Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about inside of hive.  (Read 2289 times)

Offline M3RLIN

• New Bee
Question about inside of hive.
« on: August 19, 2017, 05:54:25 am »
Ok so I only paint the outside of the pine hive. However on the inside lately on my last paint, I run Tarzan Strength Wood Glue on the inside joins to prevent hive beetle laying spots and hopefully wax moth eggs as well. Just wondering if this is ok practice ? Like the bees won't substitute the glue for wax building or anything will they ? Don't want honey tasting like plastic.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Question about inside of hive.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:56:25 am »
Neil... been using this for near on 5years now... bees leave it bee.

"Available in this handy pack of 3, Selleys No More Gaps Multi-Purpose is a general-purpose interior/ exterior
flexible gap filler. Its low shrinkage, water based formulation delivers superior flexibility & long term resistance
to cracking & crumbling, "

It is something one never used to worry about as the bees soon glued up
any inperfections themselves, but now with SHB around they have no time to bee at it so I seal
everything internal with that product. Skins in minutes and no odours, maybe a little shrinkage
if a huge "hole" but a second hit fixes that too.

As to internal painting.
Never done it myself as I prefer the bee finish a strong colony puts on raw timber.. it is a sign
your work is helping them out. That said I have handled and worked hundreds of internally
painted boxes. All I could say negative about that practice is they always manage to look
'dirty', regardless.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline M3RLIN

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:02:49 am »
Hey thanks mate. Yeah I don't paint the inside of the boxes either. In case I have to collect propolis one day. I figure maybe more organic that way. I'll try the selleys.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:22:05 pm »
Hey thanks mate. Yeah I don't paint the inside of the boxes either. In case I have to collect propolis one day. I figure maybe more organic that way. I'll try the selleys.

Another beauty of modern times is attached - this is the top super of a hive
I rescued last year after the broodchamber collapsed under white ant attack, up past
Lakeland Downs. The frames toast, I restore this maybe 50yr old box as a broodbox
for the yard.  I use foam extensively in trapouts and repairs as this one... bluudy great
stuff! :-)))))

But really I post with a "heads up"... you recall I wrote "playing it straight" is best?
Well you have had your first lesson in that "penetration" thread. None...absolutely *none*
of these online BK forums "get" our SOH. Not even that Flow forum which is supposedly
run by Aussies, something I am most skeptical about. So where they do not get Aussie
SOH they are _never_ going to get FNQ humour. "Anal" is just way too gentle a
descriptor..heh. The Admins here do mean well and really are the best of a poor lot so
don't take any missiles to heart... prolly telling you what you know already,
buuuut whatever ;-D
I recognise I carnt tellya much about web security you don't already know.. but part of that
is to be aware yet say nought. The  site is fine an' "nunyabidness" applies, that's the rule.
I tried offering similar elsewhere and the work got deleted, pronto. These guys invented(sic)
the Internet and Lasange is a truly bad dude in their book. So stick to bees and you will be
fine... and as said previously, write to the middle audience and not the bookends, righto?

I am doing some work on your other topics, more later.

Cheerio...

Bill
--
(edit - pix+dupe)

anything