbo bees there would have been dead bees. Hives are off the ground and most had robber screens. I will be interesting to see if the remaining hives abscond. I am going to check at day break but I have to work today. Might put a few swarm traps in the trees around yard.  .

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 09:29:33 am »
Screen bottom AND screen top sounds like way too much ventilation...no way for the bees to control airflow.

Given the info youve provided, that would be my first guess.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 10:01:38 am »
Screen bottom AND screen top sounds like way too much ventilation...no way for the bees to control airflow.

Given the info youve provided, that would be my first guess.

I agree. there is such a thing as too much ventilation, even down south where it gets HOT...

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 10:45:09 am »
Had talk with local pro bee  keeper He think virus and or varola. Bees waited for flow to leave. Their best chance. I think I condemned my other hives by combining comb and brood. I expect total collapse. Might loose all the hives. HB and wax moth should  show up in force soon. After work will try to salvage what I can. Save comb for next year. Not sure if that is safe. I think I am down to 10 hives.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 01:08:38 pm »
Ed,
I lost 5 hives this spring. It was between flows during a warm 2 week period. All left behind honey and looked like they had removed as much as they could before leaving. My guess has been that due to the lack of food during warm weather, they decided to up and move to better pastures. This is what Africanized bees do in Africa during a dry spell. Most of these hives were from swarms from commercial hives that were placed right next to my farm. They come up from south FL, below I-4 (AHB territory) every year for the Gallberry flow.I strongly suspect this is what CCD is.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »
I'd treat before I'd lose them. I use Oxalic Acid vaporizer, never lost a hive to mites. Feed if necessary, trick them into thinking the flow is back on. Just guessing, good luck man and keep us posted.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 12:55:41 am »
The reason I asked if they were swarms, is a beek on here in Ms, losses a lot of his swarms every year to abscond I think.  He rarely post but he will recognize the comment if he is there....
John 3:16

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 08:40:41 pm »
 Thank-you sc-bee and others for that info. . I was told re queen swarms and cutout with queens of good genetics.This is my second year beekeeping, I consider this school. Started spring with 2 hives. Had 34 hives/nucs , lost a few sold a few, combined a few and gave a few away. Then this. Most of my bees were caught in swarm boxes. If I requeened it was with any queen cell I could get my hands on. This spring I have to master queen rearing and bee health. Good queens and healthy bees. Some bees have a tendency to swarm and obviously abscond. .That is what I have/ had  What I find odd is that they absconded on same day Perhaps timing was weather and flow related,   I just have to learn from this. If next spring is like this year I will catch 40 swarms. I will get another try at it,  I will be ready. Most of remaining 13 hives are doing well. A few are a little loud, have to make sure they are queen right.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 06:11:23 pm »
agree with GSF.. I would vaporize and insure they are good and strong for winter. If they had disease it should have been caught when inspections were done. Most diseases are treatable, afb is not, most of the rest are.  Yes, AFB can be treated, but then it must continue to be treated, Once treatments stop the disease returns.. 
   Learning is always good. Set up a schedule to inspect. Set up a schedule to vaporize. Early spring and early fall. Look up the different diseases bees can have through the winter, and by spring you'll be rip roarin ready to roll.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 10:00:49 pm »
..and by all means keep us posted, especially if others are going through the same thing in your area. I know it's got to be a bummer but they will reward you sooner or later.